Why become a member? ×

NCD: I am a happy chappy... Barefaced content

aldude

It is the RH450. I have not yet had a chance to try it with the S12T+Compact, and I won't for another 2 weeks :) but I have used it plenty with the S12T on its own, including for gigs. It sounds good, plenty of volume (far too much in fact!), the EQ is pretty powerful and you can dial in pretty much any sound you like. It's clear and cuts through very well, it's voiced a little low for my taste but I add quite a lot of mids and get the sound I want easily enough. I like it :) just wish it was a bit more trebly.

TC say their heads (RH450, RH750 and I assume the Staccato '51) can run with three of their own 8 ohm cabs. If their cabs are truly 8 ohm, there is no reason why the head cannot be run with three of another manufacturer's 8 ohm cabs, or an 8 and a 4. So, theoretically, the RH450 is good for 2.67 ohm. That's good enough for me :)

TC insisting that it must be their own cabs is either marketing spin, or an implicit admission that their cabs aren't actually 8 ohm - I have heard that they are about 10 ohm but then I have also heard they are actually 8 ohm so it depends on who you listen to! I guess only time will tell, and I promise to post pics if my RH450 becomes a blackened hulk :)

Edited by aldude

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1316599047' post='1380072']
....I promise to post pics if my RH450 becomes a blackened hulk....
[/quote]
The amp should just go into protection mode, which should only require switching off to reduce heat and reset the amp. The RH750 manual actually says you can't hurt that amp by running under 4 ohm, so I would expect the RH450 to be the same. Maybe an external fan blowing through the vents would be enough to reduce the temperature enough to keep amp running.

Anyway I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1316603031' post='1380158']
Wow - looks fantastic mate. I'm expecting my super12T soon.

Just wondering - did you feel that the super12 lacked lows or were you just after a complete killer rig?
[/quote]

I did feel the S12T lacked lows, I was running it with a Trace Elliot amp. I could always EQ in enough but I don't like to "force" these things. I don't feel that the S12T lacks lows at all with the RH450, I suspect because it is naturally more pronounced in the low mids. So the Compact is mainly there for the extra output when needed. Which admittedly isn't that often :)

That's an interesting document, and if I understand it correctly, the TC amp looks like a lower power amp due to its limiting of high peaks to create a more tubey sound, so this implies that the high peaks that we don't really hear anyway contribute quite a lot to the measured power output of an amp.

Or, to put it another way, the 236W measured by that bass magazine (can't remember which right now) is mainly a fault of the testing method, which includes the loud peaks that you don't really hear anyway, the loud peaks being reproduced unnecessarily by the "other" solid state heads, but this is beneficial to the other heads as it ups the apparent wattage without really sounding much louder.

I appreciate this has been scrutinised by TC's PR department but it certainly does help in understanding what the amp is up to!

Unfortunately this does not address the ohmage capability of the amp and whether it would cope with 2.67 or even 2 ohms.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1316610711' post='1380335']
Re: the minimum ohms, see this new document produced by TC.

Apparently there is more information coming on the whole 'wattage' specs.

[url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/tc-electronic-power-rating-and-active-power-management.pdf"]http://www.tcelectro...-management.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

Can't see anything to do with Ohms there though. Very interesting read, makes perfect sense an all but... No Ohmage in there as far as I can see.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]So according to the power rating table, TC has admitted to a potential 2.66 ohm minimum load for the power section of their amps. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]But if they haven't changed their 4 ohm minimum ratings then either marketing is still getting in the way, or something else in the amp might be a bottle neck, heat dissipation, maybe?[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]ps I assumed that the R in 2.66R meant recurring.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by chris_b