Why become a member? ×

Optimum distance from pick up to string??

TheGreek

I've just received my custom build which looks and feels great - one issue though - virtually no volume. Is there an optimum distance for the pick ups to string?? Is it better for the string to be close or far from the pick ups and what effect does the distance have?? I've attached some photos - as you can see the Pick ups are sunk into the body - looks great but is this the cause of the lack of noise or is it a possible electrical problem? Easy fix or does it need to go back? The cost of transport is about £25 each way so you can see I'm hoping for an easy fix..

[attachment=93719:DSC_0182.jpg]

[attachment=93721:DSC_0196.jpg]

From what i know and it is limited there is an optimum distance for each pickup based on coil design and location on the bass ie neck / bridge.
Its to do with the magnetic field created around the pole piece.
Bridge pick up has less string movement and is usually slightly higher / nearer strings.
Does your bass have internal electronic "pots" to adjust the gain on each pick up which might help.

Might be worth a call to the luthier who might be able to guide you over the phone.

Good luck
Dave

It's active and has a new battery fitted - just tested it on my tongue - same as a brand new Duracell...The distance on my MMStingray is about 4mm on the custom it's about 10mm. I'm not good with electrics so I don't know what I'm looking for/at..

I've sent the luthier an email - nothing yet - I'm hoping somebody here has an educated opinion..Mr Letts/Ou7shined...??

From the angle of the second pic it looks as if the pickups are flush with the top of the body and below the height of the fretboard (?) On my jazz fiver the pickups tops are approx the same height as the fretboard. The distance from the top of the neck pickup to the bottom of the B string is 4mm and the bridge pickup is 3mm. Hope this give you a bit of a guide.

There probably is an ideal length for the pickup to be from the string but I don't think it's massively important; the pickups create a magnetic field that is disturbed by the strings which in turn produces an electrical current. Basically, the closer the pickup is to the strings then the bigger that disturbance will be and the more volume you'll get out the end of it. At any rate, I think those look a bit far away to me. Try taking them up a bit closer to the strings, you might need to put something underneath for them to sit on which is usually the case with jazz pickups. Otherwise it might be an electronics issue. Even if the battery is good, that might not be the problem.

I'm off work today - had a response from Mark who built it, - he made a number of recommendations including lifting the p/up towards the string - measured my MM Ray - gap is 4mm - set the p/ups to this - works a treat. Seems that the optimum distance between string and p/up is about 4mm..

I've sent Mark an email asking for some spacers or springs to lift the p/ups. I'm sure that most people would agree that sinking the p/ups into the body is aesthetically pleasing - just sunk a bit too low on this occassion. Niggling/frustrating/annoying but not irresolvable..

I'd say they need to be raised by quite a bit.
It will vary from pickup to pickup but most pickups will come with installation instructions that tend to quote the ideal set up height for them.

The Seymour Duncan website has PDF files for all it's pickups which include optimum height measurements

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1322132783' post='1446829']
The bass looks great by the way!
[/quote]

I know it's been said before, but the photos do not do the bass justice - I'm going to post some detailed photos later - the colour and tones of the grain are just to die for - if you're a grain/natural finish person you'd love this. Weighs the same as 3 feathers, near perfectly balanced (surprising considering that the weight is in the bridge and it has no tuners), tone from the Marcus Miller Fender pre-amp and the Seymour Duncans is excellent (especially the bridge p/up), I'm not sure if the chambered body contributes to the tone in any way.

Once I get it to make some serious noise I'll definitely be in love..

Those p'ups - are they Lightnin' Rods?

Most Seymour Duncan Jazz p'ups are recommended at 1/8" (in new money, that's 3.1 mm).

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/basslines/501035-100.pdf"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/basslines/501035-100.pdf[/url]

According to The Haynes Manual for Fender Bass, passive Jazz p'ups are supposed to be 2mm on the treble side and 2.8mm on the bass (page 91 for those interested!).

Leaving this open to interpretation, 4mm would be a long way away, and 2mm is a close as you want to be - find something that suits in the middle.

