Why become a member? ×

What do do

jdt

I'm 55, started learning to play late last year, and last Friday rehearsed with drummer two guitarists and a vocalist for the first time(the oldest is in his mid sixties) We all had a great time and are now looking to get a set together and start gigging. There is nothing to stop you! Good Luck.
Regards
Peter

Edited by pqs

[quote name='pqs' post='1355323' date='Aug 29 2011, 03:26 PM']I'm 55, started learning to play late last year, and last Friday rehearsed with drummer two guitarists and a vocalist for the first time(the oldest is in his mid sixties) We all had a great time and are now looking to get a set together and start gigging. There is nothing to stop you! Good Luck.
Regards
Peter[/quote]

Good for you !! I am a late starter too. Took up the bass six years at age 50. Really enjoying the learning process, and jamming/gigging with others. There is nothing to stop anyone of any age taking up an instrument.

[quote name='Coilte' post='1355426' date='Aug 29 2011, 05:21 PM']There is nothing to stop anyone of any age taking up an instrument.[/quote]

and there are no rules or laws that dictate when you should stop either. :)

[quote name='jdt' post='1354448' date='Aug 28 2011, 04:18 PM']loved trying to play the bass, now hooked but need
be taken back down to reality, i enjoy my tanglewood,
but not the jaguar ,or fender 200 amp, sugestions ?.
thanks.[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF4H8lB2Y_o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF4H8lB2Y_o[/url]

GO FOR IT AND KEEP GOING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

62 and playing in two bands - loving every minute but have gone to an Ampeg combo with wheels and a lightweight bitza Precision played a bit higher than I did in the old days.

Interesting thing is that the strap is the same length as it used to be and I can see the fretboard dots now - I wonder why? :)

Another wonderful thing is the young girls who come and chat to us umprompted at gigs. Is it because they feel safer with these "uncle figures"? :)

I'm 48 next month. Back in bands 5 years go after about 20 years gap. The current band's been going for coming up to two years. We've just recorded our second EP, been on the radio a few times. I'm writing songs and lyrics, playing reasonable sized and paid gigs, touring Germany next year, etc.

The world's yer lobster. I aim to be doing this until I croak.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1355046' date='Aug 29 2011, 10:26 AM']Coming up 48. My only problem is that a late night playing really takes it out of me. I've no idea how I used to play three gigs over a weekend. You just do what you can do and what you enjoy.

I've been thinking about getting some lightweight gear but I currently play in a very loud pub rock band with vocal only PA. So the two 15s and 500W amp is kinda what it takes. Any suggestions gratefully received though.[/quote]

At the risk of sounding like a barefaced fan boy ... the compact will give you all the low end and volume you could ever need. In terms of amps, the 600 watt shuttle weighs less than 4lb.

Edited by bassman7755

Great to hear all the oldies chirping up....51 here, didn't START playing until I was 43, been in bands ever since, and luvvin it! The weight thing hasn't taken its toll yet, but I do like a good sit down during rehearsals and after a gig my feet are killing me lol! Just wheel me on..I'll be there playing!

Edited by Oopsdabassist

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1355046' date='Aug 29 2011, 10:26 AM']Coming up 48. My only problem is that a late night playing really takes it out of me. I've no idea how I used to play three gigs over a weekend. You just do what you can do and what you enjoy.

I've been thinking about getting some lightweight gear but I currently play in a very loud pub rock band with vocal only PA. So the two 15s and 500W amp is kinda what it takes. Any suggestions gratefully received though.[/quote]

[quote name='bassman7755' post='1356930' date='Aug 30 2011, 09:59 PM']At the risk of sounding like a barefaced fan boy ... the compact will give you all the low end and volume you could ever need. In terms of amps, the 600 watt shuttle weighs less than 4lb.[/quote]

Definately. I`ve a Barefaced Compact and Midget. In truth, I could probably get away with using only the Compact, but I like to have the Midget as well, for the extra height, so therefore makes it much easier to hear. Performance from this tiny stack is amazing. Certainly as good as my old Marshall 412 - but a lot easier for a 45 year-old.

And with so many lightweight heads on the market now, TC, Orange Terror, Genz, Markbass, Ampeg PF, bass playing is no longer the "heavy" instrument in the band that it used to be.

Edited by Lozz196

I'm 45 and I started playing the bass (properly) earlier this year. I do have "previous" though :). I'm looking forward to playing in a band again. Got my beard coming along nicely!

I'll echo the other comments: definitely get a light bass. I started on a Squire - nice, but too heavy.

Another one of the grey brigade here - 53 and 11/12ths, played my first gig in front of a live paying audience 3 years ago. Feels like that little piece of me that has been missing all these years has finally dropped into place.

Lightweight is definitely the way to go - if you haven't got a dodgy back you will most likely get one at some point so no point tempting fate by lugging 4x10 cabs about! My rehearsal basses are either SGC Nanyo SB-310 or a Hohner B2AD cricket bat - 7lbs is barely noticeable round your neck. I made a switch from classic Trace Elliot rig to a Barefaced Compact cab and TC Electronics Classic 450 head and can still hardly believe that something that weighs so little can sound so huge. If I think what I have saved in osteopath fees it has paid for itself already.

Edited by Paul S

I've only just started and am well over 45. So nothing wrong with that as everyone else is pointing out. :)
I've been standing up a lot while practicing recently as I have a little gig coming up on Sunday! Really noticed how heavy the bass seems after a while. This has led me to think about taking care of my back a bit.

I go to regular Body Pump classes (weight exercises to music) and one of the exercises involves doing squats with a weighted bar accross your back (the idea being to make your thighs work more). But I was only thinking this morning that I might stop using the weights for that one. It seems to me that it might put extra pressure on your back, without particularly strengthening it. It's not as if I'm trying to turn into a body builder or anything, I mainly do Body Pump for general fitness and to try to stave off the 'bingo wings'.

I don't have a proper amp (yet) because at the moment I'm just playing in duo with an acoutsic guitarist, so the little Marshall practice amp is fine. But as and when I do get a bigger one I'll just have to play the helpless female and get friends or neighbours to help me up the stairs with it (I live in a second floor flat!).

Core exercises are the thing. And yoga - seriously. I used to do lots of weight exercises and was once proud to be as strong as an ox. Now I just look like one :) Your body changes as you get older and to get your middle section into shape is probably the best thing you can do to stave off back issues and help with posture and all things middle age.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1357404' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:29 PM']Core exercises are the thing. And yoga - seriously. I used to do lots of weight exercises and was once proud to be as strong as an ox. Now I just look like one :) Your body changes as you get older and to get your middle section into shape is probably the best thing you can do to stave off back issues and help with posture and all things middle age.[/quote]

Yes, another class I go to is Body Balance which is a mixture of youga, tia chi and pilates again done to music. There are some lovely core exercises and postures that really stretch out your back. It's just occurred to me that I could be stretching my back out nicely with that, only to squash it up again with the weight lifting! So I think I'll try to avoid exercises that involve having the bar across your back in future.

[quote name='seashell' post='1357464' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:12 PM']Yes, another class I go to is Body Balance which is a mixture of youga, tia chi and pilates again done to music. There are some lovely core exercises and postures that really stretch out your back. It's just occurred to me that I could be stretching my back out nicely with that, only to squash it up again with the weight lifting! So I think I'll try to avoid exercises that involve having the bar across your back in future.[/quote]
+1 Pilates and Little Mark have prolonged my playing days