Why become a member? ×

Valve head that can suit loud doom to syncoped quick rock

analogrowl

Hello basschat.

I'm the bass player of a french doom rock band that is sometimes slow and loud and sometimes speedy basslines kinda rock ala shellac or trans am. I'm currently using a warwick thumb bolt-on 6string with barts pickups with DIY fuzz pedals and a svt3pro with a 4*10" HLF cab. I already have a quite an amazing sound. But i just need more before going on stage. We are currently composing tunes, making some recording and mixing and the sound is already more than correct. But being three and without any singers we just need more. So i think i'll get a bass rig and a guitar rig with a bi-amp system and for now i'll try to improve the bass side.

So i'm thinking about buying a valve head which is at least 200W. I'm currently hesitating between hiwatt 200 or 400, matamp gt200, sunn 300t, mesa bass 400, which one you would recommend ?
I need a f***ing huge low end with mids that can cut through (not that hard just being three). Another point to consider is taht i'm gonna use pure analog synth through that bas rig too. So i need something that can handle a synth input as good.

Speaking of the cab i might add a barefaced 2*15" + one 4*10" on the bass rig. Do you think i'm in the right gear or totally wrong ? i know the better would be for me to try all that gear but it's nearly impossible to find those brands in france.

Regards,
Olivier

[quote]Have you considered running the Ampeg into a power/slave amplifier? Just for the extra push?[/quote]

Hum not really, the ampeg head isn't mine. It's my guitarist's one (which is bass player in another band), so i'd like to buy a new head to have my own gear. However, it's an option to use the new valve head with the ampeg head.

Do you really want an all valve head? Have you ever picked one up. I used to have an SVT valve and then a Trace V6 loved the sound, but the weight I did not like. You are looking at 40-60kg, yes you can do a double compact or a 2x15 barefaced with them. To cut down the overall mass! But I soon tired of the weight of the things, not to mention the maintence issues. But if you have never had a big valve head before, YOU MUST GET ONE. You need to experience 'that tone' and the power.... Its the usual suspects SVT, Hiwatt, Matamp, Orange, Ashdown, all uniquely flavoured, different, you have to find which one you like no one can tell you. To me once I had heard that sound the fidelity and the richness of tone very difficult to emulate with anything else. I am not running any high power valve gear at the moment, but I have a few small valve amps around for rehearsals and recording! GO FOR IT ENJOY IT.

Dan

PS

Someone has said on here that the Genz Benz streamliner is a good compromise, as it has a valve front end preamp which runs at high voltage so you get all the valve goodness warmness and hamonics, combined with a specially modified class D output section that has high reserves of current to give that valve thump you only get from a valve power amp.

A Hiwatt 200 will knock out around 350 on full tilt - and yes they are solid heavy b*ggers! Only witnessed a Hiwatt 400 once & it took two of us to put it on top of a TE stack.
Get one while you're young if you're going to!

Don't get one of the MG ones, & expect to pay around £1200 for a good vintage one (A 200 that is) - If you look for a vintage 400 you may well still be looking when you're too old to lift it.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1320681479' post='1429882']
what does syncoped mean ?[/quote]

Sorry the correc translation was syncopated with offbeat. Dan, you are right no one can choose that answer i know that's a bit stupid to ask such recommandations i just need some directions. I never owned a valve head before. Do you guys have a place in UK (london would be the easier place) where it's possible to give a try at those amp ? I know that's weight is an issue but that's not a issue for me now. I'm sure it'll be later, but for now it's ok.

I would take any of the ones you have listed! Sunn 300T is great has iconic status, but finding one could be a bit of a pain, as would any attempt to find a Trace V-series, or even a Mesa 400+ nowadays. Not sure if you really 'need' an all valve head if you are going to use a pedal for overdrive rather than the amp itself. But if you want one then go for it. I wouldn't discount an Ampeg SVT Classic/VR if you can find one second hand either, or a hybrid type amp like an Aguilar/EBS/new Mesa stuff.

Personally though, I would get a custom Matamp if I had the money to burn.

Marshall VBA400 has some serious power, and can be picked up relatively cheaply second hand. I am doing rock/ metal, tuning down to low A, and it handles it all with ease. Also have an Ampeg SVT CL, which sounds great, but the Marshall gets a little dirtier, and is definately a lot louder/ more powerful.

The Marshall is a bit leighter in weight than the SVT

Good evening, Olivier...

We might be neighbours; I'm in France too (hence 33: France, 53: Mayenne...).
I use a Hiwatt PA amp (DR203...), which has all the sound one could wish for, and then some. 4 x KT88's are the secret (and, of course, the legendary Partridge trannies...). 6 I/P's, so several instruments can be plugged in at the same time. It doesn't have a 'bass' tone stack, simply bass and treble, but as I leave the amp 'flat', that's fine by me. Yes, it's heavy. I got mine from a seller in England, and had to carry it back on the ferry, in its' flight case, with my son. Yes, it's heavy..!
Mine cost £700, with the case, and is in pristine condition. No problems since acquisition. It goes into an Ampeg 4x10, or a Fender Bassman 2x15; sometimes both.
Be aware that the Hiwatt 200's (and more so, the 400...) are designed to drive 4 cabs, in fact one has to 'cheat' to be able to use a solo cab.
Highly recommended, for that ultimate all-round bass tone, and easier to find than the 200w bass model.
No, I'm (certainly...) not selling mine, but if you're close enough, you're more than welcome to hear it yourself.
Just my tuppence worth; hope this helps...

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the tips. Dad3353 i'm from Bordeaux so i fear it's a bit too far away to give it a try. Anyway many thanks for kindly offer. One problem about height it's a nightmare with flight companies. As example with EasyJet, if you go above 66lbs if you have to add 46£ each 6lbs. I do understand why you took it back by the ferry.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1320713760' post='1430543']
Get this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/151389-marshall-2001-400w-epic-doom-valve-beast/"]http://basschat.co.u...om-valve-beast/[/url]

Seriously.
[/quote]

Never heard about this model before, seems to be a beast ! Having a marshall head was in my plan too and that one is frightening. Tempting very tempting...Sometimes i wish i'd live in uk, such good gear there. Such good music from there.

[quote name='analogrowl' timestamp='1320745090' post='1430665'] Hey guys, be aware that 200/300W are ok too i don't necessarily need 400W. [/quote]

if you want something you can actually crank, i think theres a soundcity bass150 for sale in the for sale section