Why become a member? ×

Mmmmmm...... Fender Limited Edition La Cabronita “Porrazo” Precision Bass®

TRBboy

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1317046724' post='1385894']
Apparently it's because of the name on the headstock.
That little decal automatically transforms any piece of sh*t into the greatest basses/guitars in the cosmos.
The Fender marketing people must just spend all day pissing themselves laughing at the stuff they can get people to buy.
[/quote]
I was going to say there's one born every minute but I like the way you phrased it better :)

Don't get me wrong, I love Fenders, but seriously, how do Fender justify their prices? How can that be worth nearly three grand? I'm lost for words... Can someone clarify this for me please? A precision bass is generally two body shapes (contoured / slab). A jazz bass is one body shape. Their bodies are mass produced, no? Or do they hand carve the custom shop jobbies? How much work actually goes into these custom shop basses? I have visions of a bunch of yanks bolting together off the shelf parts, handing them to the relicing guys and then patting each other on the back and saying to each other "that's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship there, man."
Makes me angry. When you consider what you can get from [b]British[/b] luthiers for half the price.... There's no way that is worth £2799..no effing way...

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1316945698' post='1384552']
Hey Merello,
Pray tell - how have you posted that picture? It's almost 3D to me, the head even sticks out over the 2 borders of the forum page.
I don't know if it looks the same to everyone?

Cheerz, John[/quote]

I can see it too!

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1317118501' post='1386850']
Don't get me wrong, I love Fenders, but seriously, how do Fender justify their prices? How can that be worth nearly three grand? I'm lost for words... Can someone clarify this for me please? A precision bass is generally two body shapes (contoured / slab). A jazz bass is one body shape. Their bodies are mass produced, no? Or do they hand carve the custom shop jobbies? How much work actually goes into these custom shop basses? I have visions of a bunch of yanks bolting together off the shelf parts, handing them to the relicing guys and then patting each other on the back and saying to each other "that's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship there, man."
Makes me angry. When you consider what you can get from [b]British[/b] luthiers for half the price.... There's no way that is worth £2799..no effing way...
[/quote]
Ha ha.=+1. I had to double take on the price.Its worth £279.99! How? How?

Could one of you great bass gods explain to a lowly member why, on this bass, and the "Pino Paladino signature precision", "Jaco Pastorious tribute" and "Reggie Hamilton signature" that Fender have chosen to select premium wood, upgraded electronics and pickups yet chosen to leave the bridge standard. Isnt this the one component that everyone changes. I cant believe that Pino's "exacting standards" never stretched to an upgraded bridge. Ok now beat me up! :)

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1317671644' post='1393185']
Could one of you great bass gods explain to a lowly member why, on this bass, and the "Pino Paladino signature precision", "Jaco Pastorious tribute" and "Reggie Hamilton signature" that Fender have chosen to select premium wood, upgraded electronics and pickups yet chosen to leave the bridge standard. Isnt this the one component that everyone changes. I cant believe that Pino's "exacting standards" never stretched to an upgraded bridge. Ok now beat me up! :)
[/quote]
Because if they stuck a BadAssII (other direct-replacement bridges are available :) ) on it, it'd be just a bit too much like a Marcus Miller or a Steve Harris Sig, and that would never do...

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1317671644' post='1393185']Could one of you great bass gods explain to a lowly member why, on this bass, and the "Pino Paladino signature precision", "Jaco Pastorious tribute" and "Reggie Hamilton signature" that Fender have chosen to select premium wood, upgraded electronics and pickups yet chosen to leave the bridge standard. Isnt this the one component that everyone changes. I cant believe that Pino's "exacting standards" never stretched to an upgraded bridge. Ok now beat me up! :)[/quote]

I expect a Badass would take it over the £3k mark, and they want to keep it at a sensible price point :)

I've tried quite a few different upgrade bridges and never noticed that much difference, especially for the price some of them are. In fact, one of the bridges I found most satisfying was a Wilkinson BBOT with brass saddles which cost £15!

