Why become a member? ×

Newcastle - Where to see good live music?

mrtcat

I've got a weekend off from gigging next week and am taking my good wife back to her home town for a romantic weekend. Clearly by Saturday evening I'll be all "romanced" out so am aiming to treat my good lady to a night in a pub watching a band. As I know nowt about where to go in The Toon can anyone suggest where I might find a good live music pub?

The Head of Steam is usually good for music. IIRC it's where Maximo Park started from. It's just opposite the train station so should be easy to find. Other than that, I'm afraid it's been too long since I lived in Newcastle, having migrated south quite some years ago to find some better weather...

With regards to the Head of Steam, they seem to have a bit of a variable output. There was a band that my brother saw there, Kappernicus (now defunct) which he quite enjoyed. They have a lot of dodgy indie bands on too. The Cluny seems even more indie focused. I never go to either place for anything other than work now though.

Which other pubs in Newcastle do live music? I remember someone saying The Ship (next to the Cluny) had an open mic jam night.

Just going off places I've played personally, there's also The Northumberland Arms, (opposite McDonalds, near the Monument), Trillions, (in amongst the shops, more of a rocking venue), The Dog and Parrot, (think it's on Scotswood Road)...

Sadly, The Broken Doll shut years ago, always a good night there...

Edited by weldermatt

[quote name='weldermatt' timestamp='1320001341' post='1421136']
Just going off places I've played personally, there's also The Northumberland Arms, (opposite McDonalds, near the Monument), Trillions, (in amongst the shops, more of a rocking venue), The Dog and Parrot, (think it's on Scotswood Road)...

Sadly, The Broken Doll shut years ago, always a good night there...

[size=2]My unpopular downbeat combo;[/size]
[size=2][url="http://www.myspace.com/drunkinhell"]http://www.myspace.com/drunkinhell[/url][/size]
[/quote]

Trillions is on Princess Square, just off Northumberland Street. Mostly a rock and metal venue, they get some fantastic professional bands in if you're into metal. The Northumberland Arms is on Prudhoe Chare, a side street off Northumberland Street next to M&S. That said, I've never known them to have live music on. The Dog and Parrot I believe is listed on Westmoreland Road, but really it's on the corner with Westmoreland Road and Scotswood Road. Again, I've never known that to be a live music venue but then thats not an end of town I go to unless I'm at work.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320001845' post='1421153']

Trillions is on Princess Square, just off Northumberland Street. Mostly a rock and metal venue, they get some fantastic professional bands in if you're into metal. The Northumberland Arms is on Prudhoe Chare, a side street off Northumberland Street next to M&S. That said, I've never known them to have live music on. The Dog and Parrot I believe is listed on Westmoreland Road, but really it's on the corner with Westmoreland Road and Scotswood Road. Again, I've never known that to be a live music venue but then thats not an end of town I go to unless I'm at work.
[/quote]
Northumberland Arms definately hosts live bands, I played there twice myself last year. (Once with US noisemongers Ramming Speed and Catheter, once with local drone gods Bong). Great little pub with a good vibe for live bands. I've also played the Dog and Parrot, but that was a good while ago now, maybe they've changed? (Used to put bands on upstairs).

I also forgot about La Toscana, the Italian Pizza restaurant. They sometimes have bands upstairs. It's out the back of St. James' Park. Played there last Xmas with Belgian miserable gits Mose...

Maybe the musical circles I inhabit are a little too intense for mainstreamers...

Edited by weldermatt

The Dog and Parrot is probably one of the busiest gay bars in the city. I had forgotten they had live music on, though when I think back to a past life I worked with an amateur stand up comic (as bad as it sounds) who did shows there so I suppose live music isn't a huge leap!

The Northumberland Arms must be alright though, I've never known there to be trouble there. Imagine gigging at the Blackett Arms or the Black Garter :)

As has been mentioned - it depends on what you're interested in.

I like The Cluny and The Tyne - there's the Jumpin' Hot Club as well, the Central Bar in Gateshead,.. include the suburbs and the coast there's just loads going on. No matter what you're after, there'll be something for you somewhere.

Oh, and welcome to The City of Kings. :)

Some really good suggestions here - there's a lot of choice if you know where to look. Just out of interest, is your other half from Newcastle or out towards the coast? The [url="http://www.magnesiabank.com/"]Magnesia Bank[/url] in North Shields is one of the best places in the North for seeing a band while having a few pints - usually rock / blues / soul stuff.

