Why become a member? ×

Acid Jazz...

bassjamm

Hello all...

Guessing that many of you may not find delight in the wonderful music that is Acid Jazz, but I was hoping some of you may dig it and may be able to throw up a few suggestions.

I'm looking for some new music basically...

Any and all suggestions will be welcome. I may already have some of the CD's that you folks suggest, but it'd be grand to see what I'm missing.

If anyone's interested...Galactic - Coolin' Off...is an awesome album if I may say so!!!

Thanks in advance...

Jamie

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dad-Man-Cat-Corduroy/dp/B0000248E6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312845940&sr=8-4"]Corduroy - Dad Man Cat[/url]

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Useful-Tips-About-Living-Underground/dp/B0000074D9/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312846012&sr=1-1"]A Few Useful Tips About Living Underground - JTQ[/url]

Also check out Snowboy, although I don't have specific albums to recommend.

And here's a favourite of mine - fine bass playing too...

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1333004' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:00 AM']If anyone's interested...Galactic - Coolin' Off...is an awesome album if I may say so!!![/quote]
That is a great album...although I prefer 'Crazyhorse Mongoose'. I'd wouldn't really class Galactic as
Acid Jazz though-I'd say they were more of a Funk/Jam Band.

Although not specifically acid jazz there are a few more recent bands who are doing the retro funky jazz thing really well that you might try:

Lettuce
Speedometer
Haggis Horns
The Apples
Lack of Afro

And from back in the day you should check out Freakpower's 'Drive Thru Booty' if you haven't already.
A.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1333058' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:43 AM']It's a funny one, in that there is the label, with a very diverse range of styles, and there's the genre, which is along the jazzy pop lines of Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies, Gallianio etc.[/quote]

+1

It always seemed like a total misnomer to me. Jamiroquai sounds like funky pop...

Edited by Dubs

Out of all the Acid Jazz ive listened to over the years i still think James Taylor Quartet's 'In the Hand of the Inevitable' is the best album ive heard.. its def on the soul side of Acid Jazz though.. cant say i really dig the hardcore hammond organ acidjazz heard on other JTQ albums

Edited by bubinga5

Key artists

A Tribe Called Quest
Brand New Heavies
Brooklyn Funk Essentials
Corduroy
Count Basic
D*Note
Digable Planets
DJ Krush
Erik Truffaz
Erykah Badu
Funki Porcini
Gang Starr
Gilles Peterson
Groove Collective
Incognito
James Taylor Quartet
Jamiroquai
Jazzanova
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Liquid Soul
Ronny Jordan
Stereo MCs
St. Germain
Thievery Corporation
United Future Organization
Urban Species
US3
VASSY
Young Disciples

Azymuth
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie
Bird
Blazzaj
Blue Six
Bonobo
The Cat Empire
Clazziquai
Directions In Groove
DJ Cam
DJ Greyboy
Dodge City Productions
Dreamlin
Drizabone
D'Sound
DZihan & Kamien
Elektrotwist
Fat Freddy's Drop
Five Point Plan
Freak Power
Four 80 East
Greyboy Allstars
Gota Yashiki
Heavyshift
Jaga Jazzist
Jazzhole
Jazztronik
Jestofunk
Kanda, Kodža i Nebojša
Koop
Kyoto Jazz Massive
Liquid Soul
Luke Vibert [7]
Los Amigos Invisibles
Marius Kahan
Mark Farina
Medeski, Martin, and Wood
Melvin Sparks
Mojack
Moloko
Moodymann
Mondo Grosso
Monday Michiru
Mr. Scruff
Muki
Noel McKoy
Nicola Conte
Nujabes
Omar Lye-Fook
OutKast
Paolo Achenza Trio
Paul Moran
Phil Davis
Praful
Reuben Wilson
rad.
RJD2
Skalpel
Smoke City
Snowboy
Soulive
Swing Out Sister
S-Tone Inc.
The Cinematic Orchestra
Wax Tailor
Xploding Plastix

I think I have heard of 3 of these :)

For the record, the link between Jazz and Acid Jazz is pretty loose and the scenes are not linked up much at all. Medeski, Martin and Wood are pretty cool and Azimuth has a history but a lot of this stuff is not really on the radar of the average Jazzer.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1333665' date='Aug 9 2011, 03:01 PM']Key artists

A Tribe Called Quest
Brand New Heavies
Brooklyn Funk Essentials
Corduroy
Count Basic
D*Note
Digable Planets
DJ Krush
Erik Truffaz
Erykah Badu
Funki Porcini
Gang Starr
Gilles Peterson
Groove Collective
Incognito
James Taylor Quartet
Jamiroquai
Jazzanova
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Liquid Soul
Ronny Jordan
Stereo MCs
St. Germain
Thievery Corporation
Urban Species
US3
VASSY
Young Disciples

Azymuth
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie
Bird
Blazzaj
Blue Six
Bonobo
The Cat Empire
Clazziquai
Directions In Groove
DJ Cam
DJ Greyboy
Dodge City Productions
Dreamlin
Drizabone
D'Sound
DZihan & Kamien
Elektrotwist
Fat Freddy's Drop
Five Point Plan
Freak Power
Four 80 East
Greyboy Allstars
Gota Yashiki
Heavyshift
Jaga Jazzist
Jazzhole
Jazztronik
Jestofunk
Kanda, Kodža i Nebojša
Koop
Kyoto Jazz Massive
Liquid Soul
Luke Vibert [7]
Los Amigos Invisibles
Marius Kahan
Mark Farina
Melvin Sparks
Mojack
Moloko
Moodymann
Mondo Grosso
Monday Michiru
Mr. Scruff
Muki
Noel McKoy
Nicola Conte
Nujabes
Omar Lye-Fook
OutKast
Paolo Achenza Trio
Paul Moran
Phil Davis
Praful
Reuben Wilson
rad.
RJD2
Skalpel
Smoke City
Snowboy
Soulive
Swing Out Sister
S-Tone Inc.
The Cinematic Orchestra
Wax Tailor
Xploding Plastix

I think I have heard of 3 of these :)

For the record, the link between Jazz and Acid Jazz is pretty loose and the scenes are not linked up much at all. Medeski, Martin and Wood are pretty cool and Azimuth has a history but a lot of this stuff is not really on the radar of the average Jazzer.[/quote]

That's quite a list! Not heard Stereo MCs for ages. Fat Freddy's Drop are great. Bilbo, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on Snowboy, a latin jazz percussionist and def one of the jazzier ones on the label.

Is that the Wikapedia list? I'll admit there are a load that I've not heard of,but out of the ones I
do know there are a bunch that I wouldn't have thought were 'Acid Jazz'. I can go with bands
like Jamiroquai,Brand New Heavies and Incognito,but I'm not convinced with the inclusion of
MMW,Soulive,Outkast,Tribe Called Quest and various others.

This is all cracking stuff thanks chaps!

I've heard of most of the suggestions thus far, or got some of the CD's. I guess it's that groove based stuff I'm after. I'm not strictly saying it has to fit into the 'Acid Jazz' genre...but that sort of vibe.

The Soulive, Galactic, Liquid Sould stuff is awesome, and of course the Brand New Heavies, James Taylor Quartet etc. Big fan of the Erykah Badu stuff, and D'angelo although I guess it's more soulful, Neo-Soul I believe if we're being technical!

And... The Apples... they're awesome, they're touring this week people...if you've not seen them before, get to one of their gigs. They're one of my favourite live bands. I've seen them 3 times in the past few years now...better with each not played!

Thanks for all of the suggestions and keep them all coming folks!

Thanks
Jamie

Snowboy is a credible percussionist but what little I have heard of his records, its a bit repetitive - lots of two chord vamps, endless grooves on one chord etc. Ok but I don't find it that engaging. If anyone knows differnt, let me know.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1334002' date='Aug 9 2011, 07:04 PM']Snowboy is a credible percussionist but what little I have heard of his records, its a bit repetitive - lots of two chord vamps, endless grooves on one chord etc. Ok but I don't find it that engaging. If anyone knows differnt, let me know.[/quote]

Hehe...that's what I like about the genre :) it just grooves on and on :)

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1333951' date='Aug 9 2011, 06:37 PM']The Soulive, Galactic, Liquid Sould stuff is awesome, and of course the Brand New Heavies, James Taylor Quartet etc.[/quote]

I bought a Liquid Soul CD ("Here's the Deal") but it's not my thing. [s]Free to anyone who wants it[/s] gone

Also check out the [url="http://www.newmastersounds.com/index2.shtml"]New Mastersouds[/url]

