Why become a member? ×

Little Mark Tube 800

leroydiamond

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1320782135' post='1431427']
I reckon they sound too similar to justify as an upgrade. Definitely try the Genz Benz Streamliner before you buy the Markbass.
Andy
[/quote]
thanks Andy. I am very happy with the markbass sound, just thinking the extra wattage of the 800 will increase headroom

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1320779800' post='1431367']
i plan to going from one markbass cab to two so I am considering moving up from the little mark11 to the little mark tube 800.
Has anyone tried the 800? if so what are the opinions on these amp? are they a good upgrade from the little mark 11
many thanks
[/quote]

You could still use the LM2 with two MB cabs very nicely.. the Tube800 is nice, so I've heard

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1322150582' post='1447277']
....You could still use the LM2 with two MB cabs very nicely....
[/quote]
[size=4]+1[/size]

[size=4]Which cabs?[/size]

[size=4]500 watts can easily drive 2 410's so I'd get the second MB cab and see what you think about the LM2 at that point. [/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1322156456' post='1447389']
+1

Which cabs?

500 watts can easily drive 2 410's so I'd get the second MB cab and see what you think about the LM2 at that point.
[/quote]
i am already using a little mark 11 with a 1by 15 and 2by10 traveller cabs and it performs well. Just feel like a treat and hance my interest in the little mark 800. However there are other options in the same price range such as the genz benz streamliner 9 and the ampeg svt 7 pro. I just got an email from markbass confirming that the tube in the 800 is not user servicable as its soldered into the motherboard, which to say the least is a turn off.

Edited by leroydiamond

I've go the tube 500, and whilst they really divide opinion I'm on the plus side, although I have been disappointed by the re-sale value. Dialed right across to the solid state pre-amp you'll have something near identical to what you have and mixing in the tube brings in a lot of warmth. However, not everybody agrees so either it's my preference for a tube and a bit of pyscho-acoustics, they aren't consistent or some ears don't notice. I can't imagine having 800 watts on tap, I've run mine through 2 112s, an old Hartke 410 and an Ashdown 810 and it's never got beyond 4 on the volume. It is pretty linear as well the times I've been pratting around and experimented with how far it'll go have resulted in some serious power.

Oh, and you won't get any grit from it at all, not that kind of valve.

Edited by scalpy

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1322317557' post='1449321']
I've go the tube 500, and whilst they really divide opinion I'm on the plus side, although I have been disappointed by the re-sale value. Dialed right across to the solid state pre-amp you'll have something near identical to what you have and mixing in the tube brings in a lot of warmth. However, not everybody agrees so either it's my preference for a tube and a bit of pyscho-acoustics, they aren't consistent or some ears don't notice. I can't imagine having 800 watts on tap, I've run mine through 2 112s, an old Hartke 410 and an Ashdown 810 and it's never got beyond 4 on the volume. It is pretty linear as well the times I've been pratting around and experimented with how far it'll go have resulted in some serious power.

Oh, and you won't get any grit from it at all, not that kind of valve.
[/quote]

thats good info. Thanks for taking the time to post

The problem with the 'Tube' Markbass amps is that the tube is miniscule. We are talking a very very small that is, as I mentioned, soldered to the board.

It will have a very subtle effect, and to my ears doesnt really add what a tube pre normally does. You might like it.

If you want a big, warm, clear and smooth sound, the Streamliner is hard to beat. If you want it more 'middy/low mid kick' the TC RH amps are also a nice option, and sound very tubey despite having ZERO tubes. :)

Hi , I have both LittleMark 3 and a Tube 800 amp . I bought the Tube 800 to give me an edge over the two rather loud guitarists that I played with . I tend to have all the Eq flat with a small amount of VLE to try and give a bit of '' vintageness '' to my sound .
The tube effect is not hugely apparent , many people argue that they cannot hear it at all , but I think I can pick it up when I start to dig in and play fairly hard .
The Little Mark 3 has a very warm / deep sound which is great when played on its own , I also use the LM3 for duo work with an acoustic guitarist as it seems to fill out the sound and give a really good foundation in this type of music .
The Tube 800 was a bit of a dissappointment when I first got it , played on its own it does not have the fullness of the LM3 , but I took it to some gigs with a loud Pub Rock band and the Low/mids really seem to punch through the mix of two over zealous guitarists .
I also have plenty of power in reserve ( which I probably wont need ) , but its there if needed .
I am no sound engineer , so forgive my amatuerish description , but there are other factors like type of bass/ Cab /pedals etc that you may use .
Hope this helps

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1322483239' post='1451241']
The problem with the 'Tube' Markbass amps is that the tube is miniscule. We are talking a very very small that is, as I mentioned, soldered to the board.

It will have a very subtle effect, and to my ears doesnt really add what a tube pre normally does. You might like it.

