Why become a member? ×

Help with on-stage stuff needed...

Walker

The last couple of gigs I've played, space has been pretty tight and I've ended up standing next to my amp (8 x 5 PJB suitcase combo and cab). I'm wireless so I can get out front during sound checks and it's sounding great, but I can't hear a damned thing standing next to it apart from the odd parping sound.

Any ideas? Should I use a single in-ear or something like that?

Please, any advice welcome, this is driving me mad!

Cheers

Chris

Are the places you`re playing with house pa which the bass goes through. If yes, as crez5150 says, ask for some bass in the monitors. I played a similar style venue the other night, and couldn`t hear myself very well, but luckily I could "feel" what I was playing quite nicely.

If the venues aren`t places with house pa, then try angling your cab at the front, so it`s pointing more towards your ears. This does strangely enough, make a fair difference. I recorded last month, and we had to keep to a reasonable level. I couldn`t hear myself too well, so put the edges of my bass stand underneath the front of my cab - problem solved.

Thanks chaps, the help is appreciated.

They are only small pub / club gigs. It's our PA and I don't go into it, just the acoustic instruments (guitars, mandolin, banjo), keys and vox.

We have two monitors but I'm obviously not part of the mix in those!

Edited by Walker

I suggest this all the time but what about an amp stand like this? [url="http://www.soundsavers.com/shop/musical-instruments/guitar-accessories/products/chord-adjustable-guitar-amplifier-stand-.html?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping+Results&utm_medium=Product+Feed"]http://www.soundsavers.com/shop/musical-instruments/guitar-accessories/products/chord-adjustable-guitar-amplifier-stand-.html?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping+Results&utm_medium=Product+Feed[/url]
Obviously it depends on the size of your amp/cabinet but I swear by mine when using the little rig, never stuggle to hear myself.

+1 for angling cab/using stand. Easiest option and uses little (if any) more floor space. I use one of these:

[url="http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/MarkBass-Mark-Stand/"]http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/MarkBass-Mark-Stand/[/url]

Bit pricey new, but they turn up second hand on here and can be folded flat for easy transport!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1320582504' post='1428493']
+1 for angling cab/using stand. Easiest option and uses little (if any) more floor space. I use one of these:

[url="http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/MarkBass-Mark-Stand/"]http://www.giggear.c...ass-Mark-Stand/[/url]

Bit pricey new, but they turn up second hand on here and can be folded flat for easy transport!
[/quote]

Mm that looks good. I've been looking for a more portable stand/angler solution. Seems to tilt quite far back without any support at the back. Have you ever had any stability problems?

Tbh... you have to review whether these places are worth playing if space and sound is such a compromise.
Might not be the answer you were expecting, but we wont do this sort of thing anymore.
If the place is small then volume becomes the issue as too confined as space is very bad for everyones hearing...
and then enjoyment goes out of it etc etc etc..

We need, for example, a min of 5 sq mtrs. I refuse to have the cymbals going off in my ears or in my back.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1320582878' post='1428497']
Mm that looks good. I've been looking for a more portable stand/angler solution. Seems to tilt quite far back without any support at the back. Have you ever had any stability problems?
[/quote]
No, you just need to find the point of equilibrium so it doesn't tip over backwards. I place my amp on top of the cab at the front, to counterbalance it somewhat.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1320584876' post='1428537']
No, you just need to find the point of equilibrium so it doesn't tip over backwards. I place my amp on top of the cab at the front, to counterbalance it somewhat.
[/quote]

mmm, not sure I'd trust myself not to bump into it whilst on stage and knock it backwards. Glad it works for you.

Get it up to your ears.
As the others suggest,a stand ot a flightcase.
I`m using an Ashdown mini 4x8 in one bar that`s ridiculously tight, and I get it to sit nicely on a heavy duty keyboard X stand right at my chest/ears. (yes I have ears in my chest).
I can have the volume fairly low, but if I need a bit of detail I can just turn my head in towards it.
Your setup is pretty light and small, you shouldnt have a prob finding a stand.

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1320595502' post='1428734']
As others have said, get the amp raised up. It generally does not use any more floor space but works wonders for the ability to hear it!
[/quote]
...or try kneeling..?

(coat gotten, door slams...)

Just to throw my two'penneth, I'd try a stand before you buy one. Reading the manual for my PJB Briefcase and trying out a few 'home' tests, it appears that PJB gear needs to live on the floor (my Briefcase looses its bottom end when placed on a coffee table, Mrs JPJ lost her marbles when I placed the Briefcase on said coffee table :) ). I also know of a couple of local lads who stand their cabs on empty flightcases and then wonder why they have uncontrolable amounts of bass boom.

I find cheapo earplugs help me, as they cut out the high end content much more than the lows, so i can hear myself a little better than normal. I've managed to learn to play without being able to hear myself, its not advisable, nor is it fun, but if theres nothing else you can do, its always a little bit of a helping hand.

Liam