Why become a member? ×

New Red Hot Chili Peppers album

tredders

[quote name='ROConnell' post='1349157' date='Aug 23 2011, 04:46 PM']Ooh yay! Thanks for the heads up. :)[/quote]

Looking at your profile, we have pretty much identical musical tastes. You're in Cov and I used to live in Leamington, and you joined here on my birthday. You're not my secret son are you? :)

[quote name='dan2112' post='1349250' date='Aug 23 2011, 06:02 PM']I'm quite enjoying the album so far, the songs I've heard so far have a good feel and the bass tone is very nice. His jazz sounds very tasty :) And the new song sounds better in the context of the album i.m.o[/quote]

F**k me that bass sounds good. What is it, asides a jazz?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1351296' date='Aug 25 2011, 01:26 PM']F**k me that bass sounds good. What is it, asides a jazz?[/quote]
Not 100% sure, haven't really read into the album much. But I think the jazz will be coming out more often now :) The new Jamiroquai album rekindled my love for jazz tones too!

I agree. He sucked on a lot of these tunes, but I also thought the guitar was lacking, and the bass nothing like as imaginative as it has been before.

I wasn't able to finish listening to the album because the worst program in the world that is iTunes, crashed, as per usual. I didn't know where I was in the album so couldn't be bothered to find my place again, it was that uninspiring.

Meh! The bass tones are really nice, but the song content just seems like them going through the motions again. I hate the fact you don't seem to be able to pause the album and have to start from the beginning. Think I'm going to switch it off now I've had enough.

[quote name='ezbass' post='1352454' date='Aug 26 2011, 02:15 PM']Meh! The bass tones are really nice, but the song content just seems like them going through the motions again. I hate the fact you don't seem to be able to pause the album and have to start from the beginning. Think I'm going to switch it off now I've had enough.[/quote]

Press pause, not the little stop icon :)

I wonder if this album will be lopped of its highest and lowest frequencies, (ie: Dynamic range compresion ) to make it seem loder on a stereo or headphones, like the last few RHCP albums ?

see Loudness wars . [url="http://musicmachinery.com/2009/03/23/the-loudness-war/"]Here[/url] or[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war"] Here[/url].

PS: I have two copies of [i]Californication.[/i] One the released copy, the other the original album before they did the dirty deed to it. You can tell the difference even on a cheap stereo.

Edited by daz

I have listened to it now.

I'm listening to it again as I type.
I like it a bit better now... as long as I can remove myself from the notion that this is a RHCP album. It's a nice album if you ignore where it comes from.

I play in a RHCP tribute band, and we were a bit nervous about the new album after listening to The Adventures of Raindance Maggie and nearly losing the will to live.

I typed the following email to the band as I was listening to the album for the first time yesterday:

Listening to the new RHCP album right now
(available to stream, free, in iTunes)

Nearly 1 hour.

The first song I don't exactly dislike. It's much better than the Maggie Raindeath one... but, it's NOT an RHCP song... it's some kind of contemporary pop which is ok to have in teh background in a bar while having a beer or two with a group of friends...

:-/

sh*t.

2nd song... ooh, I like this. Still not RHCP, but I like it. Oh, we're so going to do this song :-p
But it's not RHCP.
Flea must be using a Jazz bass now, this sounds a lot like a Jazz.
I like it. But it could be "The Killers" instead of RHCP. I mean, it's NOT RHCP!

3rd song.
Oh dear. Not bad, but... zzzzzzzz

4th song.
INteresting... yet inofensive. Stadium Arcadium fare.
I miss JF's backing vocals and guitar.

5th song
I must say I like Flea's bass sound. If it's not a Jazz I'd be so very surprised... I thought he was supposed to be using his own "Fleabass", but this sounds so "Jazz".
Slow song. Not bad. But... let me see... nope, my nipples are still decidedly soft :-/

6th song
is this Donna Summer? Disco beat, disco guitar, claps... wtf?
ah no... here comes Kiedis.
I actually like this. But it's so not RHCP.
Ha ha ha, Andy is going to swear when he hears the guitar solo.
Bass is good, 'though.
It seems the rhythm section is in luck, but I pity the others.
Oh, interesting middle section.

So far, songs #2 and #6 are candidates fo live action. But I think we'll probably be safe if we continue expanding teh older repertoire.

7th song is braindead maggie... yawn.

8th song
who is this band?
I guess this is teh "african rhythm" they were talking about.
Oh, look, a trumpet!
How do you say boring in Swahili?

9th song
heavier guitar but... what a crap sound!
still, finally a fast&energetic one. I guess this one may, just may, appease Rich a bit... although it's still a bit too tame.
Ok, #2, #6, #9 will probably sound good live.
Guitar has tons of effects... Andy's M13 will have to work overtime.
Oh! a bass solo with a heavy phaser! Me likes. :)
Ah, problem... we need a piano now :-/
Ok, that was a short bit, easily skipped over or made up through atmospheric guitar effects. I'll see you around? I guess that must be the title. They repeat it a lot.
Nice guitar solo outro.

10th song
weird song... piano, voices, rhythm... blergh
hate it

11th song
slow acoustic start...
Hootie & The Blowfish anyone?
FFS, this is 90s coffee shop material!!!!
Crap. And way too long. Finish already! Die, die!!!

12th song
piano start...
zombie movie chords.
what???
Supertramp???
This is actually good. Nice wah guitar too. I must check this band out...
what? The RHCP? Get out of here! Do you take me for a fool?
Oh, wait... it.. is... RHCP...
confusion.

13th song
another slowish happy pretty ditty?
It's not a bad one, actually. Soem tasty guitar... pity about the guitar sound. And I don't really like the playing, but I like what he's trying to play.

14th song, last one...
atmospheric delay guitar
ah, a good bass... more african style something...
I swear I'm back in 1991.
Right, I'm not even going to wait for the chorus.

There are three songs I will definitely listen to, maybe another two that might sneak in my playlists. But thsi is teh WORST RHCP album by far, oh yes.

After this you will play Stadium Arcadium and think "man, this thing rawks!"

what a f***ing disappointment... so much waiting for... this???

I'm afraid that the RHCP are dead, I can't see this album having a good reception... :-(

Lighten up fellas! I've just had a skim through this, and quite liked it. Granted, RHCP aren't the band that we started out with, but neither are Metallica, the Rolling Stones, the Smashing Pumpkins, Take That, U2, The Who, R.E.M., Jamiroquai, Green Day, AC/DC etc... but you know what, people and bands change and evolve.

RHCP have obviously moved on from "Mother's Milk", but if that's your preferred "era" then why not just listen to that album or others like it?
We can't ( and shouldn't) expect musicians to live in a little plastic bubble and make the same album every three years or so, surely that's a bit too possessive?

Sorry to have a bit of a rant, but we have all developed as writers/players in the last 20 years, and we've probably all listened to our early stuff and thought "what were we thinking?" why should the Chillis be any different - they're just people, the same as us, trying to find an appropriate musical outlet through which to channel our experiences.

If you don't like it then vote with your wallet and don't buy it.

Why do we need a thread that pillories an album before it's even been released?

[quote name='paul_5' post='1353230' date='Aug 27 2011, 01:15 AM']Lighten up fellas! I've just had a skim through this, and quite liked it. Granted, RHCP aren't the band that we started out with, but neither are Metallica, the Rolling Stones, the Smashing Pumpkins, Take That, U2, The Who, R.E.M., Jamiroquai, Green Day, AC/DC etc... but you know what, people and bands change and evolve.[/quote]

I tend to agree, but not with bands like the ones you've mentioned. Evolution can't be such a good thing when all they seem do is become increasingly more and more standardised to fit a wider market (do they really need more money?), less and less interesting and ultimately uninspired...

Not having a dig, just my 2p :)

[quote name='paul_5' post='1353230' date='Aug 27 2011, 01:15 AM']Why do we need a thread that pillories an album before it's even been released?[/quote]

You *can* listen to it already. I have. Several times.

I'm (not really) sorry my opinions offend you. But they're mine.

You make a reasonable point: evolution. Fair enough. But I find this direction disappointing, others have expressed an opinion along the same lines. If it bothers you so much, you're going to have a heart attack soon!