Why become a member? ×

Change of direction

Blademan_98

Nope, always liked and played everything I can get my ears/fingers around
Started out playing classical piano, went on to guitar (metal/folk/classical/blue/rock/prog/rockandorroll) and picked up a bass to help out with other bits, and still finding new and exciting music to play now, and I'm only 34... :)
Have also branched into Banjos and mandolins, and cello tuned guitars, and mandola tuned thingys and other stuff

I started out on the U2/Simple Minds/Fleetwood Mac/The Cure genres, went to rock (Guns n Roses, Metallica, Skid Row, etc), then house & breakbeat (many funky basslines there), listening to things like Jamiroquai & Stevie Wonder & some hiphop along the way, went onto add jazz, DnB & now Dubstep.
My bands have kinda followed that theme too.
Lojo, I never really got into country/Americana but my current band's main styles is just that.
We're a mix of folk/Americana/jazz/blues & whatever else sounds good with a 50 year old Canadian vocalist, banjo, mandolin, spoons (or any other percussion), tin whistle, acoustic guitar & a bit of bass (though my bass sound is getting further & further away from the straight bass sound you'd associate with those styles.

Nowadays I enjoy playing anything with a good bass line. :)

My own musical meanderings would be...

Rock/Metal > Acid House & Electro > Techno > Hip Hop & DnB/Dub > JEDWARD!!! [kidding]

...via some genre-bending oddities like Half Man Half Biscuit, Mercury Rev, Butthole Surfers, NoMeansNo, etc.

Currently my tastes span just about all of the above, with classical and jazz increasingly creeping into my playlists.

So I'm quite happily eclectic :)

When I was a kid, I was a Christian, then I became a Marxist, then an Anarchist... There is something in the change of believes and the change of tastes in music. Unless you die at 27, you'll probably end up accepting that nobody knows the full truth. We all start up considering ourselves progressive while being really really conservative in our "I am young and I like hard music" approach, as we grow older we tend to find these classifications less important altogether. Tastes and moods change with time, but I always knew there is boring stuff in any genre and great stuff in any genre too.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1318211' date='Jul 27 2011, 01:17 PM']I've recently gone from being the bassist in a Pagan heavy rock band to playing melodeon for a morris side. Do I win a prize? :)[/quote]
We do indeed have a winner!

[quote name='janmaat' post='1318216' date='Jul 27 2011, 01:19 PM']When I was a kid, I was a Christian, then I became a Marxist, then an Anarchist... There is something in the change of believes and the change of tastes in music. Unless you die at 27, you'll probably end up accepting that nobody knows the full truth. We all start up considering ourselves progressive while being really really conservative in our "I am young and I like hard music" approach, as we grow older we tend to find these classifications less important altogether. Tastes and moods change with time, but I always knew there is boring stuff in any genre and great stuff in any genre too.[/quote]

+1

Yep. In my originals bands I moved from:
Garage Rock (Stooges/MC5 style) evolved into
Hard Rock
Punk'n'Roll (Misfits/Ramones style)
Metal Core

In covers I've done everything from light pop to modern metal (Alice In Chains, System Of A Down) but no real direction to that, just trying different things. And I'll play owt if I'm being paid to dep!

Edited by Adrenochrome

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1318211' date='Jul 27 2011, 01:17 PM']I've recently gone from being the bassist in a Pagan heavy rock band to playing melodeon for a morris side. Do I win a prize? :)[/quote]

As long as your Morris side keep away from me you can have anything you like EB :)
(I've been worried I might find I enjoy it, so I'm keeping my distance, as it could only end in divorce)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1318323' date='Jul 27 2011, 02:51 PM']As long as your Morris side keep away from me you can have anything you like EB :)
(I've been worried I might find I enjoy it, so I'm keeping my distance, as it could only end in divorce)[/quote]

We're a mixed team - you could both join! :)

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1318242' date='Jul 27 2011, 01:36 PM']Yep. In my originals bands I moved from:
Garage Rock (Stooges/MC5 style) evolved into
Hard Rock
Punk'n'Roll (Misfits/Ramones style)
Metal Core

In covers I've done everything from light pop to modern metal (Alice In Chains, System Of A Down) but no real direction to that, just trying different things. And I'll play owt if I'm being paid to dep![/quote]
Sounds like you've done everything from Rock to Rock :)

Guest subaudio

I've changed direction many times, as my ears saw fit, as long as your growing and developing, or just feeling good about what you play it's all good in my book, I'm into music, not genres.

[quote name='subaudio' post='1318828' date='Jul 27 2011, 11:07 PM']I've changed direction many times, as my ears saw fit, as long as your growing and developing, or just feeling good about what you play it's all good in my book, I'm into music, not genres.[/quote]

I like this :)

Good way of looking at music.