Why become a member? ×

Identify this lump of cack - Never seen one of these before

far0n

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318422282' post='1401892']
Dont forget Craftsman. my first "real" guitar was a Craftsman Less Paul. All this also bring back memories, all those great shops in Denmark st and Shaftesbury Avenue.

The good old days.
[/quote]

If we're really scraping the barrel, my first one ( other than the Hofner which I swapped for an air rifle) was a Top Twenty. real class.

I took the logo off cos Top Twenty sounded naff !

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1318407573' post='1401606']
My first bass was a Satellite. £25 from the local second hand shop. I want to say it was a P bass but I have a sneaking suspicion it was a short scale ric-a-like. Can't remember.
[/quote]

My first guitar was a s/h Satellite, 3T sunburst. £25, back in 1978.

Generally satellite were just about level with Kay in terms of quality in the 70s - i.e. bottom of the pile. At some stage I acquired a Satellite Les Paul (should that be Less Paul) which I gave away: plywood semi-hollow body, single coil pickups in humbucker size shells and everything done as cheap as possible while keeping the outline vaguely recognisable.

By comparison I also owned a Columbus Les Paul (much earlier) and that was quite a decent instrument with Dimarzio pickups. Hondo and Westone instruments from the same period were better, as was Avon and Shaftesbury.

I do realise that in the modern world there are considerations on air pollution to be considered but surely the human rights of individuals on noise pollution have to be respected as well as people with almost all their sight left not to be offended by the optical pollution that these lumps of henious creation being unleashed on the public.
These abhoritions should be held in the musical equivelent of a war crimes museum.
In reality some of the copies of this era were on par with some of the american creations that were around and in some cases were of a quality they could only dream of.
These cack copies are still cack and haven,t realised any mojo over the years.
I,m off to lie down in a darkened room with some light sedation after the shock of all this.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to resurrect this thread to say that my first bass was the short scale Satellite as well, probably from late '80 (The first thing I learnt to play was Enola Gay).
And our guitarist had a Kay Black Les Paul, which he later [i]upgraded [/i]to a Hondo II Strat.

Haven't managed to find a picture of the bass but it was effectively the bass version of this (minus the whammy arm).
Above all I remember the slidey pickup selectors which
a) got turned off
B) bloody hurt
when hit during periods of inexpert and over enthusiastic pick action.

Edited by Leon Transaxle

Not all were firewood - although my memory is that they were - see my thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166437-satellite-back-in-orbit/

At least the bass in the OP is reasonably solid wood - my first bass (Kalamazoo KB) may have been US made but had an MDF body made by a toilet-seat manufacturer, and my second (Columbus Jazz copy) was of a particularly nasty grade of plywood....

My first bass was a Satellite, bought it new in 76 for £30, two tone sunburst, sounded sh*te but I didn't know at the time but I learned to play on it. 77 I bough a new fender jazz for 10 times the price and couldn't believe the difference in quality and sound

My first bass was a Vox Clubman only a single pickup though and that had been changed to a Burns Trisonic pickup. Trouble was that the Burns was deeper than the Vox pickup and it passed right through the body so the previous owner had glued a bowl of wood on the back to cover up the hole. [url="http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/vox/bass/Clubman.php"]http://www.vintagegu...ass/Clubman.php [/url]
The bass, a Linear 30 and a 2 x 12 home made cab with only one speaker working cost me £5 in 1964.

Edited by bertbass

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1318424948' post='1401959']

If we're really scraping the barrel, my first one ( other than the Hofner which I swapped for an air rifle) was a Top Twenty. real class.

I took the logo off cos Top Twenty sounded naff !
[/quote]

My first bass was a Top Twenty, short scale, P shape, tele head, rubbish pickup that I replaced with an Ibanez, awful piece of junk.