Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds & Precision... why does it work so well?

mcnach

Today I was playing with the fretless Fender Precision that I bought a few months ago from AndyTravis here in BC... It still had the roundwounds he sent it to me with.
I liked the sound, and didn't want to "disturb" anything :), but recently it's been getting a bit "buzzy" on the higher notes, probably because of the weather... but I didn't want to mess with the truss rod, as it's on the body end (what a crap design, eh?)

I thought that it was a good excuse to change strings, and as the rounds it had were not a heavy gauge, probably anything I would put there would have higher tension. Then I remembered a set of Status Hotwires that I had in my drawer. Gauge 40-60-80-100. Light, but flats tend to have a bit more tension, it seems.

Changed strings.

Yup. They have a bit more tension, and the buzz is gone. And they sound amazing!!! What a RIGHTEOUS thump. Strong tight bottom. Yum.

I realised that of the 4 P-basses I have "in action", 3 have some kind of flats (nylon tapewounds, chromes, and these Status) and 1 has roundwounds... and it's my least favourite.
Flats just work. It's not a sound I would want for everything I play, but it is a fantastic sound, and Precision basses never really do it for me with roundwounds.

Tomorrow it's the turn of one of my OLPs, a fresh pack of D'Addario Chromes is waiting...

I love P-Basses with flatwounds. They don't work for everything but they just 'sit' so well in a mix, especially with more fundamental playing. I did have flats on my old P-Bass for a while and my band loved it, but I ended up restringing it with rounds because a lot of what we were doing just called for it a little more. But yes, I love the whole concept of it, you only have to listen to Pino Palladino, Willie Weeks and of course James Jamerson to understand why it's such a winning combination.

Let's hope it's a combo that's here to stay.
I first started using flats on a P about 10 years ago and back then they were quite hard to find and the choice was limited. I remember the disgust of other bass players if they ever took a shot of mine. :)

Those Hotwires are brilliant eh Jose?

I like the sound recorded and at low volumes as they sound nicely retro but live they don't seem to do the biz. They're La Bellas and they cost me £30 and I want to like them but my precision has much more definition with rounds when playing loud than flats. And sound engineers haven't got a clue what to do with them when my bass is DI'd and I usually get a muffled woolly sound because they don't add enough mid into the EQ.

But I will persevere.

Edited by gjones

I tried the set of LaBellas that work really well on my J on my P and it didn't do it for me - but the Chromes make it sound better than it ever has. I know it can be expensive, but if you can, I think it's worth trying different brands of flats because they do have different characteristics and some seem to suit some basses better than others (although what works with what is, of course, entirely subjective :) )

I've only very recently had my first experience with flats. My latest purchase, a 75 P bass is strung with them, don't know what make but they have a blue winding.

I love the smoothness and feel under the fingers, can't comment on the sound as I haven't gigged it yet.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1339415' date='Aug 14 2011, 10:54 AM']I've only very recently had my first experience with flats. My latest purchase, a 75 P bass is strung with them, don't know what make but they have a blue winding.

I love the smoothness and feel under the fingers, can't comment on the sound as I haven't gigged it yet.[/quote]
I have a feeling they might be Fenders (especially if they are quite high tension).
Checkout the Status Hotwires, they're a whole different kettle of fish and not too pricey.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1339424' date='Aug 14 2011, 11:01 AM']I have a feeling they might be Fenders (especially if they are quite high tension).
Checkout the Status Hotwires, they're a whole different kettle of fish and not too pricey.[/quote]

Thanks for the info Rich

I know exactly what you mean - I've always struggled with P basses and flats alike.

However it was only recently that I actually put the two properly together after spending some time with two P basses that arrived strung with flats.

They sound just great with the tone controls wound right back and my amp set reasonably flat (bearing in mind I usually have a mid-cut) :)

I've just swapped some strings around, LaBella's original 1954 oldies onto my '51 P Ri & GHS black nylons onto Frank Bello bass. The LaBella's which I thought would compliment the '51 actually feel a bit 'heavy' for it, the truss rod took almost a full turn of tightening, I was beginning to wonder if these Jap re-issues are as well built as the originals :) but it's settled down ok now.

The black nylons certainly look tasty on the black jazz & TBH are more suited to my more 'sweet' jazzy moments :)

By far the best flats I find are the GHS 3050 Precision Flats, 55 G up to 105 E, but lighter & slightly less tension than the LaBella's, to me they're 'just right' on my '57 AV.

I've picked up a MiM P-bass fitted with Ernie Balls roundwound & although I never stick with them, they have a novelty twangy sound that soon gets on my nerves & they have to go! More GHS strings on order :lol:

Cheerz, John

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1339233' date='Aug 14 2011, 12:09 AM']Let's hope it's a combo that's here to stay.
I first started using flats on a P about 10 years ago and back then they were quite hard to find and the choice was limited. I remember the disgust of other bass players if they ever took a shot of mine. :)

Those Hotwires are brilliant eh Jose?[/quote]

I have to admit they're good, and I got them after hearing you talk so well about them. You were not wrong.

I had also bought a set of "halfrounds", Hotwires too, and I felt like the EAD strings were substantially duller than the G string, as 'though they were much older. I contacted Status, but they pretty much ignored me. So I am no fan of them, based on my small experience, but the flats are good, I have to admit it. I think if I had to choose only one type of flats, it'd be the D'Addario Chromes. They are a bit "meatier". But the Hotwires I think suit the fretless better.