Why become a member? ×

Fender basses: not badly made but badly set up?

bassist_lewis

when I was about 16/17 a vowed never to play a Fender because everyone played a Fender. However, I'm changing my mind, as with the stratocaster, the sound of Fender Ps and Js has become a trademark of genres and players, even pick-ups are sometimes referred as 'jazz style' or 'precision style' by non-Fender manufacturers.There's no escape!!!

So I was playing an American Deluxe Jazz V today and felt that it was a very nice instrument but that it hadn't been well set-up out of the box, the neck pick-up was too quiet and needed to be raised, the string heights were kind of radiused like you'd find on a double bass so the A stuck up and tripped my fingers over and the relief (or general string height) could have done with being a bit lower.

Is this a common thing with new fenders, that it has an off-putting set-up? And how far can it be undone? I like a super-low action but then my Clover's fingerboard is almost flat

thanks in advance

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1322081530' post='1446390']
when I was about 16/17 a vowed never to play a Fender because everyone played a Fender. However, I'm changing my mind, as with the stratocaster, the sound of Fender Ps and Js has become a trademark of genres and players, even pick-ups are sometimes referred as 'jazz style' or 'precision style' by non-Fender manufacturers.There's no escape!!!

So I was playing an American Deluxe Jazz V today and felt that it was a very nice instrument but that it hadn't been well set-up out of the box, the neck pick-up was too quiet and needed to be raised, the string heights were kind of radiused like you'd find on a double bass so the A stuck up and tripped my fingers over and the relief (or general string height) could have done with being a bit lower.

Is this a common thing with new fenders, that it has an off-putting set-up? And how far can it be undone? I like a super-low action but then my Clover's fingerboard is almost flat

thanks in advance
[/quote]
In my experience it's not Fenders any more than any other manufacturer that you're likely to find in a shop. They are never set up how I would want them. For a start they always have roundwound strings.

The only time I bought a new bass that was already set up to my liking was direct from Lakland in Chicago and the set up survived the trans-Atlantic trip.

I think mit`s hit and miss. I`ve bought various basses and guitars, by Fender, and other companies, and have only ever had one which I was immediately satisfied with, out of the box (bought on-line). A Fender Classic 50s Precision. All the others required adjustments.

This is why basses can grow on you, for the first few weeks I can't help but be fiddling with pickup heights, string heights, truss rod tension etc until none of these things are noticeable. Its comfy then and I'm happy.

One of the reasons Fenders are so popular is they Leo got the basics right, even the sound, so as long there's nothing wrong with the bass it can be honed to work for you.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1322082799' post='1446417']
In my experience it's not Fenders any more than any other manufacturer that you're likely to find in a shop. They are never set up how I would want them.................

[/quote]

I went into Gtrgtr the other day..and I swear I couldn't find one decent bass set up well...IMO.
That was for starters...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1322129554' post='1446765']
Set up is an incredibly personal thing, so why should you expect a bass to be set up to your tastes?
[/quote]
I think this is dead right. Even if an instrument has been, in a sense, well set up there is no guarantee that it will be how you want it. As I said above, for me, they never have the right strings on so any set up is going to be changed by me anyway.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1322129554' post='1446765']
Set up is an incredibly personal thing, so why should you expect a bass to be set up to your tastes?
[/quote]

Man, I almost clicked on the up arrow.

Instead I will say that I agree with this - it's never going to be right for everyone. I never expect a bass to be set up for me when I first get a hold of it, be it new or used. If it is then it is a happy accident.

Having said that, I usually buy raggedy old basses with even raggedy-er strings, so it's on with a new set of strings and that mandates a new setup anyway. I think it's super important that bass players learn to do their own setups - it's easy once you know how and then you can get it exactly how you want it instead of trying to describe to a third party, a middleman between you and the bass how you want your setup done.

I think that this may stem from the fact that there's a much wider range of preferred set ups on the bass than they are on the guitar, where the majority of players want a low action with no fret buzz.

On a bass a set up for someone who plays finger style and barely tickles the strings isn't going to suit a player who thrashes away with a pick and vice-versa. Therefore you need an average set up that is going to suit as many people but not those at the extremes. I think the sort of people who post here are a bit more picky about what suits and what doesn't.

My advice for those who need to play a bass set up to their requirements before buying is to cultivate a good relationship with you local music shop(s). Once they realise that you are serious about your gear and spending money with them you should find them much more accommodating.

hmmm a bass marked up at £2100 and not playable from an action POV.

I don't feel inclined to have to change it that much in order to want to pick it up.

It is not like a low-ish action is alien to most bass players..

I would have had to take allen keys just for the bridge..and I think that is a step too far.
Attending to the neck is way out on order.

My conclusion was that this shop wasn't that concerned about the instruments it had for sale and they may well have been sitting in the window for ages..maybe a few years
and moved around their branches.

History of kit is an intangible thing at the best of times...but this doesn't auger well, IMO..at all..!!