Why become a member? ×

I am spoilt for choice for my next NBD

Grand Wazoo

An unexpected windfall has put me in a very comfy financial position.

It's time I start living a bit of a more relaxed life, first a trip to the US around xmas, then rent somewhere to live, while I knock down and rebuild my house the way I want it, and then I'll be spoilt for choice as to what bass / amp I could buy next!
I wouldn't just waste money on silly boutique stuff just because cash is available, I just wonder what might be the next best thing that sensible money can buy, say 3-4K for a bass and 2K for a nice rig.

Suggestions welcome.

Hey maybe I should get a Bongo.... ?? haha. just kidding

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1319738685' post='1418030']But seriously, buy a nice vintage pre-CBS Fender as prices have likely come down and enjoy playing it at home (you have enough gigging basses) and long-term price appreciation too[/quote][quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1319742224' post='1418107']Buy a Dingwall because that's what you're ultimately going to end up with, after all, you don't want to end up with is unusable in comparison.[/quote]

Clarky I'm hoping to find a good one on 38th street in NYC actually I did consider what you are suggesting, thanks for the pointer.

EBS_freak there is already a new Dingwall p bass in the works but it will be sometime before it will be fully tested and ready for production. Also EBS_freak I don't just own Dingwalls there's Fenders and PRS's in my fleet which I also consider irreplaceable lets not generalise ok?

3-4 K for a bass.. and you say non boutique....??.. thats not sensible money, thats top end scratch....well there are 4 names that spring to mind.... Suhr or early Pensa jazz basses, imo the best jazz basses in the world.... Sukop 4 and 5 strings.... STR are just EPIC basses, if you have played a Fodera, these are just as good but cheaper but lesser known... and the brilliant Xotic jazz basses... Amp wise Bergantino or Aguilar are worth a try....

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1319743269' post='1418131']
Clarky I'm hoping to find a good one on 38th street in NYC actually I did consider what you are suggesting, thanks for the pointer.

EBS_freak there is already a new Dingwall p bass in the works but it will be sometime before it will be fully tested and ready for production. Also EBS_freak I don't just own Dingwalls there's Fenders and PRS's in my fleet which I also consider irreplaceable lets not generalise ok?
[/quote]

You may want to head a bit further up to 48th Street...

I'm not generalising. Just being blunt - it's OK to own a lot of the same brand. I've got examples of the same bass but in different finishes - depending upon the gig.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1319746190' post='1418199']
Alleva Coppolo = an amazing jazz bass you can get for 2 grand cheaper by the name of Shur, Sadowsky, Nordstrand..... imo
[/quote]

Not sure about that - the Alleva preamp is a pretty nice preamp that is only found in... well... an Alleva. Suhr, Sadowsky, Nordstrand - all good but all significantly different in the preamp stakes.

A very nice budget indeed. I expected there to be a tree hugger telling you off for being vulgar already and that you should give money to poor people, your family and charities and stuff. There will probably be one along in a minute.

I'd say that ALL basses are good. Spend heaps of time moochin around and deciding - just because you can.

You couldn't go that far wrong with a USA Fender Precision or Jazz - for somewhere between £500 and £1500 and a TC Electronic RH750 and a couple of their cabs and then spend the rest of fast women and slow horses

here's my Alleva, you will not find a better Jazz IMHO (and that of Happy Jack, and apparently even Jimmy C considers this one of his finest, according to lozbass - who took this pic and has the other final hand-made bass from the NYC shop)

[attachment=92045:IMG_1414.JPG]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1319746689' post='1418210']

...you should give money to poor people, your family and charities and stuff [/quote]

I have already given a large sum to my son who is wheelchairbound due to cerebral palsy, and because of this I have donated to Scope (The Cerebral Palsy Charity) throughout his whole life, from the date he was diagnosed in 1994. Thankfully my son only disability is the fact that he can't walk however he is a normal 18 years old and now he has just started universtity and doing well.
My gf passed away on June 16th this year, I have no other family except for my gf's daughters which are now living with their natural father. I have cleared all my outstanding in the space of yesterday and this morning, except a small mortgage to pay and the utilities, what I have left from this windfall could be invested but with the current interest that banks and building societies are paying is not worth bothering. I have 2 private pension schemes and one from my employer, it's time I enjoy myself for once. You only live once and can't take it with you to the other side.