Why become a member? ×

Mystery basses from my memory!

GremlinAndy

Did anyone ever visit Music Ground in Doncater? Were you ever shown the secret mystery bass room upstairs there?
I was... it was about 20 or so years ago now, and that shop is long gone, so in my memory it was a secret Narnia type room...

I remember them showing me some basses the likes of which I have never seen since, and I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me track down the origin of these mytical basses.

I don't remember much about them but they had very heavily radiused boards. I mean they were like a quarter of a circle! I think they said they were aimed at double bass player who wanted something recognisable under their fingers when they needed to go electric.

They were, to the best of my recollection very erm, ergonomically shaped bodies... Very fluid and almost like they'd been designed based on a shape seen in a lava lamp. They seemed to me back then (back when Ibanez were still relative newbies) to be VERY high end and custom luthier-ish, although iirc there were quite a number of them on the wall.
I also remember the knobs on them were conical rather than the usual cylinders, ...and I think made from turned brass as *one-offs* rather than the usual stock item usually found on basses.

Anyone know if this really happened, or was it just a blue cheese induced dream?

I tried a search on here, and Google and also on Music Ground (Manchester, I think) website, but without knowing a name I dunno where to even start!

Help me put this memory to bed and help me track down this silly stuff.

Cheers guys. (I know *someone* here will know something!)

Andy

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1319404798' post='1413835']
I remember going in there enquiring about a bass they were advertising in Guitarist (or Bass Player) and being told it was sold, only to find out a day or so later that it was still for sale. Seems I didn't smell of enough money to those goons. Good f***ing riddance!
[/quote]

I was shown this super secret room, given a coffee and treated very hadsomely! Ironic cos, although they wouldn't know it, at the time I didn't have two pennies to scratch my arse with, but I obviously smelt right!!!

(I heard many bad things about Music Ground and I believe the recent history of the owner is, erm, shall we say "allegedly" very colourful)

Nowadays I have loads of pennies to scratch my arse with. They smell horrible.

Edited by GremlinAndy

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319404352' post='1413826']
Zeta Crossover?
[/quote]
Nope. Not if my memory serves me well. They weren't quite so hybrid looking. They were strange, but didn't look a halfway morph between a regular and an upright...

Edited by GremlinAndy

The Doncaster shop used to have several John Birch customs and one of their staff - James - was their JB expert. Not so sure about the neck radius thing but certainly the weird shaped bodies was right down his street.
I bought a JB pup off them for about a tenth of what it would be now.

Now the MG name is only known for constant rip-offs & lies.

I remember the nack radius thing very strongly actually. It was the first time I ever saw anything like that before, and they looked to me at the time like ther were fashioned by aliens on Jupiter or something. I was only used to Fenders. Rics and Gibbos, plus cheap Wal and Shergolds (who knew? Lol)

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1319408770' post='1413886']MB1. :) Sounds like youve stumbled into the rehearsals for The lion the witch and the wardrobe? ...given a coffee? in musicground? :)[/quote]

They told you it was coffee, but they'd actually sprayed coffee smell around the rim of the mug full of dyed water..

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1319408770' post='1413886']
MB1. :)
Sounds like youve stumbled into the rehearsals for The lion the witch and the wardrobe?
...given a coffee? in musicground? :)
[/quote]

Yeah but in fairness they *had* closed within 2 decades. That'll learn 'em for givin' all the profits away in the form of weak one-off coffees.

Anyone know about these imaginary basses? I'm close to assuming it was just a dream....

YES... YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! A thousand yesses! That's the very chappie! Now I see this page it reminded me about the seperate pickups... each string had it's own little pick up! Or two! I have been wondering about these for YEARS!
Thanks to everyone who contributed ...helpful, funny or otherwise! This forum rules! :)

Andy

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319455069' post='1414175']
If it was an Atlansia then it will be somewhere on [url="http://www.atlansia.jp/BASS.NEW.HTML"]this page[/url].

Mine has a perfectly flat fingerboard though... But then it does only have a single string!
[/quote]

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1319528540' post='1415108']
About 5 years ago I had 2 new students starting lessons. The two lessons were next to each other and both had Atlansia basses! What are the odds on that!
One came from music ground Leeds and one from music ground London. Very different, but interesting basses!
[/quote]
Did you play them? Remember if they were any good? Wouldn't mind tracking one down tbh!

They told you it was coffee, but they'd actually sprayed coffee smell around the rim of the mug full of dyed water..

MB1. :)
Rohyppnoll ?

Glad you found out it wasnt all just a cheese dream Gremlin Andy! :)
Now the quest to find one begins!

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1319644379' post='1416839']
Now the quest to find one begins!
[/quote]
[url=http://www.digimart.net/bass/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS01442558]Atlansia Pegasus[/url]

[url=http://www.digimart.net/bass/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS01423799]Atlansia Garland[/url]

[url=http://www.digimart.net/bass/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS01289246]Atlansia Concord[/url]

All in Japan I'm afraid, but available for sale.

bit of a high jack, but couple of years ago i saw a black hollow body bass in a shop and cant for the life of me remember what it was. As i said it was black hollow body, four string, quite a wide neck, small body and im not sure but i think it had warrior in its name. Dont know if that was the company or the model. Also it had gold hardware.

Anyone, please?

[quote name='LowdownRumble' timestamp='1319671404' post='1417222']
bit of a high jack, but couple of years ago i saw a black hollow body bass in a shop and cant for the life of me remember what it was. As i said it was black hollow body, four string, quite a wide neck, small body and im not sure but i think it had warrior in its name. Dont know if that was the company or the model. Also it had gold hardware.

Anyone, please?
[/quote]
can't help I'm afraid... but if you don't have any joy here it might be worth starting a thread with it in the title. The guys here are, as a community, so helpful and knowledgable!