Why become a member? ×

Orange bass terror sleeve

dan2112

So a few weeks ago I had the mad idea about getting a wooden frame built for my bass terror (a la AD200). I found a local cab maker [url="http://afcustomcabinets.weebly.com/"]A F Custom Cabinets[/url] who was willing to build what I had in mind. After scouring the web and an email to Orange (which they didn't reply) I didn't really find what I was after (though I did see one or two that were made for the tiny terror). The reason why I wanted this built for my head was to make it a little more substantial and also I felt that it was a little bit exposed with all of those grilles. After a few emails and popping down to Mark's workshop for measurements and a few design discussions he set to work on my sleeve. I requested that he send me build photos (mainly because this is the first 'custom' product I've ever ordered and I thought it would be quite nice to see the build diary) which I'll share on here :)
[attachment=88950:8._Face_...evelled..jpg]
[attachment=88952:10._Edge...undover..jpg]
[attachment=88951:9._Face_...th_tape..jpg]
[attachment=88945:3._In_th...ail_Jig..JPG]
[attachment=88946:4._Dovet...cut_out..JPG]
[attachment=88947:5._Perfe...ry_time..jpg]
[attachment=88943:1._18mm_...cutting..jpg]
[attachment=88948:6._Clamp...ernight..jpg]
[attachment=88949:7._Face_..._mitred..jpg]
[attachment=88944:2._Top__...to_size..JPG]

A few days later I had a phonecall to pop down to see how the head fitted in the sleeve. I'mn very happy with how it's looking so far.
[attachment=88953:296650_1...534739_n.jpg]

The sleeve is going to be covered in black tolex with white piping like the black Orange heads.

[quote name='dan2112' post='1366533' date='Sep 8 2011, 03:44 PM']I felt that it was a little bit exposed with all of those grilles.[/quote]

Looks very cool and is a nice little idea, but those grilles are there to allow the heat to escape, is there anything to take that into account on the case that will allow the heat out?

Is it costing you much if you don't mind me asking?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1366632' date='Sep 8 2011, 04:42 PM']I'd have gone with cocobolo myself ...

:)[/quote]
We did discuss subtle tonal differences within the wood and screws. WE did come to a conclusion that a rubber and handle would offer a slight low cut at 40Hz to get rid of some unwanted rumble.

Wow thats excellent! That's got me looking at the terror bass in a whole new light. Have you been able to source any orange tolex to cover it and how are you getting access to the DI?

Edited by JPJ

[quote name='JPJ' post='1375617' date='Sep 16 2011, 03:06 PM']Wow thats excellent! That's got me looking at the terror bass in a whole new light. Have you been able to source any orange tolex to cover it and how are you getting access to the DI?[/quote]

Extension cable to the rear plate maybe? Dunno... guess we'll find out!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!! Sorry for being slow with the reply's, have had a mental fortnight! Anyway, it's done. Picked it up yesterday and what can I say....I'm very pleased with how it's turned out. As far as the Di and effects loop....the di on the amp is pretty useless ( have a sansamp on my pedal board) and I've never used an effects loop on an amp. Anyway, enough rambling on....here are some pictures :)

As you can see in the picture of the rear of the head, it's currently supported by bits of wood. The head is now attached to the frame and it looks much neater.

Edited by dan2112

I'd be so tempted to pair that with an 8x8 cab recovered in the same livery for an optical illusion stack :)

Seriously though, that looks so much better than the stock Terror bass heads that I cant believe Orange arnt doing a similar option.

Well done, lovely to see something original

• 2 weeks later...