Why become a member? ×

Slapping or Fingering!?!??!

Leemarc Ferguson

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1321629222' post='1441429']
Um, you clearly have only seen the smaller version mate. The original (which had correct aspect ratio) was over double that size.

:)
[/quote]

No I saw both if not a few versions, the previous sets of sigs all 3 of you were of a similar size for a period yet they have all shrunk. I even narrowed my own before my first pedant post :)

I love this thread!! There's a certain irony that in the past a thread about a slap video has notoriously ended up having a comment about the ole 'building a shed with a drum kit' slappage being a compensation for a lack of something else - and in this discussion about fingers and slapping we're all discussing the size of our signatures! See, this kinda humour just wouldn't happen on a Guitar forum! ha ha ha!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1321630111' post='1441444']
[size=6]I'm [/size]
[size=6]sticking [/size]
[size=6]with [/size]
[size=6]this [/size]
[size=6]thread, [/size]
[size=6]so that [/size]
[size=6]when [/size]
[size=6]it [/size]
[size=6]descends [/size]
[size=6]into [/size]
[size=6]the [/size]
[size=6]'people [/size]
[size=6]have [/size]
[size=6]too [/size]
[size=6]much [/size]
[size=6]useless [/size]
[size=6]information [/size]
[size=6]in [/size]
[size=6]their [/size]
[size=6]sigs - [/size]
[size=6]nobody [/size]
[size=6]gives [/size]
[size=6]a [/size]
[size=6]sh!t [/size]
[size=6]what [/size]
[size=6]kind [/size]
[size=6]of [/size]
[size=6]bass [/size]
[size=6]you[/size]
[size=6]have [/size]
[size=6]unless[/size]
[size=6]it's [/size]
[size=6]for [/size]
[size=6]sale!' [/size]
[size=6]argument, [/size]
[size=6]so [/size]
[size=6]I [/size]
[size=6]can[/size]
[size=6]join [/size]
[size=6]in! [/size] :)
[/quote]

Wow can you narrow that down a bit :)

Can I just add, that in the defence of any newbies, it does say this when you go to Edit Signature

[b] Edit Signature[/b]
Your signature may contain:
• Any number images
[u][b]• Images of any size[/b][/u]
• Any number of URLs
[u][b]• Any number of lines[/b][/u]

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Leemarc Ferguson' timestamp='1321629278' post='1441431']
Well someone once told me size matters........!! :)
[/quote]

IME only us guys would ever state that comment. :)
Women are always too reserved to admit to that fact. :) :o

i don't slap with any great skill but don't mind occasionally to enhance what I'm doing.
Fingerstyle i have been doing now for 30 out of 35 yrs and I'm ok at what i do. I'm no Wooten or Berlin but bands i play with know they'll get someone who can play whatever is asked or whatever is required for the song to sound good.
That's what its all about for me.

Dave

Hi Leemarc, welcome to the forum!

You obviously need to dedicate a lot of time to both techniques to be considered proficient. I dedicated a lot more time to playing fingerstyle because I believe the technique of slap bass has become redundant in modern day music, and fingerstyle will always be the more prominent style of playing bass with the kind of music I regularly record and perform. Equal importance should be placed on pick playing as well nowadays, as I think for many bass players who work hard on getting their technique down, pick playing is often an afterthought, and it shouldn't be because it accounts for a lot of what goes down on modern recordings. Just my 2p!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1321633499' post='1441492']

You obviously need to dedicate a lot of time to both techniques to be considered proficient. I dedicated a lot more time to playing fingerstyle because I believe the technique of slap bass has become redundant in modern day music, and fingerstyle will always be the more prominent style of playing bass with the kind of music I regularly record and perform. Equal importance should be placed on pick playing as well nowadays, as I think for many bass players who work hard on getting their technique down, pick playing is often an afterthought, and it shouldn't be because it accounts for a lot of what goes down on modern recordings. Just my 2p!
[/quote][quote name='risingson' timestamp='1321633499' post='1441492']

[/quote]

You raise a valid point here. However having been to the states I know slap style is very popular over there and in the UK the fingerstyle is more prominent

[quote name='Leemarc Ferguson' timestamp='1321633722' post='1441498']
You raise a valid point here. However having been to the states I know slap style is very popular over there and in the UK the fingerstyle is more prominent
[/quote]

True, and it depends on what kind of music you perform of course. Also there are no rules to anything. Anthony Jackson plays with a pick all over music that you wouldn't expect the bass player to be using a pick on, and I'm sure there are plenty of vice versa scenarios too. Having plenty of strings to your bow is never a bad thing.