If you stick in town then the Ouseburn is my favourite crawl & is where many of the pubs mentioned here can be found. More info [url="http://www.pubsnewcastle.co.uk/CityEast.html"]here[/url] - my favourite place for a few drinks & a decent view over the river is the Free Trade, just up from the Tyne & virtually untouched since the '70s (no music though).

Enjoy!

B.

Chris - don't think the Dog & Parrot is a gay pub. Are you thinking of the place over the road that used to be called the Barking Dog?

Edited by benebass

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1320009274' post='1421313']
Chris - don't think the Dog & Parrot is a gay pub. Are you thinking of the place over the road that used to be called the Barking Dog?
[/quote]

I was always under the impression it was, specially given the location. But I see now I've got the names mixed up. The location I described is just 'The Dog', the D&P is across the road.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320009849' post='1421321']
The location I described is just 'The Dog', the D&P is across the road.
[/quote]

Don't think that place does any gigs, but the Dog & Parrot definitely does. Haven't been for a bit though...

To the OP - [url="http://www.thecrackmagazine.com/"]http://www.thecrackmagazine.com/[/url] is a pretty popular what's on up here.

Cheers,

B.

This is great stuff guys. I primarily prefer rock over indie but am really open to blues, soul, rnb (the proper stuff not the crap on the radio), funk etc. Staying in the Hilton so walking distance of town and access to metro. Any of you Newcastle dwellers got a gig. Would be nice to support a bcer.

Not sure if it's still open, might have closed down years ago, but check out the Jazz Cafe on Pink Lane. Its uip a cut that is opposite the Central Station, running to the bottom of Westgate Hill. The entry fee includes grub, and there is always live Jazz. It's a really great dive, very old, and full of atmosphere. It's run by a guy called Keith who once booked The Rolling Stones to play at the Club A Go Go (in the now defunct Handyside Arcade).

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1320010689' post='1421338']
This is great stuff guys. I primarily prefer rock over indie but am really open to blues, soul, rnb (the proper stuff not the crap on the radio), funk etc. Staying in the Hilton so walking distance of town and access to metro. Any of you Newcastle dwellers got a gig. Would be nice to support a bcer.
[/quote]

Hmm.. I'm at South Shields so that's no good.

This lot are on at O'Neillss, opposite the central station.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/maggierossblues"]http://www.myspace.com/maggierossblues[/url]

Never seen them, so I can't vouch for 'em..

If you're into funk then I've heard good things about [url="http://www.hoochiecoochie.co.uk/"]Hoochie Coochie[/url] just over the Tyne Bridge from the Hilton - not been myself, but they're putting on funk gigs & then have a soul club until the early hours. Trillians is definitely the place if you want to rock...

B.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1320011298' post='1421350']
Not sure if it's still open, might have closed down years ago, but check out the Jazz Cafe on Pink Lane. Its uip a cut that is opposite the Central Station, running to the bottom of Westgate Hill. The entry fee includes grub, and there is always live Jazz. It's a really great dive, very old, and full of atmosphere. It's run by a guy called Keith who once booked The Rolling Stones to play at the Club A Go Go (in the now defunct Handyside Arcade).
[/quote]

I didn't realise the Jazz club did food! I've walked past it so many times but never think of going there. It tends to be trad jazz though, your chances of seeing a great fusion band I would suspect are pretty slim!

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320086806' post='1422183']

I didn't realise the Jazz club did food! I've walked past it so many times but never think of going there. It tends to be trad jazz though, your chances of seeing a great fusion band I would suspect are pretty slim!
[/quote]

Your entrance fee includes some grub, stipulation of the licence. I used to go quite a lot years back cos the girl I was with at the time worked there. I've not got much of a knowledge of jazz, but there seemed to be a wide variety of sounds, and blues was represented. He used to get some big names in from that scene, and often sold out. Had a great NYE there once, my lass was serving at the bar, every time I got the beers in, I got more in change than the cash I gave her... Happy Days!

Cool, seems like we have some good options. Many thanks to all for the help. Warwick Hunt the link you sent was v helpful. WOT are you playing in South Shields? That's not a million miles to go is it? Really looking forward to getting back up north.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1320091796' post='1422282']
WOT are you playing in South Shields? That's not a million miles to go is it?
[/quote]
Only around twenty minutes on the Metro. Careful though, the last one back is fairly early, so you might end up having to get a Taxi.