I'm a little worried that, not only are the p'ups low, but that the poles look inset on the covers. I'm not sure they're supposed to be like that either. Aesthetically it may look the bomb, but it's not ideal...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1322132682' post='1446825']I've sent Mark an email asking for some spacers or springs to lift the p/ups. I'm sure that most people would agree that sinking the p/ups into the body is aesthetically pleasing - just sunk a bit too low on this occassion. Niggling/frustrating/annoying but not irresolvable..[/quote]

Do I read this correctly? The guy who built this instrument didn't fit any apparatus for adjusting the height of the pickup? No springs, no silicon tubing, no foam bed? So, if you wanted a super low action, or a super high action, the pickup couldn't be adjusted to suit? If so, then the guy's an idiot. For optimum performance, you have to be able to adjust the height of the pickup. That's electric bass design 101.

[quote]he made a number of recommendations including lifting the p/up towards the string - measured my MM Ray - gap is 4mm - set the p/ups to this - works a treat. Seems that the optimum distance between string and p/up is about 4mm..[/quote]
FFS That's his gig. Ask if you can have a refund for the cost of doing your own, albeit partial, setup.
I would be less than impressed. Very shoddy!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1322133657' post='1446854']
I notice that too - looks like the pickups aren't in the covers properly.
[/quote]

Looks that way to me too. That's why I like having something to put the pickups on rather than just using the springs to keep them up because really those jazz pickups are not held in to their covers any other way.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1322134050' post='1446868']
Do I read this correctly? The guy who built this instrument didn't fit any apparatus for adjusting the height of the pickup? No springs, no silicon tubing, no foam bed? So, if you wanted a super low action, or a super high action, the pickup couldn't be adjusted to suit? If so, then the guy's an idiot. For optimum performance, you have to be able to adjust the height of the pickup. That's electric bass design 101.
[/quote]
[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1322134239' post='1446873']
FFS That's his gig. Ask if you can have a refund for the cost of doing your own, albeit partial, setup.
I would be less than impressed. Very shoddy!
[/quote]

+1. Even I knew to put something underneath the pickups so they were at a reasonable distance to the strings and I'd never even built one before lol.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322134435' post='1446876']
I have a SD Jazz pickup and it looks like that.
[/quote]

I've just rechecked - the Quarter Pounders do have a recess - the Lightnin' Rods (and all other SD active p'ups don't).

My apologies for the misleading comment :) I made an incorrect assumption - the recommended setting is still 1/8"

For those who don't have one, Stew Mac do a wonderful thingy for this:

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Straightedges/String_Action_Gauge.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=343"]http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Straightedges/String_Action_Gauge.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=343[/url]

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1322133657' post='1446854']
I notice that too - looks like the pickups aren't in the covers properly.
[/quote]
Yeah i saw that. On 3 Jazz basses that i have the strings are:
[list]
[*]closer to the PuPs
[*]run between the poles and not beside them
[/list]

B

Just out of interest, what do people use under their p'ups?

Personally, I prefer foam (I usually get the Fender ones) as I tend to anchor me thum on the p'up, and have had problems with spring movement in the past. I've always associated the silicone tube with low end gear, but can't profess to've ever given it a go.

I assume everybody uses something?!?

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1322138567' post='1446992']
Yeah i saw that. On 3 Jazz basses that i have the strings are:
[list]
[*]closer to the PuPs
[*]run between the poles and not beside them
[/list]
B
[/quote]

Interesting comment. Looking at the picture from the bridge, alignment seems to be over the pole pieces for the neck, but the string spacing seems a little wide for the bridge p'up...

The bridge p'up is supposed to be wider than the neck to counteract this effect...

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322134435' post='1446876']
I have a SD Jazz pickup and it looks like that.
[/quote]

I've just been having a nose around the Seymour Duncan site again & there are some pickups on there that do indeed have the pole pieces below the height of the cover.

Never noticed that before.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1322086115' post='1446468']
It's active and has a new battery fitted - just tested it on my tongue - same as a brand new Duracell...
[/quote]

DON'T DO THAT WITH A BATTERY - ITS DANGEROUS ESPECIALLY MORE SO WITH A LONG LIFE BATTERY LIKE DURACELL.
This has been known to kill.

These batteries are banned from intrinsically safe hazardous areas because of the increased discharge current which can cause spark and explosion.

I wouldn't do that if i were you.

Sorry for being a nerd but thought i should point that out.

Very nice bass though. :)

Cheers
Dave