Why become a member? ×

Letter From The Editor

nick@ibassmag

I was on the verge to subscribing but will now be delaying my decision given the uncertainty about issue regularity and, more importantly, lack of communication.

The changes mentioned in their reply to maxcat sound good but why on earth would a magazine not communicate this to its current and potential customers and choose instead to cause widespread concern by delaying publication. Surely it would have been better to publish issue #3 in the normal way and explain in that issue how the next one may be delayed because of all the wonderful proposed changes?

I suspect that no news is bad news and will be hanging on to my money for the duration.

The saying is "publish and be damned", but in this situation "publish or be damned" seems more apposite. Quippery aside, with periodical publications of this variety, meeting deadlines is a fundamental and overriding consideration, substantially ahead of quality control concerns or product development aspirations. You have a covenant with your subscribers to deliver, and to deliver on time. For a technologically aware, new media savvy business to abandon communications is staggeringly shortsighted, let alone for a start-up to demonstrate this level of disdain for its lifeblood, its readership.

I am a subscriber and I am also wondering what has happened. Surely some communication even it is "we are having some difficulties please bear with us". Nevermind something to say either stick with it and we'll add something to thank you for your patience or we'll return your money, etc.

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1331026305' post='1566343']
I am a subscriber and I am also wondering what has happened. Surely some communication even it is "we are having some difficulties please bear with us". Nevermind something to say either stick with it and we'll add something to thank you for your patience or we'll return your money, etc.
[/quote]
Aye, you can add me to the list of disenchanted subscribers too. Even if the mag does start reappearing on a regular basis, I doubt I'll be renewing my subscription after this deafening silence. :angry:

Hi all,

Contrary to reports, we are still forging ahead with the project, which is now really starting to take shape. The reprogramming has taken much longer than we had hoped, which is one of the drawbacks of having such a small team here. But we are on the brink of putting together something really special that's already beginning to evolve into other things. The relaunch is now days away, which includes some brand-new bonus material for those who've already subscribed..and we've got some great video interviews with Richard Bona, Janek Gwizdala, Duff McKagan, Ron Carter, Mark King and Pino Palladino all set for future issues.. plus a behind the scenes tour of Fodera Guitars.. so some really great stuff. I'll be the first to admit that it's been a difficult few months while we find our feet, but we are so, so grateful to everyone who's shown an interest in what we're trying to do.

Thanks again for sticking with us.
As soon as I have anymore news, you'll be the first to know.

Nick

Well, when you say "contrary to reports" ..... those reports appear as you don't see fit to keep people updated. People HAVE NOT been sticking with you, and you have some damage to repair.

You have annoyed a lot of people. And when you say "as soon as I have anymore news, you'll be the first to know", that's exactly the opposite to how you've been operating before.

Seeing will be believing in future.

I really want this project to work, I thoroughly enjoyed the second edition - particularly the Jaco video, and am waiting with baited breath for the next instalment, but I have to say; the longer I wait, the less impressed I am.

I really enjoyed the first two issues. Especially the artists interviews and lessons.

I understand people's frustration at the delay in releasing the 3rd issue but I found it quite easy to get updates direct from Nick at ibass as to what was happening so I have sympathy with the problems they have faced and I will be sticking with them as I'm sure most reasonable people will be.

I do hope this means I'll be able to read it on the go via my iPhone.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all..

Firstly, thanks again for being so patient while we get iBass off the ground. We really do have some fantastic editorial coming your way and for those who are feeling a little frustrated with the time it's taken to get to this point I can only apologise and hope you'll appreciate that we're a VERY small and independant team that's trying to build something new and exciting without the support of an established publishing house. We've also been busy reacting to feedback from our current subscribers, which has led to a lot of re-programming.

The good news is that we will be rolling out the new format this week with each issue now available for free. We're also introducing a new members only area for paying subscribers that we'll be continually updating with extended video edits and exclusive competitions. The iPad and Android editions are still waiting in the wings and, all being well, will be released in the coming weeks along with a few other new additions. So, there's a lot to look forward to and I truly hope you'll stick with us as we get up and running again.

Please do sign up to the mailing list..
http://www.ibassmag.com

Or link up via our social networking sites and I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Nick

[quote name='nick@ibassmag' timestamp='1334500619' post='1616865']
The good news is that we will be rolling out the new format this week with each issue now available for free.

