Why become a member? ×

New Basschat Features

ped

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316595016' post='1380003']
But reading the notifications in my in-box isn't ideal either as 1 thing that bugs me about the new notification system is that when my Gmail groups the "conversations" per member, it puts that members replies out of sync with other people in the thread conversation who may have only left one reply.

Speed is good. Well done lads.
[/quote]

I hate Gmail. Although i use a gmail account i never use the web based version. I hate the way its grouped together. Although a lot of people hate it i always use Outlook, it just seems easier to navigate through messages.

Here's another strange thing. When i get notifications if anyone has typed a price in to a message all i get is a bunch of figures.
Someone has typed £30 in one of the threads but in the notification it reads as code rather than as it displays here. Anyone else notice this?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1316594609' post='1379994']
I tend to log in when a participated thread has been replied to, now i have to log in to find out if a thread has had a new reply.
Thats not ideal and i cant think of any other web forum that i use that works like that.
[/quote]
+1

I don't want to have to live with a browser tab open on BC (or keep visiting periodically) just to see if there have been replies to topics I'm following.

But it seems that not everyone's having the same sort of problems. Are notification emails working as they used to (i.e. one notification per topic per visit) for some people and not for others? Or are some people just not bothered?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1316595545' post='1380015']
..Here's another strange thing. When i get notifications if anyone has typed a price in to a message all i get is a bunch of figures.
Someone has typed £30 in one of the threads but in the notification it reads as code rather than as it displays here. Anyone else notice this?
[/quote]
Yep I'm getting that too. I used to get a single strange character (perhaps a Yen) but now I get a string of characters which make it look like the price is huge sometimes. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' timestamp='1316596192' post='1380028']
+1

I don't want to have to live with a browser tab open on BC (or keep visiting periodically) just to see if there have been replies to topics I'm following.

But it seems that not everyone's having the same sort of problems. Are notification emails working as they used to (i.e. one notification per topic per visit) for some people and not for others? Or are some people just not bothered?
[/quote]
What I used to get (if I left it long enough) was an email a day from each section of the forum with all the posts made in it and in the order that they were made. So I might have 3-5 emails a day with 20-60 replies in each.

Now what I'm getting is an individual email notification per member's post regardless of sub-fora. And if someone replies more than once Gmail groups that reply with the previous reply from that person - bumping it down, putting that reply out of sync with the conversation. So now I am getting 100's of emails a day all jumbled up.

Presumably this is just down to how the forum labels it's notifications. If the emphasis was on sub-fora rather than the poster's name wouldn't my email organise it like before?

As it stands, unless this issue is addressed, it looks like in order to use the forum the way I used to I will have to change my preferred browser and also my method of email access. Hmmm that's not ideal.

Another bug I've found : I have to click the edit button twice before the edit box opens up. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316601082' post='1380096']
What I used to get (if I left it long enough) was an email a day from each section of the forum with all the posts made in it and in the order that they were made. So I might have 3-5 emails a day with 20-60 replies in each.

Now what I'm getting is an individual email notification per member's post regardless of sub-fora. And if someone replies more than once Gmail groups that reply with the previous reply from that person - bumping it down, putting that reply out of sync with the conversation. So now I am getting 100's of emails a day all jumbled up.
[/quote]

There is the option to have a daily report, maybe give that a go and turn off the individual emails.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316590200' post='1379929']

Speed is now up to the speed of the previous site, but we were doing some work on the attachment system and as a result there was a bit of slow time as it was being fixed.

RE notifications. I tend to keep track of my threads using the new and improved 'new content' area, where I can select 'threads I started' or 'Threads I participated in' and go to first unread post as normal. Notifications I have for email and if I'm quoted, and sometimes I'll turn them on if I post something which isn;t likely to have 19 pages of replies, like a random thread asking for help notating a track.

Once you tailor it to your needs it's really useful. Can I suggest turning them off altogether and looking at 'new content' area instead for now, as that's a good place to start.

Cheers
[/quote]

Speed appears to be up to a reasonable level now so forget I ever mentioned that :), but the notifications really suck. :)

The options seem to be:
1) turn everything off and then trawl through every page to see if someone has replied or added to a topic.
2) multiple e-mails detailing every last click that a user has made - you replying to my post has generated 8 emails at my end.

It doesn't matter which option you choose, both stifle communication - the very thing that has seen BassChat grow into the community it has.

A good forum should be about communication not inundation and I'd love to find out what motivated Invision's decision to discard that fundemental tenet.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316611963' post='1380358']
To see if someone has posted on a thread you have participated in, use the filters in the new content box. Now you can see everything far more easily than before.
[/quote]

There's a huge bug there. If I go to that page and select 'just items I follow' I get 277 pages of results. 277x25 topics per page = 6925 topics. I can be positive I have not followed 6925 topics.

That functionality ('New content' -> 'just items I follow' ) is even more broken than the 'Content I follow' and 'My Content' problems I've already logged.

