Why become a member? ×

Labella flats... tell me about them...

dlloyd

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1319728743' post='1417877']
My favourites remain GHS Precision Flatwounds in 55,70,90,105, personally I find they feel better in every way to the LaBellas.[/quote]

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1319739802' post='1418050']
Deep Purle :) at the tuner, bare naked at the bridge :)[/quote]

John, do you know what colour the silks are on the 45-65-85-105 set?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1319827107' post='1419149']

John, do you know what colour the silks are on the 45-65-85-105 set?
[/quote]
HI Dave,
I'll have a look at my old packets, not sure if I've had a 45 set or not.
Cheerz, John

I put some LaBellas on my P recently, given them a go for a couple of months but might have to put the TIs back on, they feel and sound much better to me. I also like the Pyramids and have an old set I haven't tried tried on this bass yet so might stick them on tomorrow!

Ernie ball group 3's

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1319823768' post='1419091']
An earlier post seemd to reckon that those are actually D'Addarios in a different bag.[/quote]

They don't look the same, feel, or sound the same well mine didn't...this needs verifying by someone in the know

Edited by iconic

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1319829523' post='1419180']
Thank you.
[/quote]
Dave,
It doesn't look like I've had a 45-105 set of GHS so sorry can't help there.

I've GHS Brite Flats 49-108 M3075 which have dark blue silks & GHS Black Nylon Tape Wound 50-105, 3060 have bright red.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1319876992' post='1419508']
Anyone care to share how LaBellas compare to D'Addario Chromes?
[/quote]
I haven't used Chromes for quite a while but IIRC brighter sounding and not as smooth under the fingers, similar tension. The La Bellas are more thumpy, more old school sounding.

Well ordered them Thurs, arrived in post yesterday - very good turnaround, well done Stringbusters - on my `77 Precision today.

First impressions - well not used them in a band setting yet, but to me they sound like old roundwounds. Which I`m glad about, as that`s the sound I`m looking for. Problem I`ve had with rounds, is once they get old, and I have the sound I want, they`re not too far from dead, and I want to retain that nice thump for a while.

Hopefully these will give me the sound I`m looking for, and I`ll never have to change `em again :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1319894518' post='1419820']
Well ordered them Thurs, arrived in post yesterday - very good turnaround, well done Stringbusters - on my `77 Precision today.

First impressions - well not used them in a band setting yet, but to me they sound like old roundwounds. Which I`m glad about, as that`s the sound I`m looking for. Problem I`ve had with rounds, is once they get old, and I have the sound I want, they`re not too far from dead, and I want to retain that nice thump for a while.

Hopefully these will give me the sound I`m looking for, and I`ll never have to change `em again :)
[/quote]
Flats have a tendency to sound better as they get older ... then you'll never have to change them again.

Used them "in anger" last night.

First impressions are that with the band I was with last night - which has two bassists, me being the "thud" as opposed to the "twang" - they fit in very well.

Very easy to play, and although there seems to be a lot of fret-noise when the bass is on it`s own, this doesn`t come through in the mix, and I get a nice thud, which is great as my role in this band is really emphasising the bass-drum patterns.

After years of playing Roto Rounds though, these flats feel "wrong" but I`ve got to give them time, and not make any snap decisions. I`m juust going to have to wait until next week to try them in my other band, which is a more traditional punk covers band. I think that will be the deal maker or breaker.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1320218166' post='1423782']
Used them "in anger" last night.

First impressions are that with the band I was with last night - which has two bassists, me being the "thud" as opposed to the "twang" - they fit in very well.

Very easy to play, and although there seems to be a lot of fret-noise when the bass is on it`s own, this doesn`t come through in the mix, and I get a nice thud, which is great as my role in this band is really emphasising the bass-drum patterns.

After years of playing Roto Rounds though, these flats feel "wrong" but I`ve got to give them time, and not make any snap decisions. I`m juust going to have to wait until next week to try them in my other band, which is a more traditional punk covers band. I think that will be the deal maker or breaker.
[/quote]
They're going to change beyond recognition over the coming weeks - try not to get too attached to / disappointed with how they sound and feel at the moment.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1320219464' post='1423796']I don't get any fret noise with mine at all, might be worth checking your setup.

My deep talkin flats feel so nice under the fingers, so smooth.[/quote]

i think it`s probably a combination of the newness, having to wait for them to die down a bit, and the fact that I do hit the strings quite hard. It`s not fret buzz, it`s a clank as I hit the string with my fretting fingers. This probably happens every time with new rounds, but because I`m so used to it, I`ve only noticed it now with the flats.

I think as wateroftyne said, I need to wait a few weeks, for the initial sound to change, before reaching any conclusions.

OK, next, and last update. The flats are off. I played my Precision that has Roto Rounds on it yesterday, and it was just sooooo much better, imv.

So, the flats are up for grabs, as per my sig, and an ad in the other stuff for sale section.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1319588777' post='1416217']
Hey Lozz. After many years playing only with rounds (Rotosounds and LaBellas) my greatest discovery in recent years were the Status Half-Wound strings. I've been using them on P-Basses for a while now. They feel just like flats at the tip of your fingers and, sonically, somewhere in the middle, between rounds and flats. But it's a nice in the middle, not some over the fence, half baked in the middle, if you know what I mean. With the tone control slightly attenuated and playing a bit closer to the neck you can make them sound just like flats. I cut a little piece of acoustic foam so it fits perfectly under the strings, close to the bridge, and now that elusive Jamerson sound is right there. At the same time, with the tone control full on and with a plectrum, you still get that lovely P-Bass bite, but (in my opinion) in a much nicer way. You don't loose definition and attack, you just loose harshness. I highly recommend for you guys to give them a try. You can buy them directly from Status, they're no expensive and they always deliver mine the next day. They only make them in more regular gauges though (40-100 and 45-105). Still worth a try. They do feel stiffer than rounds, so maybe with heavier gauges it would be a bit too much for most? Ah... And I feel it's way easier to play with them than with rounds.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more! I recently bought a Vintage bass from fellow Basschatter Zigmondo which cam strung with Hotwires. I swapped the neck out for a fretless Warmoth and this bass oozes tone! I have used rounds for years but have gotten used to flats again after buying a Jazz from Ishibashi which came with them on it but those Hotwires are the biz!

I've given Lozz's La Bellas a new home - not had a chance to play them much yet but my immediate impression is that they feel super lush. I've been using Rotosound flats for the last few months and I already prefer the sound and feel of the La Bellas. Looking forward to seeing how they change too.

Got pracco tomorrow night so I'll report back as to how they got on...