Oh this is such a good thread :o and the humour is as it should be :) .

Slap and fingers are as valid as each other its just how and when you use them. You speak through your instrument. Your communicating, expressing etc etc. Its your voice. How hard it is depends on what level you want to achieve. To my ears that ratio should be 99.9% for fingers to 0.1% slap.

Oh and now I suppose the fashion is for a small sig is it? Grrrrr :) suppose Ill have to start selling some basses.

[color=#FF0000][size=6]WOMEN FOR SALE. GET YOUR WOMEN HERE WHILE THEIR HOT[/size][/color].................. :)

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1321635033' post='1441526']
Oh this is such a good thread :o and the humour is as it should be :o .

Slap and fingers are as valid as each other its just how and when you use them. You speak through your instrument. Your communicating, expressing etc etc. Its your voice. How hard it is depends on what level you want to achieve. To my ears that ratio should be 99.9% for fingers to 0.1% slap.

Oh and now I suppose the fashion is for a small sig is it? Grrrrr :) suppose Ill have to start selling some basses.

[color=#ff0000][size=6]WOMEN FOR SALE. GET YOUR WOMEN HERE WHILE THEIR HOT[/size][/color].................. :)

A
[/quote] You gave ALL your basses names :) ?

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1321655074' post='1441805']
You gave ALL your basses names :) ?
[/quote]

Erm well once one got one (Blondie) it just seemed right. Didnt want any of them to feel left out. You know how it is. :o
Ive got problems havent I? :)

(Curls up in a corner and rocks slowly back and forth muttering with a thousand yard stare :) )

A

PS the GF calls them 'My Bitches' :o

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1321697195' post='1441999']
Erm well once one got one (Blondie) it just seemed right. Didnt want any of them to feel left out. You know how it is. :o
Ive got problems havent I? :)

(Curls up in a corner and rocks slowly back and forth muttering with a thousand yard stare :) )

A

PS the GF calls them 'My Bitches' :o
[/quote]

Okay, that's cool, just as long as you're not propping them up in chairs and asking "what shall we talk about tonight?" :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If you're a journeyman holding a down a gig in the sort of band that most of are probably in, you really need to have the Bobby Vega approach.

Fingerstyle
Pick Style
Slap
Fretless.

Covers them all.
As with any subject, you should spend the most time on your weakest aspect. I would be ashamed to not be able to do a job on any of them.
I have to say that my wilderness years as a guitarist (where I set out to play fingerstyle initially) taught me to pick up that little lump of plastic.
Slap and fingerstyle were never a problem, fretless too to a lesser extent.
You have to be able to do them all in my opinion and should practice accordingly.

YMMV / YMCA / ETC

I find transitioning smoothly between fingerstyle and slap is hard, too much shifting is required. Which is a shame because the style I enjoy most is probably something like the old Sugarhill recordings.

Slap is an inherently more difficult technique to start with than finger playing as even a single hit requires a fast, accurate flick and recoil. But either can be taken to any level. One thing that's probably a mistake in my opinion is to be a better slapper than you are a fingerer! Oh dear. But really, players like that don't generally go down well.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1321718192' post='1442373']
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If you're a journeyman holding a down a gig in the sort of band that most of are probably in, you really need to have the Bobby Vega approach.

Fingerstyle
Pick Style
Slap
Fretless.

Covers them all.
As with any subject, you should spend the most time on your weakest aspect. I would be ashamed to not be able to do a job on any of them.
I have to say that my wilderness years as a guitarist (where I set out to play fingerstyle initially) taught me to pick up that little lump of plastic.
Slap and fingerstyle were never a problem, fretless too to a lesser extent.
You have to be able to do them all in my opinion and should practice accordingly.

YMMV / YMCA / ETC
[/quote]

Agree that if you are a professional bassist and by that i mean session, gigging, recording and its your sole job then yes you need evrything at your disposal.
Same would probably go for guys covering varying styles of music ie, club bands, wedding bands etc where a wide style of music can be requested.

However if you are dedicated to one style of music ie rock, metal, funk, blues, jazz then is there really much requirement for learning all those styles apart from self interest and satisfaction which is why i learned most of these styles.
Maybe one or two at best.

I think the OP has a valid requirement to know all of them with enough skill to obtain the quality gigs based on what I've read about him here on BC.

Again its horses for courses IMO

Dave