Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Bass - again!

Beefyeggo

Unfortunately I am having no luck in my search for a used short scale bass. The wanted section here has come up blank and even the Bay of Evil is showing no promise. So it looks like I'm going to have to buy new....

Now I know that the best way to do this is to trot along to the local dealer and try them all out, have a think then make my decision. Unfortunately it's not an ideal world - the local dealers just don't stock them, they are order only so if I want one it's necessary to buy blind. So I'm looking for a little guidance and advice from those of you with experience with short scale bass playing.

I did, briefly, try an Epiphone EB-0 and quite liked it (I think I prefer the black finish to the cherry red) so that one must go onto the short list at apporox 150 quid although it did seem a little heavy. I was also considering the new Squier Jaguar reissue either in black with a tortoiseshell scratch plate or even Candy red, at a little over 200 quid. Sorry, but the Bronco doesn't do it for me - I have to like the way it looks, no matter how worthy an instrument it is.

So having said that can anyone make any solid recommendations? Is there anything else I should think about? I see the Danelectro reissue is available at approx 150 notes so would any of you consider that one?

Pleased to hear
Rob

Good evening, Rob...
Have you eliminated the Hofner basses from your search..? II am aware that they don't please all, but could be considered..? Of course, I'm somewhat biased; I play a Hofner Verithin (medium scale...), but the far-eastern violin basses (500/1...) are deemed to be excellent 'bang for buck', if you like the sound. Very light weight, too. I seem to remember another bassist, a few years ago, who made a fortune playing one (OK, and a Ricky, to be fair...).
Might be worth a look, at least..?

Thanks all for yr input. I did look at Hofner, but they're out of my price league... they seem to start at 450 - 500 GBP. There's a Tanglewood available at about 100 GBP cheaper but again, too much money for me - I'm new to the bass and am a 'bedroon plonker' so I don't really want to go past the £200 mark.

So far the Squier seems to be getting to the top of the list, but what about the Danelectro? Anyone use one of these?

Rob

[sup]Someone in the house band at the local jam session used a Shine violin bass for a while. Considering they are on the cheap end of the market I was impressed at the quality of the tone through a quite modestly priced Hartke rig with no real processing involved. I think the only problem with that model is that people just naturally expect you to start rattling off Beatles tunes as if that was the only music permitted to be played on them![/sup]

I have a few short scales. the Korean reissue Danelectro longhorn is great fun to play - especially when fitted with the flatwound strings LaBella make specifically for it.

my '71 fender musicmaster - & my daughters one are fun for something with a vintage vibe, but the second hand price of these is just daft.

I used to have a squier vista musicmaster. it was fun but weighed a lot ore than it should have and the neck was rather chunky.

my CIJ fender Mustang is my go-to bass. it sounds like a precision - but more so. I got mine when the going rate was £300 secondhand.

I've tried a squier Jaguar SS in candy red a while ago and loved it. I wouldn't be too bothered about the weak jazz pickup as the precision pickup sounds so good on its own. The neck was shaped just like my mustang - fast slim & easy to play, but with a fast satin finish rather than the gloss of the mustang. at £166 with the current rebate offer, I'd say this is the best shortie bass value at the moment. the only possible disadvantage I can see is that the top loader bbot means that my favourite thomastic TI JF 324 strings will be too long whereas they are perfect on the mustang.

On the 'bay I see a new Hofner Violin 'Ignition' bass with a BIN price of £219...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hofner-Ignition-Violin-Bass-Sunburst-NEW-/150714324788?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2317461734#ht_500wt_716"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hofner-Ignition-Violin-Bass-Sunburst-NEW-/150714324788?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2317461734#ht_500wt_716[/url]

...there are others, second-hand, from around £60.

I participate in the Hofner forum, and these models are fairly highly rated, even compared to the German-made 500/1. Not a 'toy' bass, by any means.
Hope this helps...

There is also a violin bass on the bay from Germany called Le marquis, available in either black or white. my g/f bought me a black one a few years ago complete with hard case for about £150. I have to say, its an excellent bass for the money, easily on par with the Squiers I tried.

Edited by 4-string-thing

Hang on.... I just spotted this one on BC, looks very nice and well priced...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162011-fs-epiphone-eb0-limited-edition-in-pelham-blue/page__pid__1459958#entry1459958"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162011-fs-epiphone-eb0-limited-edition-in-pelham-blue/page__pid__1459958#entry1459958[/url]

Finally..... the reprise. thank you to all for your various suggestions. I have finally bought the Squier Jaguar SS bass in black - got it from DV247.com for £160 delivered which is exactly £89 less than a local music shop quoted me.......

I've given it a try and rather like the guitar. The scale suits me better than the 34" scale of my Cort action bass and it certainly seems well put together. It's difficult to comment on the tone as I am only using it through a small practice amp and my limited experience is a factor, but it's acceptable to me, anyway.

The strings, however, are poor quality. I think some cost-sutting has gone on here...... I also think the black pick guard would look much better replaced by a tortoiseshell finish jobbie, which I might just do in future if I can find a supplier....

So... Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced strings? - I rather fancy tryiing flatwound strings and on that point do I really need to buy strings specifically for short scale basses? Is there really that much of a difference? - they are certainly more expensive than 34" scale strings....

Pleased to hear

Rob

[quote name='Beefyeggo' timestamp='1323867026' post='1467920']
Finally..... the reprise. thank you to all for your various suggestions. I have finally bought the Squier Jaguar SS bass in black - got it from DV247.com for £160 delivered which is exactly £89 less than a local music shop quoted me.......

I've given it a try and rather like the guitar. The scale suits me better than the 34" scale of my Cort action bass and it certainly seems well put together. It's difficult to comment on the tone as I am only using it through a small practice amp and my limited experience is a factor, but it's acceptable to me, anyway.

The strings, however, are poor quality. I think some cost-sutting has gone on here...... I also think the black pick guard would look much better replaced by a tortoiseshell finish jobbie, which I might just do in future if I can find a supplier....

So... Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced strings? - I rather fancy tryiing flatwound strings and on that point do I really need to buy strings specifically for short scale basses? Is there really that much of a difference? - they are certainly more expensive than 34" scale strings....

Pleased to hear

Rob
[/quote]

If you put long scale strings on a short scale bass, the speaking length (thick part) of the string will be wound round the post and there is a risk the strain will cause it to break. Having said that, plenty of people, me included, have done it and survived

Rotosound short and medium scale flats are the same price on stringsdirect.co.uk as long scale. Tends to be flats that are more expensive than rounds.

EDIT: But the Status Graphites are much cheaper - £13.99 vs £25 for Rotos.

Edited by spinynorman

Thanks, guys... Looks like I'll try the Status graphites. The strings fitted to the guitar as new just feel 'rough'.... unfinished, somehow (don't know if that makes any sense to you....) and left black marks on my fingers. Totally [u]not[/u] happy with these strings so will get them changed.

Again, thanks to all who have helped me with advice through this period of acquisition. Now all I need is to learn how to play the damn thing a little better!!! Having just about nailed 'Tulsa Time' in G, I feel ready to move onto something that has a third chord in it somewhere!! :)

Rob

Edited by Beefyeggo