Why become a member? ×

Gone off gig bags for good.

Slipperydick

For the last year or so I've been using a gig bag. easier to carry, get in and out of the car etc.

Just picked up my old P bitsa, and found one of the tuners a bit stiff, on account of it being cracked and the shaft slightly bent.

Just wondered if anybody on here recognises the type/make. I can remember seeing a lot of them around years ago. They were really good, nice and smooth and it never went out of tune. I'd rather replace it with the same if I can find some.

Not sure what the metal is, wonder if I could get it brazed.

[attachment=86465:Image027.jpg] [attachment=86466:Image02p.JPG]

Edited by Slipperydick

I'd be surprised if that was an accident in the gig bag that did that. Had that been cracked while carrying the bag I'd expect the wood to have been damaged and the key to be bent. And it would be unusual for only the third tuner to be caught.

Don't write off gig bags just yet.

Edited by lanark

if you have access to a vice or clamps or similar tools you could try a home repair by removing the whole machine from the head and glueing the two pieces back together using a two pack epoxy resin metal glue - some of the epoxy glues are extremley strong and should hold this ok if you get a good alignment and glue fill

[quote name='lanark' post='1330981' date='Aug 7 2011, 03:16 PM']I'd be surprised if that was an accident in the gig bag that did that. Had that been cracked while carrying the bag I'd expect the wood to have been damaged and the key to be bent. And it would be unusual for only the third tuner to be caught.

Don't write off gig bags just yet.[/quote]

I gigged it 3 weeks ago and it aint been out of the bag since. And the shaft is bent.

If I'd had it in the hard case it would have been protected from whatever its been bashed aginst wouldnt it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate, now.. I just did a review of a Mono M80.
I still haven't managed to add pictures to my thread yet as i'm taking them today/tomorrow, maybe even later in the week, but take a look anyways.

I give a MASSIVE review of it, which should hopefully sell you the case even without pictures!
[url="http://andygbass.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/mono-m80/"]http://andygbass.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/mono-m80/[/url]

I wasn't going to link anyone this site yet, as I literally just made it.. There is only 2 reviews up at the moment, but you'r a fellow chatter in need so there you go!

For now, though, heres a link to it on their site aswell for the images. Its basically a soft hard case!
[url="http://www.monocase.com/mono-bass-guitar.asp"]http://www.monocase.com/mono-bass-guitar.asp[/url]

Edited by civictiger

[quote name='BottomE' post='1342049' date='Aug 16 2011, 04:15 PM']I don't understand why after spending a £1000 on a bass it is put in a sh*tty little cloth bag.[/quote]

That's why you should buy a good one from someone like iGig,Mono,Reunion Blues or whoever.
I use a gig bag all the time-I never bother with hardcases.

I have used bags for 25 years on my Wal - it has fallen sideways, forwards, backwards, been left unattended on the road in a car park (for 45 minutes minimum) and been banged, wedged, stood on and spilt over. My bass is still in full working order although the pots are a bit scratched - serious mojo! Its a bass not a rare antique. Its gonna get bished and boshed. But that's all superficial. Hardcases are a pain.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1342059' date='Aug 16 2011, 04:21 PM']I have used bags for 25 years on my Wal - it has fallen sideways, forwards, backwards, been left unattended on the road in a car park (for 45 minutes minimum) and been banged, wedged, stood on and spilt over. My bass is still in full working order although the pots are a bit scratched - serious mojo! Its a bass not a rare antique. Its gonna get bished and boshed. But that's all superficial. Hardcases are a pain.[/quote]
Why are hard cases a pain? I am missing something here. I don't use public transport or ride a bike which is about the only reason i can think of ever contemplating using a gig bag.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1342063' date='Aug 16 2011, 04:25 PM']Why are hard cases a pain? I am missing something here. I don't use public transport or ride a bike which is about the only reason i can think of ever contemplating using a gig bag.[/quote]
They're an extra trip to the car.They're often a pain to load unless you drop your seats. They're a git to carry if you
have to walk any distance.
A good gig bag,for me,is way better and you can just sling it over your shoulder and take it with you easily.

Hard cases are a pain just on account of the size, OK your using a van, or if your back seat is empty you can use that, but otherwise they don’t fit in anywhere. Having said that, I always usd one till recently.

Nothing to do with protection from scrathes etc. In this case, within reason I don’t care much, the bass in question is for playing, not for polishing and is not just roadworn. Battered would be a better description.

Sorted the busted tuner now, thanks to Bass Doc. Really helpful guy.

Wasn't there a thread about a month ago discussing exactly this?

EDIT: 2 months ago - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=140854&hl=hard+case"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=hard+case[/url]

Edited by Dubs

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1331605' date='Aug 8 2011, 01:05 AM']....If I'd had it in the hard case it would have been protected from whatever its been bashed aginst wouldnt it....[/quote]
I treat my bass in a gig bag as I would treat it if it [i]wasn't[/i] in a gig bag.

Don't bash your bass against anything and you'll be ok!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1342075' date='Aug 16 2011, 04:33 PM']They're an extra trip to the car.They're often a pain to load unless you drop your seats. They're a git to carry if you
have to walk any distance.
A good gig bag,for me,is way better and you can just sling it over your shoulder and take it with you easily.[/quote]
Maybe you hit it on the head. I can't think of any gigs that i do where the weight of the bass in the case is prohibitive. All my hard cases fit in my normal sized car along the back seats in the footwell. Each to their own.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1342159' date='Aug 16 2011, 05:29 PM']Maybe you hit it on the head. I can't think of any gigs that i do where the weight of the bass in the case is prohibitive. All my hard cases fit in my normal sized car along the back seats in the footwell. Each to their own.[/quote]

So what are we talking about here is their a gap in the market for a hard case thats more solid in construction and therefor thinner than your standard hard case and fits your base like a glove but with the addition of a shoulder slind to allow you to sling it over your shoulder !

I musrt admit having recently swapped from lead to bass that my acoustic solid case is a pain on account of only being able to carry it via the handle and my P base is sticking out the top of my old gig bag but is so much easier to move around

slim but solid with a sling sorted

[quote name='johnnyacoustic1' post='1346792' date='Aug 20 2011, 10:52 PM']So what are we talking about here is their a gap in the market for a hard case thats more solid in construction and therefor thinner than your standard hard case and fits your base like a glove but with the addition of a shoulder slind to allow you to sling it over your shoulder !

I musrt admit having recently swapped from lead to bass that my acoustic solid case is a pain on account of only being able to carry it via the handle and my P base is sticking out the top of my old gig bag but is so much easier to move around

slim but solid with a sling sorted[/quote]
I've seen these things on the net that are a kind of halfway house. They are foam cases - with a shoulder strap. It looks like a hard case in shape but is made of lightweight but durable foam and has a nylon type bad that goes around it for carrying. Looks a bit of a faff to me.

I have just won a couple of cases off of ebay. One being a "soft" case - the other a Warwick Rock Case. The soft case is a well known make and retails at about £80 so i am hoping that it is as good as some have suggested. I think an issue for me is that i cannot leave a soft case lying around the house with 2 young kids and a dog. My basses are permanently stored in their cases.

[quote name='johnnyacoustic1' post='1346792' date='Aug 20 2011, 10:52 PM']I musrt admit having recently swapped from lead to bass that my acoustic solid case is a pain on account of only being able to carry it via the handle and my P base is sticking out the top of my old gig bag but is so much easier to move around[/quote]

I have a Tribal Planet semi-rigid gigbag for my acoustic which is really light with backpack style straps. Dead easy to carry and was pretty cheap too.