We're also introducing a new members only area for paying subscribers that we'll be continually updating with extended video edits and exclusive competitions. [/quote]

Okey-doke. Can existing paid subscribers now migrate to the free edition and receive a refund? In other words, are you extending the same offer to them as you are to new readers?

An early response here to this question would be appreciated by many. :)

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='nick@ibassmag' timestamp='1334500619' post='1616865']
Hi all..
[/quote]
Well, two days have elapsed since I posed a fairly simple question.

Perhaps the delay is because Mr iBassmag has not subscribed to the thread. <_<

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1334687082' post='1619836']
Well, two days have elapsed since I posed a fairly simple question.

Perhaps the delay is because Mr iBassmag has not subscribed to the thread. <_<
[/quote]

...which is why a load of BC users will not subscribe to iBassmagazine. The whole thing seems to have been launched without being planned or structured adequately.

I appreciate your a very small team, Nick - but I've seen other, equally small teams, do better. It's the basics which keep putting me off - someone asks a question, you get no answer. What part of that transactions says [i]this is something I can trust and want to get involved in?[/i]

Answers on a postcard.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335115997' post='1625971']
I appreciate your a very small team, Nick - but I've seen other, equally small teams, do better. It's the basics which keep putting me off - someone asks a question, you get no answer. What part of that transactions says [i]this is something I can trust and want to get involved in?[/i]

Answers on a postcard.
[/quote]

As a potential customer i can only agree. Taking subscription fees and then offering most of the content for free is just going to help you alienate current subscribers and put off potential subscribers like me! Not that giving feedback seems to work as they ignore one of the forums containing a huge target audience.

No wonder you guys are struggling. Youre making hard for yourselves!

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1335119009' post='1626030']
As a subscriber I can't seem to access the extra content. Am I doing something wrong?
[/quote]

must be the same thing as me; I can't seem to access it either.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1335117358' post='1625997']
I guess Nick is not able to post on here due to being a business. I doubt he is ignoring anyone. The mag looks pretty good to me and the extra content seems well worth the small subscription.
[/quote]

He's welcome to post. I'm not sure how forum savvy he is though which looks like its turning out to be a big problem.

Perhaps someone who is on the emailing list or connected to the publication through one of their social network alternatives could post whatever updates come here on BC as well? Btw, wouldn't BC be THE social network for someone starting a UK-based bass eMag?

Anyway, still having my fingers crossed for an iPad version soon.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1335117358' post='1625997']
I guess Nick is not able to post on here due to being a business. I doubt he is ignoring anyone. [/quote]

Well he started this thread, so posting on it is clearly not a problem. And I don't think he's [i]deliberately[/i] ignoring anyone. I just think he's banging out 'press releases' and forgetting to check back because he's very, very busy. Which is understandable but also unwise.

Earlier in this thread I counselled that we should give him some time to get his sh*t sorted out. I stand by that, but I also think he should clarify his position re: existing subscribers and new subscribers. Pronto.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1335124012' post='1626115']
He's welcome to post. I'm not sure how forum savvy he is though which looks like its turning out to be a big problem.
[/quote]

Which is a shame, as when you're putting out a small publication, nailing the social media can make all the difference - hence my previous reference about there being some brilliant examples of doing it right. Looking at One&Other.com, which is run by some mates. It can really cut through for you; flirt with it and get it wrong, and you just sink. Like here.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335209985' post='1627399']
Which is a shame, as when you're putting out a small publication, nailing the social media can make all the difference - hence my previous reference about there being some brilliant examples of doing it right. Looking at One&Other.com, which is run by some mates. It can really cut through for you; flirt with it and get it wrong, and you just sink. Like here.
[/quote]

I agree. I've tried to liaise with iBass (for mutual benefit eventually, for theirs initially) but it hasn't really got far. Nick doesn't seem pro-active getting a banner booked on BC and I've only left this forum because I'm trying to help the mag but I'm in the dark too, and will probably remove the iBass sub-forum and put the posts in the parent forum at some point.

I think we would all like to help the mag, after all the more bass related industry we have in the UK the better for all of us, but communication is pretty important, as is peoples money...