Why become a member? ×

CAN'T SEE MY FRET MARKERS

blunderthumbs

I have a bass collection SB 110 series bass which I Love playing very much.
The problem is when I'm on stage I can't see the fret marker dots along the top of the neck.
Has anyone got any suggestions how I can replace the dots on my bass.
I have front and side red Sims led's in my Fender Jazz but can't afford to
have them fitted to my B C.
There seem to be lots of stickers to fit on the front of the neck on the internet
but none of the small type dots are available unless anyone knows different. :)

[quote name='timo' timestamp='1319656868' post='1417015']
Have you seen the fretfx LEDs? Got no experience of them, only found out about them the other day on a market place post.

[url="https://fretfx.com/"]https://fretfx.com/[/url]
[/quote]

I've had two basses fitted with these and am about to order a set for my Precision.

Unless you're completely ham fisted they are really easy to fit and do the business.

For my black Bass Collection (and now other basses) I got some of these

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glow-dark-Vinyl-light-switch-stickers-x-9-/280462619707?pt=UK_Crafts_StickersScraps_Decoupage_SM&hash=item414cdff43b#ht_1362wt_991"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glow-dark-Vinyl-light-switch-stickers-x-9-/280462619707?pt=UK_Crafts_StickersScraps_Decoupage_SM&hash=item414cdff43b#ht_1362wt_991[/url]

and made dots using a hole punch. I have now put some clear nail varnish over them as they did tend to move a bit after a while but they work a treat - especially if you can be bothered to charge them up with a little torch or whatever.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1319729205' post='1417883']
[size=4]Leave your glasses on when you're playing?[/size]
[/quote]

on a pitch black stage with a black bass? :)

When a band I was playing with did the Scottish Beatles weekend in August, the lights failed at one point during the set so we played in complete darkness. The singer had to use his phone to see the lyrics but I could see perfectly thanks to the LEDs

i have a substance in work contained in a varnish that glows in the dark especially with a black /purple light bulb found in lots f bars clubs etc, i currently also have dr neons on my backup bass ( looks funky too ) and have "painted" both fret board dots and the ones along the top edge, works brill, and free, anyone local who wants some of this is welcome i have spare

The guitarist and I had a similar problem at our last gig. They had these red led light cans that made our markers invisible.
As to those who say you shouldn't need them. Well some of us do. Even if it's just a quick glance for reassurance. Especially if there's a bit of dancing around and whatnot going on onstage. I've got Rymans orange dot stickers cut in half on the bass I (of course) didn't bring.

Fretfx is very good. Roz is a very helpful fella, he made me some custom stuff for headless basses, Parker fly headstock etc..about 3 custom sets.... I gave him no end of design grief. LOL. He now has a different battery setup and I'd get a new one having seen his update on his website. FYI, mine were purchased when it was known as Hotdotz and that was some 8 years ago. They still work very well.

I'm really drawn towards the Fretfx. They are really cheap for what they do.
I think I'm going to look into fitting them to my Status Energy Matrix.
Re the Bass Collection I think I will try Andy on Bass idea and buy a Uni Marker.
The headstock is so narrow on the BC that I don't think the battery module on the Fretfx will fit. :)

Something that has worked for me in the past is strips of insulating tape. Not just a great visual reference, but you can use feel as a reference as well, should things go really dark! :)

The beauty of insulation tape is it is dirt cheap, and comes off really easy, without any damage to the finish of your bass. Just peel it off when you have finished playing.