Whilst I can see what the advantages of fancy upgrade bridges should be, IMHO the benefits are not usually that noticeable, and these bridges are hugely overrated.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1317673422' post='1393243']
I expect a Badass would take it over the £3k mark, and they want to keep it at a sensible price point :)

I've tried quite a few different upgrade bridges and never noticed that much difference, especially for the price some of them are. In fact, one of the bridges I found most satisfying was a Wilkinson BBOT with brass saddles which cost £15!

Whilst I can see what the advantages of fancy upgrade bridges should be, IMHO the benefits are not usually that noticeable, and these bridges are hugely overrated.
[/quote]

I think the Hipshot bridges are worth it, severely adjustable, very comfy to palm mute off of, and with the quick loading option, which I utterly love.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1317683137' post='1393394']

I think the Hipshot bridges are worth it, severely adjustable, very comfy to palm mute off of, and with the quick loading option, which I utterly love.[/quote]

Interesting, I've never tried a hipshot! What sort of price are they?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1317684658' post='1393409']
Interesting, I've never tried a hipshot! What sort of price are they?
[/quote]
I honestly can't remember, I've only ever bought the one, rest came stock on basses. I remember it being expensive, but not as much as a Badass II was at the time, around the 95 - 100 euros mark.

I know it changes depending on weather you want a brass one or aluminum, and I picked brass.

• 8 months later...

Just had a play on one of these in GAK, Brighton today. To put it quite simply... call off the search. Abso-bloody-lutely lovely. I've never played anything like it before. Great neck, quite narrow at the nut, but a deep U shape that feels great in the hand. Lovely balance, great shaped body, arm-cut and belly cut just right. Nice and light too, we put in on the scales in the store and it weighed in less than 9lbs..8.5lbs maybe The Pup sounded ace, very very sweet.

The finish is superb, matt black, lightly relic'd. I'm not normally enamoured with relicing, but this one is just right. The neck finish is light, fast and easy going.

I don't agree that this is a parts-bin bass, it seemed very well thought out and constructed, and I'd hardly call a TV Jones Thunderblade 'parts-bin'. She is by no means cheap, but it depends what you want out of life, yes, it is a lot of cash. But, if I was to add up all the money I had spent on bad decisions, then it would be greater than the spending on this good decision.

To put it very simply, I thought this the essence of what a bass guitar should be. Very simple, feels great, looks great and sounds great.

Very tempted.. Hmmm..

Thanks to Kris at GAK for being a chap, and not the usual ball-ache 'well, sir, this is a very expensive bass, are you going to..blah blah
blah..'

An afternoon well spent

Hey Merello,
Pray tell - how have you posted that picture? It's almost 3D to me, the head even sticks out over the 2 borders of the forum page.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]
No idea - just used the wee image icon above and posted the Fender link - see what you mean though!

Hey Merello,

Cheerz, John
[/quote]
Just noticed if you widen and narrow the window the actual image stays the same size - weird artefact!

• 1 month later...

Hello- Found this Forum/Thread while sufing; Registered from across the pond to chime in.
I played this bass a few hours ago, and love it. Of course it's overpriced, but now that it's a discontinued model, I have an very good price put forward on the table from a CS Dealer. I may take the leap.
I have an also-discontinued Gretsch SpectraSonic Bass with TV Jones Thundertron pups; the're awesome.

This (FCS Borracho) is certainly a take-it-or-leave it thing; like a Rolex watch, the FCS is Grail to some, over-priced/over-hyped stuff to others.
I totally dig this bass, and agree with Billapple above who tried it recently. Great feel; great tone, even unplugged. Played it through a vintage B15 as well, and WOW.
For me, all it needed was the bridge lowered, and maybe a lighter-gauge string set., otherwise...
For my Old/New School R&B, it would make Joss Stone and Shemekia stop and take notice, and make Etta (RIP) smile in the heavens.

KILLER Instrument, I've paid as much for Sadowsky's Laklands, there's 'Wicks even more, on and on.

You either get/want this bass...
Or not.

I get it, I want it.

