Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Problems- Can't hear it!!

Old Horse Murphy

Played a gig on Wednesday night and took along my 75 Precision and the ubiquitous Stingray. All of this is played through my Littlemark Head (a channel for each bass) and a Schroeder 21012L.

Everything started off fine with the Stingray and as the night wore on, I started to use the P Bass, which has a SD Quarterpounder installed

After a couple of songs, it actually dawned on me that I couldn't hear the P bass at all despite having the amp/cab set up the way it normally is.

Try as I might, it just wouldn't cut through to me. I switched back to the Stingray and all was fine.

Anyway, talking to the guys later no (and people in the audience) the bass was cutting through really well and in fact people thought the P sounded better than the Stingray (less bitey and trebly).

After a few days of mulling it over, I went and saw an ear doctor this morning who basically said that due to my cauliflower ears, one too many knocks to the head and generally playing loudly, my hearing was impaired to such an extent that I cannot discern the thuddy sound of the P bass through the rest of the noise.

Needless to say, I'm a little bit uspet and at a loss what to do.

I'm going to try and fit a Wizard Thumper to see if that makes any difference, but failing that, I'm unsure what's best to do. Do I get rid of the P Bass and get something more trebly like a Jazz or do I go for in ear monitoring or something similar?

I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar or has any suggestions at all.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Only a suggestion, (I've never been brave enough to have a hearing test..) but a more traditional P bass pickup will give you more mids and clarity. The Sd QP is all about top and bottom, and this can easily get lost on stage.

I'd also recommend the Docs Pro plugs earplugs (usually marketed at drummers). They attenuate volume (esp top end) but you can still hear a lot of what is going on around you. If you put them in well before you play you don't really notice them, if you always use them.

BB

And for you BC'ers who've asked to see the cause of all my woe, here it is...

I dub thee "Heartbreaker".

1975 Precision in a transparent Mocha finish. 100% original apart from the pickup (the original is in a drawer somewhere and may make a reappearance soon).

Quite unusual and one that brings all the bass players up from the audience "Hey Pal can I have a look at that old Precision of yours..."

Possibly the nicest bass I've ever played (when I can hear it). Can't remember what dimension neck it is, but it's a beauty.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='153060' date='Mar 7 2008, 01:55 PM']And for you BC'ers who've asked to see the cause of all my woe, here it is...

I dub thee "Heartbreaker".

1975 Precision in a transparent Mocha finish. 100% original apart from the pickup (the original is in a drawer somewhere and may make a reappearance soon).

Quite unusual and one that brings all the bass players up from the audience "Hey Pal can I have a look at that old Precision of yours..."

Possibly the nicest bass I've ever played (when I can hear it). Can't remember what dimension neck it is, but it's a beauty.[/quote]

Nice. anytime you want to part with it. let me know. :). and sorry to read of your problem.

Edited by beerdragon

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='153065' date='Mar 7 2008, 02:04 PM']I LOVE Mocha.[/quote]

Me too. Funny though, when I've seen a Strat or Tele in this colour, it does nothing for me. I guess the finish on this is so transparent though and you can see the grain so clearly that it looks amazing.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Holy cow!

I was about to post something about in-ear monitors but after seeing the pics of your bass, the problem is obvious: You need to get rid of that P ASAP! I´ll take it off you anytime, no problem. :)

No really, cheapest option for now would be to try the original pickup and see if it helps any. Good luck!

funny tho I had same experience when gigged my P . cuts badly on stage but when I listened recording - it sits better than any other bass I had. that's damn of P bass,I guess hahaha! BTW, love your mocha, but with maple neck would be better. I like Ps with maple,yes...

Hey Murphy, sorry to hear about the predicament. Have you have a look at the ear plugs sticky? there's a lot of info there about great ear plugs and in ear monitoring.

Should you pop a new pup in you gorgeous P bass, I maybe interested in having that SD quarter pounder off you, to help subsidise the new pup.

Dan

[quote name='dood' post='153227' date='Mar 7 2008, 04:53 PM']Hey Murphy, sorry to hear about the predicament. Have you have a look at the ear plugs sticky? there's a lot of info there about great ear plugs and in ear monitoring.

Should you pop a new pup in you gorgeous P bass, I maybe interested in having that SD quarter pounder off you, to help subsidise the new pup.

Dan[/quote]

No worries Dan

I've got a Wizard at home somewhere so I'll try and put that in tonight and see how I get on. We've got a rehearsal tomorrow in a hall so I should have a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='153101' date='Mar 7 2008, 02:48 PM']Just thinking about it, I'm not sure this is in the right Forum. Is it a Bass Guitar issue or a playing live issue?

I just don't know....hmmm[/quote]

OHM, how 'bout I leave it here to pick up some ideas them move it to Laying to see if you pick up more....

Win win eh?

:)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='153278' date='Mar 7 2008, 05:59 PM']OHM, how 'bout I leave it here to pick up some ideas them move it to Laying to see if you pick up more....

Win win eh?

;)[/quote]

We have a thread on Laying? :) Damn! How did I miss that? :huh:

OHM
That's rather nasty problem .. Have you decided on a PUP for your P5 yet? Might be worth talking to Jon about it.
Meanwhile try earplugs, mate ..
You'll find you can hear all sorts of things better once you get used to them and you can use them when you are an audient too. Don't think you can do that with IEM lugplugs.

Its sad to hear when something like this happens especially to muscians, If this story doesn't encourage your to think about ear protection with at least sleeping ear pieces you shouldn't be allowed to have ears...ok extreme.

[quote name='E_MaN' post='153297' date='Mar 7 2008, 06:37 PM']Its sad to hear when something like this happens especially to muscians, If this story doesn't encourage your to think about ear protection with at least sleeping ear pieces you shouldn't be allowed to have ears...ok extreme.[/quote]
Totally agree but I think most of the damage was done through too many knocks to the head rather than excessive noise. Over the last few years I've been very careful about hearing protection while gigging. I've not used the best plugs going, but I've always used something.

The moral? Don't play in the Front Row EVER

[quote name='OldGit' post='153284' date='Mar 7 2008, 06:20 PM']We have a thread on Laying? :) Damn! How did I miss that? :huh:

OHM
That's rather nasty problem .. Have you decided on a PUP for your P5 yet? Might be worth talking to Jon about it.
Meanwhile try earplugs, mate ..
You'll find you can hear all sorts of things better once you get used to them and you can use them when you are an audient too. Don't think you can do that with IEM lugplugs.[/quote]
I think i'm going to go Active Si. Either that or 2 J PUP's.

I've fitted the Thumper now and given it a run out. It's a bit better but hmmmm, not sure...

Nick, I find the same thing - think it's a venue and band overall loudness thing tho. At jams I tend to take the Thumb because I can dial in more treble and hear meself above the cymbals which seem to want to become part of my head. At less 'muddy' venues I find the P just fine. The audience tho always love the sound of the P so it must project well.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='153270' date='Mar 7 2008, 05:52 PM']Well with 2 channels on the LittleMark have you tried boosting the mids/upper mids on the P bass. You might not like the sound as much but you should hear it better.

Defo get some ear plugs and you might have to pony up for the moulded jobs given your caullies.[/quote]

I've tried boosting the mid/upper mids on the P Bass Channel (God I love the 2 channel Littlemark) It does help a bit but I still lose the sound.