If you want a big, warm, clear and smooth sound, the Streamliner is hard to beat. If you want it more 'middy/low mid kick' the TC RH amps are also a nice option, and sound very tubey despite having ZERO tubes. :)
[/quote]

A mate of mine uses a TC and we both agreed the little mark 11 has the edge over it. But it sounds like the streamliner might be a better buy over the tube 800. Whats the point of having a tube preamp unless unless it has the desired effect. The only other option in the same price range might be an Ampeg svt 7 pro
thanks

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1322502447' post='1451691']
Hi , I have both LittleMark 3 and a Tube 800 amp . I bought the Tube 800 to give me an edge over the two rather loud guitarists that I played with . I tend to have all the Eq flat with a small amount of VLE to try and give a bit of '' vintageness '' to my sound .
The tube effect is not hugely apparent , many people argue that they cannot hear it at all , but I think I can pick it up when I start to dig in and play fairly hard .
The Little Mark 3 has a very warm / deep sound which is great when played on its own , I also use the LM3 for duo work with an acoustic guitarist as it seems to fill out the sound and give a really good foundation in this type of music .
The Tube 800 was a bit of a dissappointment when I first got it , played on its own it does not have the fullness of the LM3 , but I took it to some gigs with a loud Pub Rock band and the Low/mids really seem to punch through the mix of two over zealous guitarists .
I also have plenty of power in reserve ( which I probably wont need ) , but its there if needed .
I am no sound engineer , so forgive my amatuerish description , but there are other factors like type of bass/ Cab /pedals etc that you may use .
Hope this helps
[/quote]
thanks. guess if I am goiing to go for an upgrade on the little mark 11 it needs to be a knockout amp and I would hate to buy an amp and find any dissappointment with it. I use markbass traveler 2by10 and 1bycabs and am quite pleased with them. They are reliable, portable and punchy

Perhaps I should not have used the word '' dissappointment '' in my description , I think ''different '' is a better word to use .
As a long time Markbass user , my ears are used to the LM3 and LM250 sound , so I was probably expecting the same ( but bigger ) in the 800.
I have also learnt the long, slow + expensive way that amps and cabs that sound fantastic on there own ,ie LM3, sometimes sound quite different in a loud band situation .
New amps also take some time to get used to, and finding your ''sound '' in an amp will only come after a number of gigs .
The Tube 800 is definately my amp of choice in a big band setting , it really does seem to find that space between guitars and drums so that you have an audible / defined bass sound even if the guitarists are doing their best to wipe you out .
If I had to sell one of the amps ( I think I may have to ,anyway ) , I would probably keep the 800 and sell the LM3 .

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1322641842' post='1453740']
Perhaps I should not have used the word '' dissappointment '' in my description , I think ''different '' is a better word to use .
As a long time Markbass user , my ears are used to the LM3 and LM250 sound , so I was probably expecting the same ( but bigger ) in the 800.
I have also learnt the long, slow + expensive way that amps and cabs that sound fantastic on there own ,ie LM3, sometimes sound quite different in a loud band situation .
New amps also take some time to get used to, and finding your ''sound '' in an amp will only come after a number of gigs .
The Tube 800 is definately my amp of choice in a big band setting , it really does seem to find that space between guitars and drums so that you have an audible / defined bass sound even if the guitarists are doing their best to wipe you out .
If I had to sell one of the amps ( I think I may have to ,anyway ) , I would probably keep the 800 and sell the LM3 .
[/quote]

I agree with regard to amps sounding quite different on their own when compared with a band situation. I have tried out gear in shops loving the tone and when its transferred to a gig situation it can be a let down.

+1 to that. I inevitably find that the tones I really don`t like on their own work really well in the mix. I`ve only ever heard a Markbass amp at quiet volumes, and would probably hate it loud, but every time I`ve seen one being used with a band, the bass has sounded fantastic. They just seem to "fit".

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1322655292' post='1453957']
+1 to that. I inevitably find that the tones I really don`t like on their own work really well in the mix. I`ve only ever heard a Markbass amp at quiet volumes, and would probably hate it loud, but every time I`ve seen one being used with a band, the bass has sounded fantastic. They just seem to "fit".
[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1322658700' post='1454018']
I think that was the goal for the Markbass cabs, hence why some people aren't keen on try outs. They tend to sound good in the mix but a little odd on their own.
[/quote]

I think it's the best way round.. Most people 'think' they know how the amp/cab should 'sound', in reality you don't really know until you play at a gig or two.. Markbass is very good at fitting in.. They are marketed as the working musicians rig.. and that what it does and very well.. I think Mark tube is really if you like MB, but want a a 'little' bit of tube, if you want something different, try something else..

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1322517798' post='1452114']
A mate of mine uses a TC and we both agreed the little mark 11 has the edge over it. But it sounds like the streamliner might be a better buy over the tube 800. Whats the point of having a tube preamp unless unless it has the desired effect. The only other option in the same price range might be an Ampeg svt 7 pro
thanks
[/quote]

I've never gotten on with the TC's I find them to fiddley.. I would like to try a TC head with MB cab or BF cab though just to see if I felt differently.. I have no love for the TC cabs

I would agree with everyone on here- I have an LM2 and it will go far louder than you could use- I think like me most people use them flat with a little VLE or VFP dialed in, depending upon the cab. Terrific amps- I was always a tube guy but after lugging around too many monster amps I thought I would buy one of the new genearation of new amps. I thought my tone would suffer by this compromise but I was very surprised that if anything, my tone has got clearer and punchier.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1322668181' post='1454206']
I would agree with everyone on here- I have an LM2 and it will go far louder than you could use- I think like me most people use them flat with a little VLE or VFP dialed in, depending upon the cab.
[/quote]
+1 we must be twins as thats how i set mine up :)

If the LMII is not a future classic i'll eat my hat. I remember (about 150 gigs ago) when i first tried the LMII and how it completely blew me away. Still does. The only thing that could change would be the D.I. by putting a pre-EQ which they addresses with the LMIII

For tubiness has anyone mentioned getting a pedal of some description?