Why become a member? ×

Fretless five strings

Dom in Dorset

I like the low B..but then again I generally prefer a low B to a high C on fretted too.I think the main reason is
just because the low B is more practical in the majority of situations. The high C is great if you are playing more
solo and chordal stuff.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1359437' date='Sep 2 2011, 07:28 AM']Totally depends on the build quality of the bass. It sounds awesome on my Sei and my Overwater fretless basses.[/quote]

Also sounds pretty decent on my cheapo cort curbow.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1359046' date='Sep 1 2011, 05:48 PM']I like the low B..but then again I generally prefer a low B to a high C on fretted too.I think the main reason is
just because the low B is more practical in the majority of situations. The high C is great if you are playing more
solo and chordal stuff.[/quote]

+1 to this. Holds true for fretted 5s as well IMHO.

OK, so how about a five string fretless with some alternative tunings?

One idea might be a fiver strung D-G-C-F-Bb? Keeping it in fourths, but with the low range of the bottom D up to almost the highest C on a sixer.

Alternatively, and this is a bit out of left-field, but how about tuning in fifths i.e. C-G-D-A-E? That way, you could have a more conventional five-string fretless (which may be considerably cheaper) but still have pretty much the same range a six-banger.

HTH,
Ian