Why become a member? ×

Wizards in a Fortress

Muzz

OK, so I picked up a Fortress on here a while back, and after some initial hand-wringing about aesthetics, it's become the first thing I pick up to play, certainly at home. Had a shock at the first gig, tho, when I put down my Wizarded P-Bass bitsa, picked up the Fortress, and wondered where the volume went...

A bit of pondering later, and I decided to put another set of Wizard P/J Big (Thumper and 84) pups in the Fortress. Win - best decision I've made in a while. It sounds just what I was after, very like the P.

Which made me think: OK, there are some tonal differences between the two basses, but I'd say 10-15% at most, and certainly in a live environment this would decrease. One is a big Ash-bodied, maple necked, maple boarded bass, with a corian nut and Schaller bridge, and the other is a much smaller, maple-bodied, wenge-necked bass with a brass nut and a two-piece bridge. The only similarities are the pickups are the same, as is their position (near as dammit) in relation to the bridge. Even the pots are different - 3 on the PJ, 4 on the Warwick.

Just goes to show what the biggest tonal influence on a bass is. I certainly won't sweat changing 'tonewoods' ever again... :)

Changing tonewoods/fretboard woods can have a lot of impact on the sound you hear straight out of your amp in your bedroom, but in a live situation I don't think you'd notice all that much difference. Having said that, I think you would definitely notice the difference if the tonewood was replaced by a block of carbon fibre!

Glad your sound is good, bet that Warwick is a cracker!

I'd have to agree with you Muzz. I've always been of the opinion that tonewoods have a fairly subtle effect on tone. Player style/ability (that's #1 in my book) pickups/electronics and scale length will generally change your tone a lot more than the wood.

I'm glad there's one more person who might agree with me!

[quote name='Muzz' post='1313155' date='Jul 22 2011, 07:57 PM']Just goes to show what the biggest tonal influence on a bass is. I certainly won't sweat changing 'tonewoods' ever again... :)[/quote]

Unless you're playing accoustically, the pickups are always going to have a much greater effect on your sound than the wood the instrument's made from. Hell even for acoustic instruments; Stradivarius used wood that was so cheap and nasty that no luthier nowadays would allow it into their workshop.

Edited by lanark

is your fortress the one with an active preamp? ive got two fortresses, one with standard MEC P/J pusps and pre and another with SD basslines P/J and pre. I have to say that for me theres not a HUGE difference between the two but the SD loaded one is a bit louder! i'm too thinking about the wizard config in mine!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1313963' date='Jul 23 2011, 05:25 PM']As an aside, I'm going to form a Prog Metal band and name them after the title of this thread.

It was my idea first. :)[/quote]

that i like

im glad to hear the wizzards worked well in your bass, I plan to stick some nordstrands in my streamer stage 1 when I have the mollah

I have a Fortress Masterman and i would not dream of changing anything on it. It is the perfect bass for cutting through metal guitars, especially when using a death metal "clacking" sound like Blood Red Throne. However if the pickup upgrade works for you then great. I find the fortress one of the best balancing and comfortable basses to play.

[quote name='charic' post='1314474' date='Jul 24 2011, 09:31 AM']Maybe wizards just colour the sound a lot? I'm sure there are more 'transparent' sounding pickups out there :-)[/quote]

MEC's have a certain tone to them, for some people and some types of music they are great. For others less so.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1314824' date='Jul 24 2011, 03:19 PM']MEC's have a certain tone to them, for some people and some types of music they are great. For others less so.[/quote]

I've got MECs in my fortress and haven't ever thought about changing them, on the other hand though I'm dying to get them out of my corvette!

[quote name='lobematt' post='1315791' date='Jul 25 2011, 02:56 PM']I've got MECs in my fortress and haven't ever thought about changing them, on the other hand though I'm dying to get them out of my corvette![/quote]

i kinda want to try something else in my streamer, prob not for a year or so when I have money

How does it work with a SC pup in the bridge? not too hummey?

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1314552' date='Jul 24 2011, 10:53 AM']I have a Fortress Masterman and i would not dream of changing anything on it. It is the perfect bass for cutting through metal guitars, especially when using a death metal "clacking" sound like Blood Red Throne. However if the pickup upgrade works for you then great. I find the fortress one of the best balancing and comfortable basses to play.[/quote]

But that's no regular pick-up.
The MEC JJ is a [i]super[/i] pick-up.
It's great in the Fortress MM5 I own, and it'll do more besides Death Metal.
No coincidence that it's found in Infinity/Dolphin/Vampyre also...

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1317684' date='Jul 26 2011, 09:52 PM']i kinda want to try something else in my streamer, prob not for a year or so when I have money

How does it work with a SC pup in the bridge? not too hummey?[/quote]

Not that I've ever noticed!