Edited by Roland Rock

Older stuff (i.e. "jazzier" and from the late 60s onwards) like Grant Green, Jimmy Smith, Lonnie Smith, Boogaloo Joe Jones, Brother Jack McDuff etc also gets labelled as acid jazz sometimes. Lots of Hammond organ combos etc.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1333037' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:22 AM'][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dad-Man-Cat-Corduroy/dp/B0000248E6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312845940&sr=8-4"]Corduroy - Dad Man Cat[/url]

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Useful-Tips-About-Living-Underground/dp/B0000074D9/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312846012&sr=1-1"]A Few Useful Tips About Living Underground - JTQ[/url]

Also check out Snowboy, although I don't have specific albums to recommend.

And here's a favourite of mine - fine bass playing too...

[/quote]

+1 for Corduroy. I never realised how good Richard Searle was during his Dr & the Medics days.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1333665' date='Aug 9 2011, 03:01 PM']Key artists

A Tribe Called Quest
Brand New Heavies
Brooklyn Funk Essentials
Corduroy
Count Basic
D*Note
Digable Planets
DJ Krush
Erik Truffaz
Erykah Badu
Funki Porcini
Gang Starr
Gilles Peterson
Groove Collective
Incognito
James Taylor Quartet
Jamiroquai
Jazzanova
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Liquid Soul
Ronny Jordan
Stereo MCs
St. Germain
Thievery Corporation
Urban Species
US3
VASSY
Young Disciples

Azymuth
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie
Bird
Blazzaj
Blue Six
Bonobo
The Cat Empire
Clazziquai
Directions In Groove
DJ Cam
DJ Greyboy
Dodge City Productions
Dreamlin
Drizabone
D'Sound
DZihan & Kamien
Elektrotwist
Fat Freddy's Drop
Five Point Plan
Freak Power
Four 80 East
Greyboy Allstars
Gota Yashiki
Heavyshift
Jaga Jazzist
Jazzhole
Jazztronik
Jestofunk
Kanda, Kodža i Nebojša
Koop
Kyoto Jazz Massive
Liquid Soul
Luke Vibert [7]
Los Amigos Invisibles
Marius Kahan
Mark Farina
Melvin Sparks
Mojack
Moloko
Moodymann
Mondo Grosso
Monday Michiru
Mr. Scruff
Muki
Noel McKoy
Nicola Conte
Nujabes
Omar Lye-Fook
OutKast
Paolo Achenza Trio
Paul Moran
Phil Davis
Praful
Reuben Wilson
rad.
RJD2
Skalpel
Smoke City
Snowboy
Soulive
Swing Out Sister
S-Tone Inc.
The Cinematic Orchestra
Wax Tailor
Xploding Plastix[/quote]

Wow, a lot of these guys couldn't be further away from what is collectively known as acid-jazz, I don't know where you got the list from but it ain't really right! A Tribe Called Quest were a Brooklyn NYC hip-hop collective, Erykah Badu was part of the Neo-Soul/Soulquarian group of musicians also based mostly in New York, Bonobo is a recent electronic artist on the Ninja Tune label (which did have some acid jazz artists on it but Bonobo isn't one of them), The Cinematic Orchestra are Manchester based down tempo jazz, The Cat Empire are from Australia... etc! I could go on, and whilst a lot of the artists on the list may have influenced/been influenced by acid jazz as a genre, the list isn't indicative of artists usually associated with the movement.

[/pedantic]

[quote name='risingson' post='1338962' date='Aug 13 2011, 06:12 PM']Wow, a lot of these guys couldn't be further away from what is collectively known as acid-jazz, I don't know where you got the list from but it ain't really right! A Tribe Called Quest were a Brooklyn NYC hip-hop collective, Erykah Badu was part of the Neo-Soul/Soulquarian group of musicians also based mostly in New York, Bonobo is a recent electronic artist on the Ninja Tune label (which did have some acid jazz artists on it but Bonobo isn't one of them), The Cinematic Orchestra are Manchester based down tempo jazz, The Cat Empire are from Australia... etc! I could go on, and whilst a lot of the artists on the list may have influenced/been influenced by acid jazz as a genre, the list isn't indicative of artists usually associated with the movement.

[/pedantic][/quote]i think he was prob refering to music that was about at the time.. You got Asymuth and Kyoto Massiveright though :) ..