Why become a member? ×

Question for those who know about flatwound strings

Linus27

I bought my first set of flatwound strings over the weekend for my Precision after playing rounds for 23 years. My choice was limited but I ended up buying a set of Rotosounds RS77LD guage 45 - 105. First thing I noticed was how chunky the strings felt. I now think that this is because of the tension which is a lot tighter than my Elite rounds.

So, for those in the know, are there any flats which have a much looser tension, closer to a set of rounds and if so, which ones?

That would be TI jazz flats...lowest tension you can get. Rotosounds are probably some of the highest tension/stiffest feeling flats there are.

If you want to try some in the middle there are sadwoskys, ernie balls, chromes...the list goes on but at the extreme end of the range are:

TI's - very low tension
Rotos/ Labella Jameson set - very high tension.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1315508' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:49 AM']Ive tried TIs (AWESOME) and EB Groups IIIs (worth every penny).

The TIs are very flexible whereas the Group IIIs are more 'inbetween' medium tension,[/quote]

Would you say the TI's are more flexible than rounds or about the same?

I'd say about the same. If you wasn't down the other end of the country I'd let you try my bass to see if they suited you (unless you want to pop up to Perth for a cuppa?).

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Linus27' post='1315498' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:39 AM']Thanks guys, really usefull. I have heard good things about sadwoskys flats so may give them a try.[/quote]
To date I've tried these flats; Sadowskys, Chromes, TI's, Roto's, Pyramid, Lakland JO, Picato, Status Hot wires, D'addario Nylons, Roto Trubass.

The sadowsky strings are very good, and contrary to what I've read, mine mellowed considerably and have found a permanent place on my fretless.

I actually bought another pack of sadowsky flats (which are now out of stock again) whilst over there with the intention of putting them on my decade...but I might try some Chromes on it first as they have that really dry unique sound that might work well with a decade.

I was about to sell off a few of the sets I've been trying out..send me a PM if you fancy experimenting.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1315520' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:53 AM']I'd say about the same. If you wasn't down the other end of the country I'd let you try my bass to see if they suited you (unless you want to pop up to Perth for a cuppa?).[/quote]

Hehe thank you, a trip to Scotland would be wonderful, especially as I could stock up on some whisky that my wife keeps drinking but perhaps a little extreme to try some flats out :)

[quote name='Legion' post='1315529' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:02 AM']To date I've tried these flats; Sadowskys, Chromes, TI's, Roto's, Pyramid, Lakland JO, Picato, Status Hot wires, D'addario Nylons, Roto Trubass.

The sadowsky strings are very good, and contrary to what I've read, mine mellowed considerably and have found a permanent place on my fretless.

I actually bought another pack of sadowsky flats (which are now out of stock again) whilst over there with the intention of putting them on my decade...but I might try some Chromes on it first as they have that really dry unique sound that might work well with a decade.

I was about to sell off a few of the sets I've been trying out..send me a PM if you fancy experimenting.[/quote]

Thank you. What gauge are the Sadwoskys and I take it these are the Black Label Flatwounds? I am interested as the Roto's are too tight but let me have a proper play of them first to see if I like flats and if yes then i'll be in touch. Cheers.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1315537' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:08 AM']Thank you. What gauge are the Sadwoskys and I take it these are the Black Label Flatwounds? I am interested as the Roto's are too tight but let me have a proper play of them first to see if I like flats and if yes then i'll be in touch. Cheers.[/quote]
The sadowskys are medium gauge 45-105 (black label flats as you say). There is only a light and medium with sadowskys.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1315511' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:50 AM']Would you say the TI's are more flexible than rounds or about the same?[/quote]
I would definitely say TI's are more flexible than rounds - they are incredibly low tension. I love them, but they definitely feel quite different.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1315511' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:50 AM']Would you say the TI's are more flexible than rounds or about the same?[/quote]

Id say they are flexible like a very light gauge of rounds. Very easy strings to use.

Edited by Musicman20

Status Hotwire half-rounds are really nice, and thats coming from a long-time TI user. To all intents and purposes they feel like low/medium tension flats but I think they have a bit more 'bite' and fractionally more under-finger friction. They are also cheaper than most of the strings mentioned above, including TIs ... which is nice

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1315746' date='Jul 25 2011, 02:07 PM']After alot of trying and testing (not a cheap experiment!), I've found that lower guage LaBellas do the job for me. They don't go dead as quickly as alot of others (Status, for example) too.[/quote]

I've just put some LaBellas on my P, don't like the sound right now, can't wait for them to go dead! TI's are my favourite at the though.

[quote name='Legion' post='1315529' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:02 AM']To date I've tried these flats; Sadowskys, Chromes, TI's, Roto's, Pyramid, Lakland JO, Picato, Status Hot wires, D'addario Nylons, Roto Trubass.

I was about to sell off a few of the sets I've been trying out..send me a PM if you fancy experimenting.[/quote]

Hi, I've just read your post about flats. So far I've tried Rotos and Ernie Balls, and they're [i]OK[/i] but nothing special. Do you have any chromes I could buy from you and try? My preferred gauge is .45, but I'm not really that fussy.

I'm playing through Ampeg gear, and might need a little more 'zing' to cut through the wooliness a bit. I'm quite happy to take advice on this matter - if you don't think that chromes would do it then by all means suggest something that you reckon would fit the bill.

Cheers, Paul.