Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Player of the 00ties

teen t-shirt

Ryan Martinie - Mudvayne
Sam Rivers - Limp Bizkit
Dirk Lance - Incubus (Incidentally, Dirk was the person who introduced Sam Rivers to Warwick basse's)
Stuart Zender - Jamiroquai
Tye Zamora - Alien Ant Farm
Arif Mirabdolbaghi - Portest The Hero

And a few who are not greatly known but are huge on the American Gospel scene and are a bigger influence on me than some of the ones listed above:

Dwayne Wright
Justin Raines
Thurman "Peanut" Woods
John King
Maruice Fitzgerald

Apart from the religous jargon I think Gospel Bass Players are by far some of the best around, and pretty much all of them use Ken Smiths!

Edited by Josh

[quote name='youngie' post='158135' date='Mar 15 2008, 07:25 PM']no. as the kaiser chiefs sang 'everything is average nowadays'[/quote]
indie is terrible, it's like flogging a dead horse now i wish people would give up on it like they have with scene music

I really like Terry Tribett who played with Jill Scott in the early noughties, part of her backing group "Fatback Taffy". His cousin (I think) Erik Tibett is a mentally amazing drummer too.

I think they come from the Gospel scene. There are a load of unknown greats on the Philadelpia Nu-Soul scene, as far as I can tell.

The hoodie guy in The Roots as well?

Just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

I think Tord Øverland-Knudsen from the Wombats has potential

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RVXqMzGit8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RVXqMzGit8[/url]

With a curly lead & what looks like a JapCrap Jazz copy - boy will go far!

[quote name='stoo' post='209298' date='May 30 2008, 01:01 AM']No mention of Tal Wilkenfeld yet?[/quote]

Rightly so.

Danyel Morgan of Robert Randolph & The Family Band. Good bass player and he was nice enough to message back on myspace.

Edited by The Funk

How depressing. Despite being an Old Git, I pride myself on keeping up with Good New Stuff. I just looked at my download library for inspiration, but my 'finds' of late are more acoustic leaning. Lots of good albums have come out in the naughties, but from acts who hail from at least a decade or two a go.

One act that could make this thread though is Yeasayer ...with Ira Wolf Tuton making the bass a vital ingredient.

[quote name='Buzz' post='157800' date='Mar 15 2008, 03:08 AM']Alex James?

/runs before the lynching team arrives and my head rolls[/quote]

plus the one...he's a fantastic bass player, and i'll agree about the bloke from the killers as well.

[quote name='The Funk' post='209320' date='May 30 2008, 02:23 AM']Rightly so.

Danyel Morgan of Robert Randolph & The Family Band. Good bass player and he was nice enough to message back on myspace.

[/quote]

I've just gone onto amazon and bought that album.

Fantastic!

Yeah they're great - can't wait so see them at the Hard Rock Calling in Hyde Park with Clapton (hopefully Doyle Bramhall II too), Mayer and Scott McKeon. If you don't know Scott then you should really check him out: [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zNCiH37xAZM"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zNCiH37xAZM[/url]

Quite undergroud at the moment but will make it big I think.

Sorry for going off at a tangent. My vote is for [b]Paul Turner[/b], I can't wait for the next JK album. Just look at Runaway for an example of what's to come.

Edited by TimmyC

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='158019' date='Mar 15 2008, 04:44 PM']Seth Horan[/quote]

Great stuff! love a bassplayer that can play as he does, and still sing over the top... Great talent.

Speaking of talent... when did Tal Wilkenfeld stand out in the circuit? me thinks 00's

Edited by Aussiephoenix

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='157918' date='Mar 15 2008, 12:50 PM']sorry guys i probably didn't start this too well

shall we say bassists that are still going strong or still going at all in the 00's

that'll be easier

:)

gets his coat for being such a muppet![/quote]

If thats the Case......

Flea :huh: