Why become a member? ×

I've realised some important sh*t while I've been away from here ..

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1349742' date='Aug 24 2011, 12:07 AM']...
One massive lesson was a couple of weeks ago camping with a bunch of musicians including Sheema, the fabulous sitarist I'm working with. She taught me a sitar melody which has most of the notes on the off beat, the fifth is not played in the melody until it hits the on beat. It is without doubt the most beautiful fifth I've ever heard, it thrills me to the core when she plays it! The trick is to understand why, but a lot of it is in the very subtle articulation of each note, the dynamics. Your heart rate quickens when you get it. It's these questions that have always interested me, the theory is purely support for enabling expression. Theory is a language, but I'm fairly happy that my own language, despite its huge limitations, may be the key to my musical happiness.

If we approached being a human in the same way as many of us approach music, a bland exercise in technicality, we would not get much attention at the party.[/quote]

Tension and release.

There are far too many bland exercisers of technicality who understand what they're playing but not why.

It was :) that got me to buy the fretless Jazz (even though I could ill afford it!).

Best decision I made though.

The Rogue has been banished to my bedroom and I feel my playing ability has increased.

It took me a while to set up the Jazz to my liking but it is superb now.

I have a pair (fretted and fretless) cheap Jazz basses that I am happy with.

Practising every day makes me smile.

Job done.

[quote name='karlfer' post='1351758' date='Aug 25 2011, 01:04 PM']What's a brain :) ?[/quote]
It's those hard tips on the ends of shoelaces. I'm still searching for the perfect ones.

I'm in 100% agreement with the OP, I still enjoy collecting toys though. Just for fun. There's a few more colors I need, CAR, white and something with giant metalflake :)

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1352338' date='Aug 26 2011, 01:03 PM']I've realised that a lot of folk on here havent got a clue what they want/need,bass or amplification wise.The endless search for some kind of bass nirvana ? the holy grail of tone ? Theres more variation tone to be had in your fingers/hand position than in most basses eq's.[/quote]

Well there is certainly different variations in tone to be had from the 2. And also most basses are passive so :)

Most pro bassists that I meet have been playing the same bass for years and have no interest in new gear and none of them are on this or any other forum - they're too busy playing that same old bass.

I've bought and sold too many basses since joining BC and catching the GAS and yet I still prefer the bass I've been playing for the past 30 years.

And yet I'm still here and still tempted by so many beautiful basses.............. I hate you all.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1352707' date='Aug 26 2011, 04:46 PM']Most pro bassists that I meet have been playing the same bass for years and have no interest in new gear and none of them are on this or any other forum - they're too busy playing that same old bass.

I've bought and sold too many basses since joining BC and catching the GAS and yet I still prefer the bass I've been playing for the past 30 years.

And yet I'm still here and still tempted by so many beautiful basses.............. I hate you all.[/quote]

I wish I'd kept my Warwick :)

BC made me into a proper gear slut !

[quote name='51m0n' post='1352741' date='Aug 26 2011, 05:13 PM']I have one of the lowest gear turn over rates on the forum I think.

Still cr4p at playing bass too :)[/quote]
Stop being disingenuous!

Looking forward to hearing RD on the hifi tonight mate!

Have a lovely long weekend.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1352707' date='Aug 26 2011, 04:46 PM']Most pro bassists that I meet have been playing the same bass for years and have no interest in new gear and none of them are on this or any other forum - they're too busy playing that same old bass.[/quote]

I think it's fair to say that the best bassists are probably so because they don't waste their time on forums talking about basses or gawping at pictures of basses on shopping websites.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1352903' date='Aug 26 2011, 07:17 PM']JK- Just Kidding. Or some people think it means JoKing, same difference really. :)[/quote]
Ahh, right, I thought you might be implying you had posted with the with the wit of Jack Kerouac or something :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1352942' date='Aug 26 2011, 07:54 PM']Oh no, i don't even know who that is, let alone posses his calibre of wit :)[/quote]
Beat author.

"The only truth is music."
Jack Kerouac

"Obviously, that's bollocks though"
silddx

Edited by silddx

Good thread, and point well made. I think I came to the same conclusions a long while ago. I have my cheap SX Jazz, a newly acquired Squier Jaguar and a small yet powerful amp and a great band to play in. I have everything I need to make good music for a long time to come and I don't need anything else.

Learning to let go of things, in this case the desire of new objects (basses or amps), is very liberating if you can do it. I have been a lot happier since doings so.

I am slowly trying to convince myself that I have all the gear I need, because I do!

I'm an amateur bassist. I play purely for fun. I have two basses---a 4 and a 5. Both are good sounding, good playing instruments. Both of them have received very nice complements from professional bass players, so its not like the basses are in anyway lacking. I have a decent enough amp for my purposes. I'm not into effects on bass. I only really have time for 30 mins practice 4 or 5 times a week and a gig maybe once a month.

So why, why, why, do I keep catching myself in the classifieds? "ooh, that precision is pretty....", "ooh, marcus miller jazz...", "ooh, G&L..."

Its like a disease! :)

I also play guitar and I have finally stopped gassing on guitar stuff---so maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel for my bass gas too?

Edited by uncle psychosis

Eric Clapton was interviewed on the Formula 1 build up this afternoon.

"It might not rain today and that will make it a great day. I can't stand all that indescision. You know, the tyres and all that. It's a nightmare. (The DRS rear wing, the CURS and all that?) No, It's all in here init really? <makes steering motions> It's just like this <makes guitar playing motions> All the boxes on the floor with the guitar, with the amp. Don't matter. It's in 'ere! <Shows hands>. Isn't it? You know that. Well actually it's all in here <points to head>"

And that's from a legend who's been though some gear.

Yep - I am in the happy financial position to have some nice gear and to have wasted money on lots more. However, I would still only describe myself as barely competent player. Beyond having the basics to make yourself heard it's about enthusiasm and dedication (and finding the time) not gear.