Sorry ... I know you guys run this thing because you want to, I don't pay for the service, so you don't owe me anything ... so I'm not complaining. Fact is though, when I go to talkbass, I get to talk about basses, when I come here, all I seem to do is figure out how to fight the website to get what I want. If it stays that way, I'm just going to be spending more time elsewhere, rather than getting frustrated here. And I'd rather be coming here, to a local bass community.

I use this forum software myself and have just done the same update. You will find that the notification settings in your profile will have changed and you're probably not receiving your original notifications - just go into your profile settings and update them accordingly. There are a lot more settings than there were previously.

[quote name='GT40Graham' timestamp='1316618959' post='1380469']
I use this forum software myself and have just done the same update. You will find that the notification settings in your profile will have changed and you're probably not receiving your original notifications - just go into your profile settings and update them accordingly. There are a lot more settings than there were previously.
[/quote]

Care to elaborate on "accordingly"? We've already been through all of this many timesin this thread, im pretty sure Ped said it cant be done with this software but if you know of a way please share it with us.
Cheers.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1316614371' post='1380386']

There's a huge bug there. If I go to that page and select 'just items I follow' I get 277 pages of results. 277x25 topics per page = 6925 topics. I can be positive I have not followed 6925 topics.

That functionality ('New content' -> 'just items I follow' ) is even more broken than the 'Content I follow' and 'My Content' problems I've already logged.

Sorry ... I know you guys run this thing because you want to, I don't pay for the service, so you don't owe me anything ... so I'm not complaining. Fact is though, when I go to talkbass, I get to talk about basses, when I come here, all I seem to do is figure out how to fight the website to get what I want. If it stays that way, I'm just going to be spending more time elsewhere, rather than getting frustrated here. And I'd rather be coming here, to a local bass community.
[/quote]

Hi again

Your original thread has been noted and we're looking into it. As you know, though, we are all holding down full time jobs and it's not always easy to spend the whole evening making changes! We will, however, definitely get there in the end. I don't know if there's a 'huge bug' with the particular part you refer to, because nobody else seems to be having that particular problem, so it may well be an isolated issue. I can appreciate it must be frustrating but you could try marking everything as read and see if that helps. Rest assured, we are looking to fix every single little issue one at a time.

ped

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1316624269' post='1380588']
I don't use notifications by email but like the new posts filters a lot. Easier than getting a clogged up inbox
[/quote]

This is what I have been saying - the new posts filters make your life so much easier (hold on, BigBeatNut!)

On the old site if you posted in a thread you had to bookmark it in your browser or just remember to check back. With this forum you can find all the threads you started and participated in all under the one page.

If you are having problems with email, then turn it off for now. I have never set a forum to email me when someone posts as I just visit the bookmarked 'new posts/posts I have contributed in' page where I can see all my threads at a glance.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316625483' post='1380606']
As you know, though, we are all holding down full time jobs and it's not always easy to spend the whole evening making changes!

[/quote]
I kind of got that idea, yeah :)

Rest assured, we are looking to fix every single little issue one at a time.
[/quote]
Much appreciated, thank you.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316625643' post='1380610']

This is what I have been saying - the new posts filters make your life so much easier (hold on, BigBeatNut!)

On the old site if you posted in a thread you had to bookmark it in your browser or just remember to check back. With this forum you can find all the threads you started and participated in all under the one page.

If you are having problems with email, then turn it off for now. I have never set a forum to email me when someone posts as I just visit the bookmarked 'new posts/posts I have contributed in' page where I can see all my threads at a glance.

Cheers
ped
[/quote]

imho it's a massive improvement, and dead easy to use

excuse me if it's been said already, I didn't want to trawl through this whole thread, but my observations so far (not all upgrade related, but the new technology might allow a few things not possible with the old software):

- there is no lo-fi text only version now? this was incredibly useful for me on my android phone. now I have to trawl through a lot of unnecessary information, including some user signatures than span a couple of screens on my phone where the actual post content was 1 line!!!
- I think the front page is now looking very cluttered. I think it would be improved massively by removing the info on the last post in each section.
- removing "off-topic" from the "New Content" lists. I'm afraid I'm not generally interested in what goes on in there, and it's a bass site after all.
- back to annoying user signatures, dear oh dear.... please can there be a limit applied to the space taken up by user signatures? I know I can switch off the feature entirely, or selectively ignore specific users, but a) it generally can be a good source of info and :) I cannot be bothered adding individual users to an ignore list. Some people might as well add the brand of toilet roll they wipe their arse with :)

I hope thats sufficiently constructive :)

Cheers chaps the upgrade went pretty smootly I think.
Gwilym

I don't know if there's a 'huge bug' with the particular part you refer to, because nobody else seems to be having that particular problem, {...} but you could try marking everything as read and see if that helps. Rest assured, we are looking to fix every single little issue one at a time.

ped
[/quote]

I'm struggling to find something that lets me mark every topic as read. Can anyone give me a pointer ? (Do I really have to go into every single forum and subforum to do it ?)