Why become a member? ×

New amp for a Barefaced Vintage?

Mandril

Hi guys,

I have a Barefaced Vintage that I got during the Barefaced hype around here. I bought it because I had an old handmade copy of a 60s Fender Bassman, and it sounded like the perfect cab for this amp. The cab is amazing, I've been using it in a metal band with 3 guitarists and it has enough volume, but the amp breaks up way too early, so now I'm looking for a new amp with more headroom.

I play rock and metal and like the valve tone of the SVTs, Hiwatts and that stuff.

I'd really wish I had the money for a SVT, but it's twice my budget, so I'm thinking about a TC RH450, a Markbass LMIII, a GB Streamliner 600 (900 seems too much), or an Ampeg PF-500.

So what do you think? Any Vintage owners out there is using any of these amps?

You thought of the Sound City 120's? Im using one with a 2x15 fender bassman cab and have more than enough headroom and no breakup until i REALLY drive and dig in (i like a little valve breakup on the bottom notes). I was selling mine but came to my sences and am now keeping hold. Wooks on here was selling an immaculate one tho. Out of interest what wattage is the bassman copy?

I had a Vintage plus Orange AD200B. That would be loud enough for any realistic situation, I would think. Only thing is, the Orange weighed 50-ish pounds and hurt my back ... but then I am a creaking 40-something with a previous slipped disc. Looked the dogs doodahs (some of those amps you mentioned would look 'lost' on top of a Vintage) and would be very cool for someone younger and stronger in the back department. Orange AD200B heads keep popping up on BC for about £700-800 second hand so not exorbitant

I've used my Vintage with...:

Hartke LH500
Eden Nemesis NA650
Eden WT550
GK MB200
GK MB500

Sounds great with all of them, the LH500 was great (well, they all were in their own way!) and if you drive the preamp really hard you get a nice growl

As for amps looking lost on it... yes: :)

Well, I live in Spain so Sound City amps are non-existent around here, and used Oranges are rare and cost over 1000 euros, and shipping one from UK would be really expensive, so that's why I'm looking into other amps.

Ah, mine is 100W, and with the level at 3 it already overdrives.

I'm also considering the Ashdown JJ500, looks good and I've read it's a good combination for a P (which I play with)

I use an Ampeg PF500 through my two Barefaced cabs, and it sounds great. however, being solid-state, there isn`t too much gain available. It does the classic "just breaking up" warm fat sound really well, but anymore grit, a pedal would be needed.

If you like Ampeg sounds, the SVT 7PRO may be worth a look. £645 new, and over on Talkbass, JimmyM, who loves everything by Ampeg, really rates this amp, saying the tube pre-amp adds a lot to the sound.

For amps with more grit, Orange Terror, and TC Classic 450 are other smaller amps that I`ve had. Both very good, Terror incredibly gainy and loud, TC a lot more versatile, but no slouch in the volume dept, despite what recent threads on here may suggest.

From the list of amps you mention I would deffinately go with the RH450 ... It is the most tube-sounding SS amp out the IMO ... The Tubetone sounds great and you can vary the amount of tube-emulation from nothing to "i'll blow you speakers NOW" - regardles of the volume. The other SS amps you mention is way more "hi-fi" where the RH450 is much more vintage - even with the Tubetone off...

[quote name='Mandril' timestamp='1319457974' post='1414256']Well, I live in Spain so Sound City amps are non-existent around here, and used Oranges are rare and cost over 1000 euros, and shipping one from UK would be really expensive, so that's why I'm looking into other amps. Ah, mine is 100W, and with the level at 3 it already overdrives. I'm also considering the Ashdown JJ500, looks good and I've read it's a good combination for a P (which I play with)[/quote]

There are Sound Citys in Europe, I know cause I have people trying to sell them to me. I'll give you a heads up if I get another offer, or find the email (I was just looking, I have a lot of mails mentioning 'sound city)

Well, I have the VT Bass already, just haven't used it too much as it doesn't add anything special to my already overdriven valve amp.

So maybe I don't need an amp with valve emulation, though I've heard really good critics about the RH450 tubetone, and it'd be nice not to depend on a pedal.

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1319456648' post='1414226']
Terror Bass.. If you like valve.. You won't be disappointed.. It's like valve without the hernia.. I would probably change the valves to some less hot one. Markbass are great, the bridge between hifi and valve... a nice neutral sound
[/quote]

Only my humble opinion but for a nice vintagey 2x15 id stick to proper valve amps. Mine packs loads of valvey goodness from the SC head. To me the whole 'valve' thing is done by the power valves, i really dont think the hybrids (orange TB etc) are even close to real valve amps

Edited by Pow_22

A P bass you say - Orange Terror Bass. No question. I tried a friends Streamliner 600, which is great too, but the Orange has that extra something even if it isn't as flexible as the Streamliner. Worth the trouble to try and find one in my opinion.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Mandril' timestamp='1319539620' post='1415307']
Wow! Nice amp! But I guess shipping to Spain would be quite expensive, and also I'm not comfortable about shipping valve amps, last time I bought one over the mail came with the valves destroyed.

Like your band by the way! :)
[/quote]

You'd have no problem with Terror bass being delivered it only has two valves

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1319525227' post='1415076']

Only my humble opinion but for a nice vintagey 2x15 id stick to proper valve amps. Mine packs loads of valvey goodness from the SC head. To me the whole 'valve' thing is done by the power valves, i really dont think the hybrids (orange TB etc) are even close to real valve amps
[/quote]

You can't compare the AD200 to the terror bass as the price and weight have big factors in the selection of the two.. Gone are the days of lugging around heavy rig, unless I'm on a tour that I have road crew.. The full valve amps are better, I agree but my back loves me more for the hybrid.. also the terror is very well priced.. I don't get on with the TC's my other vote would be the genz after the terror or use markbass with a sansamp or simular

[quote name='Mandril' timestamp='1319539620' post='1415307']
Wow! Nice amp! But I guess shipping to Spain would be quite expensive, and also I'm not comfortable about shipping valve amps, last time I bought one over the mail came with the valves destroyed.

Like your band by the way! :)
[/quote]

I've just shipped an amp to France, bar the optimistic delivery time quote it arrived OK, trick is to whip out the valves and wrap them, tuck them back in the chassis. Alternatively, buy without valves and have it teched on delivery (which everyone should do really).

[quote name='Mandril' timestamp='1319563946' post='1415874']
Well, the tech said it was something of this particular preamp design, that most old fender bassmans had the same issue, no more volume from 3, so I believed him... :)
[/quote]

Doesn't sound very realistic. Can put different value pot in or anything to sort that sort of thing. Only the power stage is limiting on upper volume. You can tell when the power stage is maxing because your ears get a boner.