Why become a member? ×

Precisions with Jazz necks

aldude

Having failed to secure either Duck Dunn that's been for sale on here, my interest has turned to other P basses with jazz-like necks. So, what is out there?

My own tastes would require MIJ or MIA, more modern style (eg. no bridge or pickup covers), and no bitsa! Preferably active preamp. Quality rather than cheapness. Does anything fit this?

Fender Precision Lyte - there's a metallic black one in the classifieds [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145651&hl=lyte"]here[/url] at the moment going for a ridiculously low price - I think down to £320 at the moment. With the disclaimer that the body is smaller than a precision, although precision shaped (strat shaped?)

Fender Power Jazz Bass Special.

Both tick all your boxes - no scratch plates, active, MIJ, skinny Jazz necks.

I have both these and the Power Jazz Special is a quality instrument. Nowt wrong with the Lyte, but the Power Jazz Special is superb.

[quote name='aldude' post='1350499' date='Aug 24 2011, 05:26 PM']Having failed to secure either Duck Dunn that's been for sale on here,[/quote]

Me too :-(

Someone already mentioned the Fender Power Jazz Bass Special but i think these are quite hard to come by. You can get the Duff McKagan Signature bass, which i believe is based on the Power bass quite easily but its not particularly cheap.

Edited by dave_bass5

Yes, The Duff Mckagan signature Precision does it all except it is passive - which I think makes it pretty well the same as the old Fender Jazz Bass Special.

[smug] I was lucky enough to be on the right thread at the right time and got an 80s Power Jazz Bass Special just as the last owner had decided he was selling it and before he advertised it. It looks exactly like the McKagan signature model - pearl white with black headstock - but active (and a couple of other little differences). If you can excuse the ridiculous bass face here is mine - I adore it!:

[attachment=87829:rfhs11g.jpg]

[/smug]

I played this the other day:

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1917&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url]

I'd say it's the one to get unless you can find the Lakland 'Dunn' model (think it's name has changed recently). PLayed amazingly with the Jazz profile neck I'm used to, sounded every bit the growly, hollow P bass too. Might get myself one next year. It really is a FENDER P bass with a jazz neck !!

[quote name='fingerz' post='1351160' date='Aug 25 2011, 11:39 AM']I played this the other day:

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1917&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url]

I'd say it's the one to get unless you can find the Lakland 'Dunn' model (think it's name has changed recently). PLayed amazingly with the Jazz profile neck I'm used to, sounded every bit the growly, hollow P bass too. Might get myself one next year. It really is a FENDER P bass with a jazz neck !![/quote]

Thats a lovely looking bass, i wouldn't mind one myself but it has a P neck (41.3mm), the DD has a Jazz neck (38mm). Not a great deal in it i admit but having two necks with those nut sizes i much prefer the Jazz neck and do notice a difference.

Bugger, P bass GAS now, especially as it has vintage style frets :)

Edited by dave_bass5

Funny how a couple of mm makes all the difference. I prefer less than 40mm, preferably 38mm. No way I can get comfortable with a 5 string.

Yes, Dave, I believe the Jazz Bass Specials and Power Jazz Bass Specials are MIJ. There was a passive one sold on eBay in the last week for £380, which I think is an excellent price. Especially when you consider that some of the MIJ Squiers can fetch half as much again for no particualr reason that I can see.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1351171' date='Aug 25 2011, 11:47 AM']Thats a lovely looking bass, i wouldn't mind one myself but it has a P neck (41.3mm), the DD has a Jazz neck (38mm). Not a great deal in it i admit but having two necks with those nut sizes i much prefer the Jazz neck and do notice a difference.

Bugger, P bass GAS now, especially as it has vintage style frets :)[/quote]

Ah! Well it felt much smaller than P basses usually do. STill not tight enough eh?! Still a great compromise, sounds great and plays fast and funky. Sorry for my ill informed ramblings! I'll get me coat!

[quote name='Paul S' post='1351193' date='Aug 25 2011, 11:59 AM']Funny how a couple of mm makes all the difference. I prefer less than 40mm, preferably 38mm. No way I can get comfortable with a 5 string.

Yes, Dave, I believe the Jazz Bass Specials and Power Jazz Bass Specials are MIJ. There was a passive one sold on eBay in the last week for £380, which I think is an excellent price. Especially when you consider that some of the MIJ Squiers can fetch half as much again for no particualr reason that I can see.[/quote]

I too much prefer 38mm but for me string spacing is also a concern. Im quite happy playing a 5 string (at least, the ones ive owned), yet cant get comfortable with a P neck.

Must be old age as i never used to care about all this.

Ive seen a few of those basses on eBay but just dont feel comfortable buying second hand away from Bass Chat.

I got a JV Squier P bass when they were first launched. Fantastic bass for the money. I got rid of it about 7 years ago for around £350 as a trade in for a HW-1 Jazz. I was told that the big deal is the neck, as its come from the Fender factory. I would say that with so many good cheap basses/necks out now the JV's shouldn't be selling for what they are (or at least what some greedy people expect to get)

[quote name='fingerz' post='1351202' date='Aug 25 2011, 12:05 PM']Ah! Well it felt much smaller than P basses usually do. STill not tight enough eh?! Still a great compromise, sounds great and plays fast and funky. Sorry for my ill informed ramblings! I'll get me coat![/quote]

The neck has the same specs as my CV P neck i believe so not totally unplayable. Ive been trying to get to grips with this neck for almost a year. Ive gigged with it and its a nice neck but i keep going back to the CV Jazz neck.
Those vintage frets do make it feel more playable to me and much better than the usual medium-jumbo frets.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='fingerz' post='1351203' date='Aug 25 2011, 12:06 PM']Yes those frets add to the very vintage feel when playing it.[/quote]

Indeed. The laklands (at least the ones ive owned) also have vintage style frets, this could be why a lot of people love the necks.

MY aerodyne seems to work quite well as a p bass, though bear in mind the pickup is slightly shifted to the neck.

It has a proper vintage jazz neck, 7.25" radius and vintage frets, very very comfortable. The rounder radius I find adds a natural feel.

Would require significant work to add a preamp as the cavity is very small.

One of the best precisions there is IMO is the G&L SB1. You dont see many these days, but here is one on EBay.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-L-SB-1-USA-Fullerton-Red-Clean-/290602972920?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a94976f8"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-L-SB-1-USA-Ful...=item43a94976f8[/url]

Some of the earlier SB1's had a precision neck. I enquired about this one and was told it was 1 1/2" at the nut. Check again if you are interested. While it is a passive bass, the split coil pup is [b]HOT[/b]

Edited by Coilte

When you say 'precision with jazz neck', do you mean just the nut width of 1.5" vs the standard P with 1.75" or are you looking for a much 'skinnier' profile overall?

Reason for asking is that I have a couple of vintage P basses with J type nut widths but neither is quite as slinky as a J from the same era.

A Duff Mckagan P-Bass has just popped up on [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Duff-Mckagan-Precision-Bass-Jazz-Bass-Special-/230665960369?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35b4c33bb1"]eBay[/url] here.