Why become a member? ×

Slapping a StingRay 5

NJE

Does anyone else out there struggle slapping on a StingRay 5? I have never been a massive fan of, or very good at slapping but I know a bit and can do the odd phrase or riff and my technique is not terrible. Recently I have been required to do a bit more for the covers band and am struggling to slap the stingray.

I have big hands and whenever I pluck I catch my cuticle on the string below to the point where It was bleeding the other night after 45 mins practicing a slap line. Is this really bad technique or just a product of fat fingers, big hands and narrow string spacing?

Interesting to see how other Ray owners get on.

I do have big hands and fat fingers unfortunately which certainly doesnt help, but I think your right, its just getting the angles right and adjusting. I find the stingray very narrow after very broad necked basses with 19mm spacing so I think I am going to have to adjust to the Ray.

I am trying to learn Tell me baby by the Chillis which is slapped all the way through and to be fair I have only been at it for a few hours over the past four days. Its getting better and I am not getting sore fingers like I was on day one but compared to slapping on my Squier deluxe V its hard.

As you say practice practice practice.... :)

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1359912' date='Sep 2 2011, 02:30 PM']I've got very small hands so isn't a problem. I've now just discovered the strings need replacing on mine! :)[/quote]

I have also been playing with very dead Slinkys and have some Elixirs on the way, so at least my bad out of time slapping will have a better tone I guess.

[quote name='NJE' post='1359918' date='Sep 2 2011, 02:34 PM']I have also been playing with very dead Slinkys and have some Elixirs on the way, so at least my bad out of time slapping will have a better tone I guess.[/quote]

I think Slinkys sound the best on a 'Ray, but then I'm a big fan of the strings anyway. I've currently got some cheap as chips Dean Markleys on mine, the price is reflected in the life of them though. :)

This and .....[quote name='thumbo' post='1359847' date='Sep 2 2011, 01:37 PM']Practice, practice, practice :lol: I don't think Ray 5's are the easiest to slap on, but with practice you'll get the angles just right with your right hand. If you learn to slap well on your 5 string, going back to a 4 will feel so easy in comparison.[/quote]

This.
[quote name='NJE' post='1359898' date='Sep 2 2011, 02:17 PM']I do have big hands and fat fingers unfortunately which certainly doesnt help, but I think your right, its just getting the angles right and adjusting. I find the stingray very narrow after very broad necked basses with 19mm spacing so I think I am going to have to adjust to the Ray.

I am trying to learn Tell me baby by the Chillis which is slapped all the way through and to be fair I have only been at it for a few hours over the past four days. Its getting better and I am not getting sore fingers like I was on day one but compared to slapping on my Squier deluxe V its hard.

As you say practice practice practice.... :)[/quote]

As a very recent convert from 10 years on a Ray 4 to less than a year on a Ray 5 Im just getting the hang of it, You need to spin your right hand round anti clockwise a bit to compensate for the B being in the way but as others have said once you nail the 5 the 4 will be even easier, if anything its tidied my slap technique up a bit. Im now just a crap on 5 as 4 :)

If anything its more of a 5 compared to 4 string slapping issue than a Ray 5 slapping issue as such.