BTW; both times I've visited England and a little of Wales, Ireland too-
Absolutely wonderful. London is the most exciting/awesome City I can Imagine, liked it much better than Paris, Rome, etc.
Southern England-So beautiful. Ireland- Dublin 2nd only to London.

The people were the BEST, can't wait to get back there again (from Sunny SoCalifornia, my home). Maybe this time I can check out some bass gear-
only saw some instruments at Harrod's while my girl shopped- meh- I mean some REAL Bass shops, instead of all that amazing history and castles and such!! (-:

Cheers- (Oh, beer and ale GREAT, food- Well... if any of you get to El-Lay. drop me a line; I'll show you how Good Food is done)! (Taco Trucks!)

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342477182' post='1736002']
Hello- Found this Forum/Thread while sufing; Registered from across the pond to chime in.
I played this bass a few hours ago, and love it. Of course it's overpriced, but now that it's a discontinued model, I have an very good price put forward on the table from a CS Dealer. I may take the leap.
I have an also-discontinued Gretsch SpectraSonic Bass with TV Jones Thundertron pups; the're awesome.

This (FCS Borracho) is certainly a take-it-or-leave it thing; like a Rolex watch, the FCS is Grail to some, over-priced/over-hyped stuff to others.
I totally dig this bass, and agree with Billapple above who tried it recently. Great feel; great tone, even unplugged. Played it through a vintage B15 as well, and WOW.
For me, all it needed was the bridge lowered, and maybe a lighter-gauge string set., otherwise...
For my Old/New School R&B, it would make Joss Stone and Shemekia stop and take notice, and make Etta (RIP) smile in the heavens.

KILLER Instrument, I've paid as much for Sadowsky's Laklands, there's 'Wicks even more, on and on.

You either get/want this bass...
Or not.

I get it, I want it.

BTW; both times I've visited England and a little of Wales, Ireland too-
Absolutely wonderful. London is the most exciting/awesome City I can Imagine, liked it much better than Paris, Rome, etc.
Southern England-So beautiful. Ireland- Dublin 2nd only to London.

The people were the BEST, can't wait to get back there again (from Sunny SoCalifornia, my home). Maybe this time I can check out some bass gear-
only saw some instruments at Harrod's while my girl shopped- meh- I mean some REAL Bass shops, instead of all that amazing history and castles and such!! (-:

Cheers- (Oh, beer and ale GREAT, food- Well... if any of you get to El-Lay. drop me a line; I'll show you how Good Food is done)! (Taco Trucks!)
[/quote]

Thanks for the post Eljay, and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the reply Billy.
I've got some good money coming in a month or two, it will be hard to get me [i][u]not[/u][/i] to buy that Bass after playing it.
So sweet.

Have you seen the Reverse Jag body 2012 Model?
Not so sure about the upper-register access, and it's $1500 US more!

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342813157' post='1741503']
Thanks for the reply Billy.
I've got some good money coming in a month or two, it will be hard to get me [i][u]not[/u][/i] to buy that Bass after playing it.
So sweet.

Have you seen the Reverse Jag body 2012 Model?
Not so sure about the upper-register access, and it's $1500 US more!
[/quote]

After much deliberation, I've decided to build my own (-ish!)...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/182246-la-cabronita-porazzo-custom-precision-build/

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1342913447' post='1742799']
After much deliberation, I've decided to build my own (-ish!)...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/182246-la-cabronita-porazzo-custom-precision-build/"]http://basschat.co.u...recision-build/[/url]
[/quote]

If I had the necessary skills, I'd be in consideration too, but I don't!

Also, whether one may like it or not, The 'Fender Custom Shop" marquee is a value at that; it just...is :lol:

Got a good quote on the 2012 Reverse Jag Borracho too- Don't think that the Dealers don't know they better reduce price if they don't want to sit on 'em!

Even with only 30 for the Planet, not that many are willing.

I, however, have been told I have an "arrested development" with regard to GAS (do you all know what that is?) as well as a nice chunk of money coming shortly, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to be owning one or the other...
Stay tuned! :lol: