Why become a member? ×

Fender Marcus Miller Jazz

Fullmetal

So I'm looking at reducing my collection down to a single, more professional model. I currently own an Ibanez ATK (which gets little use) and a Fender MIM Jazz Deluxe. I wanted to upgrade to an MIA Jazz Deluxe, however I have been looking at other fenders recently and I've noticed the Marcus Miller jazz is only £600 used (as opposed to MIA's which tend to be £1k+)

So I'm curious as to why these basses lose 40% of their value whereas other fenders do not? I've heard/read reviews that the Marcus Miller basses have poor circuitry which causes some low humming but as I havn't been able to play one yet, I am unsure.

[quote name='Fullmetal' post='1353886' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:03 PM']So I'm looking at reducing my collection down to a single, more professional model. I currently own an Ibanez ATK (which gets little use) and a Fender MIM Jazz Deluxe. I wanted to upgrade to an MIA Jazz Deluxe, however I have been looking at other fenders recently and I've noticed the Marcus Miller jazz is only £600 used (as opposed to MIA's which tend to be £1k+)

So I'm curious as to why these basses lose 40% of their value whereas other fenders do not? I've heard/read reviews that the Marcus Miller basses have poor circuitry which causes some low humming but as I havn't been able to play one yet, I am unsure.[/quote]

They're MIJ. Having said that, £1000 for a used (recent) MIA is excessive.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1353906' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:49 PM']They're MIJ. Having said that, £1000 for a used (recent) MIA is excessive.[/quote]

Ebay is averaging around the £1k mark for an MIA Jazz Deluxe :S Havn't seen any posted around here recently.

And thank you for pointing out that the Marcus Miller's are MIJ, always thought they were MIA which is why I was confused. Since they are MIJ, doesn't that mean there is a significant difference (reduced quality parts and build?)

[quote name='Fullmetal' post='1353927' date='Aug 27 2011, 10:18 PM']And thank you for pointing out that the Marcus Miller's are MIJ, always thought they were MIA which is why I was confused. Since they are MIJ, doesn't that mean there is a significant difference (same quality parts and improved quality of build?)[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

[quote name='Fullmetal' post='1353927' date='Aug 27 2011, 10:18 PM']Ebay is averaging around the £1k mark for an MIA Jazz Deluxe :S Havn't seen any posted around here recently.

And thank you for pointing out that the Marcus Miller's are MIJ, always thought they were MIA which is why I was confused. Since they are MIJ, doesn't that mean there is a significant difference (reduced quality parts and build?)[/quote]

The marcus miller v's are MIA, hence the horrendous increase in price for one of those versus the 4 string model, and relative rarity

mate my MM4 is basically my main bass. I had no real problem with the preamp although have to admit I didn't use it under studio conditions before choosing to load it up with a John East Marcus Retro just to get the added flexibility. I am now very very happy - the CIJ build is good, it feels solid, slick neck and with the East there is total flexibility. Studio and live it's brilliant. I know there are some very very good Jazzes out there but MM4's are the best quality, best value SH jazzes out there in my opinion. Add a John East and you've got a £1K+ bass for £2-300 less than that.

[quote name='Fullmetal' post='1353950' date='Aug 27 2011, 10:48 PM']Back to a previous point, can anyone verify whether these basses emit a low hum at all? I've seen a few reviews which seem to comment critically on this issue :S Just wondering if it's a problem which has been fixed or if the problem still exists in new models.[/quote]

Edited by RichF

[quote name='Fullmetal' post='1353950' date='Aug 27 2011, 10:48 PM']Back to a previous point, can anyone verify whether these basses emit a low hum at all? I've seen a few reviews which seem to comment critically on this issue :S Just wondering if it's a problem which has been fixed or if the problem still exists in new models.[/quote]

Mine never hummed. But they are single coil pups running through an active pre so you're going to get some noise when a pup is solo'd.

They're good guitars and the pre-amps are very decent. I thought the pups were particularly well judged and the neck finish was excellent. The neck pocket fit on mine wasn't great and the finish on the body could have been better, but it played very well and sounded the business

Edited by desmondpot

Got mine for £450, great bass for the money. Actually apart from the preamp and the ugly control panel it's a really great bass whatever the money.

My problem with the preamp is that while it adds bass and treble it actually makes the bass sound less like Marcus Miller's sound. Boost the treble EQ and it sounds a bit reedy, boost the bass EQ and it doesn't have the fatness I'd hoped for, just woollyness. There's a bit of hiss on mine with the treble boosted, and the single coil pickups will hum in some circumstances but no more so than any other Jazz bass I've owned.

Running the bass passive sounds really great, running it passive through an outboard Sadowsky preamp with DR Highbeam or Fatbeam strings is pure Marcus tone if that's what you want.

I'd say it's a good value, good quality snappy sounding Jazz bass that sounds great passive and with a preamp change can sound awesome.

[quote name='RichF' post='1353970' date='Aug 27 2011, 11:16 PM']mate my MM4 is basically my main bass. I had no real problem with the preamp although have to admit I didn't use it under studio conditions before choosing to load it up with a John East Marcus Retro just to get the added flexibility. I am now very very happy - the CIJ build is good, it feels solid, slick neck and with the East there is total flexibility. Studio and live it's brilliant. I know there are some very very good Jazzes out there but MM4's are the best quality, best value SH jazzes out there in my opinion. Add a John East and you've got a £1K+ bass for £2-300 less than that.[/quote]

I agree with the above , I did exactly the same , gives you endless tone options.

Dont be put off with it being CIJ quality is excellent , and in my opinion better than a lot of MIA that I've picked up in the past ! :)

[quote name='AaronScho' post='1354763' date='Aug 28 2011, 09:30 PM']I DONT KNOW BUT I CANT EVEN SELL MINE FOR 600!!!!!

woops caps -- im not that angry[/quote]

550-575 seems to be the going rate, and as you've seen above one guy got one for 450! obviously this is variably depending on condition, colour and presence of a case, whether you are offering insured shipping.

It'll sell, these things always do.

[quote name='AaronScho' post='1354763' date='Aug 28 2011, 09:30 PM']I DONT KNOW BUT I CANT EVEN SELL MINE FOR 600!!!!!
woops caps -- im not that angry[/quote]
Unfortunately like others I've clocked them for sale for significantly less than £600, so I'd not be disappointed that you aren't getting that for yours!

Just out of interest how much were the MM basses when new? You generally can expect to lose anything from 30%-50% when reselling a used item that you purchased new; if the MM basses were £600 new then used you could reasonably expect to get £300-£400... if they were £1000 new (which I doubt) then £500-£700 could be the going rate. It's basic economics. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1354806' date='Aug 28 2011, 10:34 PM']Unfortunately like others I've clocked them for sale for significantly less than £600, so I'd not be disappointed that you aren't getting that for yours!

Just out of interest how much were the MM basses when new? You generally can expect to lose anything from 30%-50% when reselling a used item that you purchased new; if the MM basses were £600 new then used you could reasonably expect to get £300-£400... if they were £1000 new (which I doubt) then £500-£700 could be the going rate. It's basic economics. :)[/quote]

I think £850 is the going new rate, and I bet you could talk a shop down to £750 if you had cash/were a regular etc.

[quote name='desmondpot' post='1353974' date='Aug 27 2011, 11:20 PM']Mine never hummed. But they are single coil pups running through an active pre so you're going to get some noise when a pup is solo'd.

They're good guitars and the pre-amps are very decent. I thought the pups were particularly well judged and the neck finish was excellent. The neck pocket fit on mine wasn't great and the finish on the body could have been better, but it played very well and sounded the business[/quote]MM4 great bass poor preamp.. MM5 great bass, the best Fender jazz 5 i ever played..

[quote name='dc2009' post='1354786' date='Aug 28 2011, 09:59 PM']550-575 seems to be the going rate, and as you've seen above one guy got one for 450! obviously this is variably depending on condition, colour and presence of a case, whether you are offering insured shipping.

It'll sell, these things always do.[/quote]

Yup, but mine is pretty worn and beaten up although it still plays very well.

I'd say £525 to £575 is about the right price for a good one in these difficult times.

[quote name='Fullmetal' post='1353886' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:03 PM']So I'm looking at reducing my collection down to a single, more professional model. I currently own an Ibanez ATK (which gets little use) and a Fender MIM Jazz Deluxe. I wanted to upgrade to an MIA Jazz Deluxe, however I have been looking at other fenders recently and I've noticed the Marcus Miller jazz is only £600 used (as opposed to MIA's which tend to be £1k+)[/quote]
I've had a Marcus for a few years now and it's a great bass-admittedly I initially bought it because of what it is,but it is
a great instrument non the less.
Don't get fooled on the whole 'professional model' thing-The Mexican Deluxe models are great (lately I'm doing the majority
of my work on the five string model) and the Ibanez ATK are really underrated.