Why become a member? ×

Amp signed by Mark King

pbass67

Hi

Back in the days of Bassist magazine I was the lucky git who won an Ashdown ABM400 head that was signed by Mark King. Still got it and its been great, but thinking it may be time to move it on.
What price do you put on an amp with a signature. Of course it depends on whether you're a fan of the signatory or not but I can't decide where to start the pricing. Because of this, it'll probably go on the bay with a reserve but if any King fans out there want to pm me offers then fire away. Would also like to hear examples of what other signed gear has gone for.

Cheers

Paul

It adds zero to value, it does add a modicum of interest to MK fans , you [i]may[/i] get some of them paying a bit more, and thats about all. sorry.Unless its one of those limited edition Ashdows with his sig' on them then maybe a bit more interest, but again only off big MK fans.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1363160' date='Sep 5 2011, 05:53 PM']I doubt it adds anything to the value.
Was it just an amp that had been signed by him, or was it an amp that he had used on a tour or recorded with?[/quote]

A few years back i had an EBS 350 head from Bernie Goodfellow when he was at Croydon,
It had been used, then signed by Marcus Miller - it got little interest other than a trade + cash with a fellow Bassworlder for an EBS Fafner.

Garry

I wouldnt want amp signed by anybody, so it would put me off a bit, no offense to MK, so where it might add a bit of interest fpor some, equally it would put some others off.

[This is from someone who after many years coveting an acoustic 360 bought one that had been stencilled STEPS, which no amount of cleaning and black shoe polish has been able to remove]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1363329' date='Sep 5 2011, 07:54 PM']Chris2112 to the checkout...............[/quote]

I've already got my Mark King amp! It even has his signature on it...albeit just a reproduction! That is, of course, because I have a very nice Ashdown MK500 combo. The only amp that could make me go back to Ashdown, it's superb!

But Mark never used the ABM stuff, I suspect this will just have been signed as part of his duties endorsing Ashdown. It's cool that he signed it, but it won't add any real value when you look at the used gear market now. When so many awesome items are sitting without a buyer, I doubt many will pay extra for Mark's signature.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1363334' date='Sep 5 2011, 07:58 PM']I've already got my Mark King amp! It even has his signature on it...albeit just a reproduction! That is, of course, because I have a very nice Ashdown MK500 combo. The only amp that could make me go back to Ashdown, it's superb!

But Mark never used the ABM stuff, I suspect this will just have been signed as part of his duties endorsing Ashdown. It's cool that he signed it, but it won't add any real value when you look at the used gear market now. When so many awesome items are sitting without a buyer, I doubt many will pay extra for Mark's signature.[/quote]

I'd pay an extra tenner for an amp with his signature on above the price I'd pay for a non autographed model.

That makes a total of a tenner then. :)

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1363334' date='Sep 5 2011, 07:58 PM']I've already got my Mark King amp! It even has his signature on it...albeit just a reproduction! That is, of course, because I have a very nice Ashdown MK500 combo. The only amp that could make me go back to Ashdown, it's superb!

But Mark never used the ABM stuff, I suspect this will just have been signed as part of his duties endorsing Ashdown. It's cool that he signed it, but it won't add any real value when you look at the used gear market now. When so many awesome items are sitting without a buyer, I doubt many will pay extra for Mark's signature.[/quote]

4 mins, that was quick!

If it was a signed cab I'd say wrap it in cotton wool, insert your own joke :)

and who pray tell is Natasha Henstridge? (sorry, not too hot on me celebs)

oh, and thanks for the replies. I figured as much. I generally wouldn't pay extra either, but I guess someone out there may so it seems ebay is the way, but I'll stick a post up on Level 42 and Statii sites as well and see what happens.

cheers

p.

[quote name='pbass67' post='1363649' date='Sep 6 2011, 12:32 AM']and who pray tell is Natasha Henstridge? (sorry, not too hot on me celebs)

oh, and thanks for the replies. I figured as much. I generally wouldn't pay extra either, but I guess someone out there may so it seems ebay is the way, but I'll stick a post up on Level 42 and Statii sites as well and see what happens.

cheers

p.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Natasha Henstridge is the blonde in SPECIES!