Why become a member? ×

amp and cab combinations

zac362

Hi all,

quick question for you all, I've always had combo amps but I've just bought a GK mb500, and I'm not quite sure what cab i should pair it with, I'm really no expert on this stuff, i had the mb212 in mind, but that was a shallow decision based purely on the fact that they would both say Gallien-Krueger on, that should give you a good indication of my knowledge on the subject :) anyway, I've waffled, any help would be massively appreciated, i don't wanna rush into buying one I'm not sure of.

Cheers Zac.

I would also consider trying a Barefaced Compact if you get the opportunity - either borrow one or use the Barefaced one-month money-back trial. I did this and was able to use said cab in gig situations during that time to give it a proper workout. And these cabs are currently on offer. I now use two of these cabs driven by Ashdown and am mightily pleased with them.

Cheers

Geoff

As the others have said, take your head to a shop and try it through other cabs. Manufacturers will always say their heads work best through their cabs. But it's ultimately what your ears will take to the most. I love Ampeg cabs but cant stand their heads, my playing just doesn't seem to work with them, same for MB heads and TC, yet I can get a good sound out of MB cabs but not Aguilar cabs. Different horses and that.

Play around and see what comes up best with your playing!

Dan

My current first-choice rig is my GK MB500 played through a Barefaced Compact + Barefaced Midget. Very impressive.

I don't know you, your band, or your playing, but I'd still be confident to recommend that combination.

Barefaced cabs aren't cheap, but Alex has a special offer on the Compact at the moment. You could get the Compact now and, if you like it enough, add the Midget later. Modular is the way to go ...

i have no idea what grunt is either but it seemed to sound right at the time :) i might look a bit more into the Barefaced compacts, from what I've heard they seem to be the dogs cojones, and they look the part as well, nicest looking cabs I've seen, thanks again for all the help

[quote name='zac362' timestamp='1321643648' post='1441645']
its funny you should mention Barefaced, I've just been looking at them, do you think the compact has enough grunt? i was looking at the 'super twelve' but its firmly out of my grasp in terms of price :)

Zac.
[/quote]

Plenty. I`ve got a Compact/Midget set-up, but in all honesty, I could easily just use the Compact.

The Midget enables the sound to be higher up, so easier on my ears, plus I`m from the school of "as many speakers as possible", so even only having two speakers I feel "under-dressed" but in reality, I`m sure the Compact would be fine on it`s own for my set-up.

Plenty on here use a single Compact.

The other good thing I`ve found about Barefaced cabs is that they don`t colour the sound. Some companies products have a specific sound - Ampeg for example, which I love, btw - but with Barefaced, if you like the sound of your amp and bass, all their cabs do is project that sound.

Edited by Lozz196

the argument for Barefaced over everything else is becoming quite one sided, you're a persuasive bunch :) already trying to figure out where i could get the extra cash. The upside for the mbe212 was you seemed to get a lot of bang for your buck, but if i invest a bit more it seems like id be better off.

Zac.