Why become a member? ×

possible new bass amp

nomis

i really dont know what to do! i want something thats going to give me a bit more portability but also could be a mega rig if needed,

at the moment i have an orange AD200mk3 and a fender 8x10,

i love the sound of it but forthe soze of a lot of the gigs im doing at the moment its just not very practical, and dragging an 8x10 to practices all the time is startingto do my head in! (after the 5 years i have had it!)

the thing is i have a lot of festival work on at the moment and its cool for that but i also am doing a lot of smaller venues where its just not practical to mic it up so im having to use a small pre amp box thing to chuck it into the pa (may aswel not have the amp there!)

so i have been looking at getting a smaller amp and a couple of smaller cabs so i can take a smaller one to practices and then for bigger gigs take a couple of cabs,

SO i am thinking about biting the bullet and getting one of these ''small but powerful'' tranny amps that everyone seems to rave about

i have been looking at maybe getting a bass terror and a couple of 115's (maybe keep a bit of the ad200 tone in there)

also looked at a TC rig, maybe a RH450 two 210's and/or a 212? which would be cool for small practices and then festival stages. (i think?)

how do they stack up? i play rock music

also looked at maybe an aggie or a markbass but can only find review of people fret w**king and slapping the crap out of the bass so i dont really think they would be good for me

help me i think my mind is melting...

Orange Bass Terror is a good little amp, and if you like the Orange sound, well this could well be the solution. Bit limited on the eq, not much variation in the sound. I wasn`t too keen on the Orange Isobaric cabs tho, although very loud, the 210 I used didn`t seem to have much depth. The Orange OBC cabs, from what I`ve read sound good, but are a tad weighty.

TC Classic 450 - great amp, very versatile. Plenty loud enough - I used mine through a Marshall 412, Ampeg 410 & 210, and an Eden Nemesis 410. Haven`t tried any TC cabs tho.

I`ve currentlly got an Ampeg PF-500. Rather than write my obvious love for this amp again, I`ve done a review of it here on Basschat. If you like rock music Ampeg has to be worth a look/listen.

Lastly, cab-wise. If looking for a lightweight solution, check out Barefaced cabs. Again it`s the old "recommend what I`ve got" gear, but as I`ve only just bought mine, I can`t really be recommending these from my own use, only from what I`ve read on here - which prompted me to buy one.

[quote name='nomis' post='1317356' date='Jul 26 2011, 05:26 PM']you play the TC through all them cabs at once? massive![/quote]

No, sorry to disappoint. The only pairing I did was with the two Ampegs - which was probably the best the TC sounded, imo.

What a serioulsy massive sound that would have been though, through all those cabs at once - not to mention the extra sizzle of the amp frying as well.

From the money you'd get for selling the AD200, you'd have enough to buy this:

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=11072013552688b6"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_de...1072013552688b6[/url]

Tastes good...

I swear by markass heads. You can usually pick up a LM2 for about £300 off here and they are fantastic. don't be put off by the w***y videos... They annoy me too! They're very clean, bags of low end and warmth. And the VLE/VPF filters mean you can get pretty much any sound you want. If you want any dirt you will need to get a pedal, but honestly I did without dirt in all manners of rock and metal for ages because my rig sounds so good :)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1317927' date='Jul 27 2011, 08:39 AM']From the money you'd get for selling the AD200, you'd have enough to buy this:

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=11072013552688b6"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_de...1072013552688b6[/url]

Tastes good...[/quote]

And wow that's a bloody good deal!

I borrowed a guy's AD200Bmk3/OBC115/OBC410 stack at a gig the other month, and whilst it was nice, it wasn't doing anything that my Terror Bass can't. You'd perhaps tell the difference in the studio, but live at gig-volume, I honestly couldn't. Maybe there's more of a difference between the two when you start really pushing the gain, but I keep it fairly clean so wouldn't be able to say.

From the sound of your OP, I'd say get a try of the Orange & see if it gives the sound you're after. I like the Markbass amps as it does clean very well & when I want dirty I use pedals (which is a good amount of the time).

Cab wise, I'd say go for 2 2x10s or 2 2x12s. You can stack these vertically to get the height of the 8x10 & your back will thank you for it (so will your ears).
See if you can find a shop with a good selection of gear & get testing (or you could buy 2nd hand on here & sell/swap if you don't like things).

If you want a monstrous rig without the hassle I'd look at 2x12 cabs. I use a GK MB fusion head and two neo212 cabs for most of my gigs and it never struggles and we play some decent sized venues. I can carry my full stack and 2 basses in two trips too (I could technically do it in one, but carrying a cab in each hand with two basses on my back is far from convenient) which is handy.

I would maybe look at changing cabinets before amps, expecially if you really like the sound of the amp. For an all valve amp, the Orange is fairly light, its not exactly an SVT Classic or Marshall VBA 400 for all out weight. If you are set on changing amps altogether for something lighter though, you can't really go wrong with TC Electronics, MarkBass or the Terror Bass.

Maybe you could pick up a couple of 4x10s, 2x12s or 1x15s? Then you can have a full all-valve 8x10 set up when you want, and a more compact, dare I say more practical set up for rehearsals and smaller gigs etc. As said earlier having 2x12s would be even lighter and would still provide a great sound.

[quote name='nomis' post='1319430' date='Jul 28 2011, 03:48 PM']putting an attenuator is just more stuff to have really...

was wanting to simplify things, what is the xlr out on the TC stuff like?[/quote]

The TC DI out is the bomb. Very high quality. Ive used the amp straight into a PA desk for a rehearsal and it made a massive difference.

I've got an RH450 and Barefaced Super Twelve.. It's light and it's loud...... If you were closer you'd be welcome to come and try it...

[quote name='nomis' post='1319445' date='Jul 28 2011, 04:05 PM']thanks mate, will have a look at a TC too what are the new ampeg portaflex's like?[/quote]

just been for a try of a bass terror in my local shop (steven james guitars if youre ever in the boro ge see him!) and its pretty nice like!

only problem is i only god to play through a sp212

gonna try out an RH450 tomorow

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm