Why become a member? ×

Next Weekend's Gig Has A Dress Code

Mykesbass

This is our Saturday gig - playing the rockier side of Dylan, Neil Young, Creedence and some Stones and they tell us this :) :

[url="http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/visitors/dress_code"]http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/visitors/dress_code[/url]

Think I'll dig out the old black tie and tuxedo - should still fit :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1367273' date='Sep 9 2011, 08:16 AM']Welcome to the snotty end of Bexhill :) I'm sure they'd love it if you all turn up in mankinis.[/quote]

Funnily enough it was your avatar that has led me to thinking about the tux! Think I'll give the pipe a miss though :)

You generally find that dress codes in Golf clubs are a good thing.. certainly, IMO... but they relax it for social nights that extend outside the club, generally.

Two things strike me here.... it is a members gig, so members will have to adhere to the code of their club and do they know
what they have booked ...???

I expect..but you should clarify... that smart casual will be ok... and talk to the organiser.
Members will not be able to wear shirts out and jeans etc ..but guests might do.

You need to clarify this as they are paying. It shouldn't a problem as functions generally have this 'smart' dress thing anyway.

Read the rider and that is pretty standard.

If you sit down for dinner, you'll need to wear a jacket and tie... but since you will not, you go straight to
the smart side of being in the club house.

You took the gig..sounds reasonable to abide by private members rules, in this case.

Definition of jeans is denin..although trousers with poppers and stitch-on pockets should come into this..most don't hold this up.
The members are their partners will dress up, so so should you.

That is the way it is...

I did a golf course gig once in Berkshire, an afternoon gig over 10 years afo. All this nonsense was in place but whilst we were there, there was this young woman in the bar with a see-through dress on who was not wearing a bra. Funnily enough, she wasn't asked to leave.

These old school values are so quaint it is unblievable but the membership still buy into the whole thing. All you can do is laugh and play the game or refuse the gig. I guess its no different than wearing a tux in a pit orchestra. You deliver what the customer wants, even if he's a total prat.

If you want a [i]real[/i] laugh, park in the captain's parking space to unload your gear :) :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1367491' date='Sep 9 2011, 12:05 PM']If you want a [i]real[/i] laugh, park in the captain's parking space to unload your gear :P :)[/quote]

:D :lol: :lol:

although I would think the captain would have had a hand in this booking.
I can think of a few that would NOT find this funny :) :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' post='1367489' date='Sep 9 2011, 12:02 PM']Read the rider and that is pretty standard.

If you sit down for dinner, you'll need to wear a jacket and tie... but since you will not, you go straight to
the smart side of being in the club house.

You took the gig..sounds reasonable to abide by private members rules, in this case.

Definition of jeans is denin..although trousers with poppers and stitch-on pockets should come into this..most don't hold this up.
The members are their partners will dress up, so so should you.

That is the way it is...[/quote]

Not too worried about having to do so, and yes, as a band we have just been told no jeans, trainers or t-shirts, it was the no socks think that struck me as totally pompous and archaic :)

Club Captain - didn't know golf (outside Ryder Cup) was a team game :)

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1367579' date='Sep 9 2011, 01:07 PM']Not too worried about having to do so, and yes, as a band we have just been told no jeans, trainers or t-shirts, it was the no socks think that struck me as totally pompous and archaic :)

Club Captain - didn't know golf (outside Ryder Cup) was a team game :lol:[/quote]

and on that note you will of course be playing your Sue Ryder Bass :)

Ill get my tux!!

A

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1367600' date='Sep 9 2011, 01:24 PM'][i]"Socks should be worn at all times"[/i]

Seems fair enough to me. :)

[/quote]

excellent!

It doesn't actually specify that anything else must be worn, just lists stuff that can't.

Ah, I'm mistaken: 'Caps must be worn with the peak facing forwards.' Dogs must be carried?

So it's socks on cocks and baseball caps on heads.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1367579' date='Sep 9 2011, 01:07 PM']Not too worried about having to do so, and yes, as a band we have just been told no jeans, trainers or t-shirts, it was the no socks think that struck me as totally pompous and archaic :)

Club Captain - didn't know golf (outside Ryder Cup) was a team game :)[/quote]

Some clubs would lighten up touch for a social do with 'guests'..apparently this club doesn't.

Hope it works out.

Copied from these rules:

Jackets and ties must be worn in the Dining Room but in the Clubhouse smart casual wear is perfectly acceptable, though this excludes jeans, cargo pants, tee-shirts, open-necked shirts without collars, track suits and trainers. Caps and headgear must be removed at all times.

Looks to me like jacket and a tie then - minus shirt, because they haven`t stated one is necessary.

Edited by Lozz196

• 5 weeks later...