Why become a member? ×

Octave Pedal Discussion

Jag_Bassist

hiya guys im looking into buying a new octave pedal and really like the sound of the boss oc-2 especcial the 8 bit sounds u can make with the dry taken all the way out....

Has any of you played the Guyatone Mo-3 pedal though? cant seem to find any sound clips of it on bass and figured this would be a good place to ask

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1306110' date='Jul 16 2011, 07:37 PM']If you like the sound of the OC2 then you need an OC2. No other octave pedal sounds like it. Fact!

Even with the popularity of them then still sell on eBay under £60 which is a lot less than most other brands.[/quote]

i have managed to find a oc-2 for 40 quid a few months ago and didnt get it! then after having a master class with paul turner and him showing us the setting for his oc-2 .... i had massive cravins for one haha

[quote name='Jag_Bassist' post='1307467' date='Jul 18 2011, 09:31 AM']one things for sure... never going to use a pog or a whammy for my octaves ;] horrible sound[/quote]

Yup, like trying to use a cat to spread butter.

[quote name='Jag_Bassist' post='1307449' date='Jul 18 2011, 09:14 AM']Does anyone know exactly what note the oc-2 starts to loose its tracking on?[/quote]

It's around the G# on the E string.

I'll agree with tbe comments on the EBS-it's a great pedal,which is why I use one for clean octave sounds. But the OC2 is more dirty and synth-y.

Don't forget the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. It's got the grindy, synthy OC-2-ish sound [i]and[/i] the clean, smooth EBS-type sound in one box... and you can blend the two.

Granted, it's not [i]quite[/i] the OC-2 sound, but IME it tracks a bit better/lower. With a solid, loud input, it seems pretty happy down to about a low D... of course, you can't hear the octave signal properly down there anyway. :)

Hi folks,

I'm also in the market for a good octave pedal for a new Electro/Dance venture and was leaning towards either the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe or Boss OC-3. The reason being I can actually try these two out.
I see there's plenty of positive feedback for the Boss OC-2 (I had one of these waaaay back in the day but never really got along with it) along with the EBS Octabass and the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe but no mention of the current Boss offering - the OC-3. Is it that bad a pedal or is it because there are better options out there?
Do you guys have any feedback/suggestions regarding the Boss OC-3 v MXR BOD?

[quote name='Wil' post='1310408' date='Jul 20 2011, 03:15 PM']Thanks for that :)

I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon, not really my cup of tea, that sound.[/quote]
Certainly an acquired taste that doesn't work in most contexts!

Here's a bit of Tony Levin with octave:

There's also Michael Jackson's execrable "Earthsong", featuring Guy Pratt and an OC-2 (IIRC). God, that song makes my sh*t itch.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1310420' date='Jul 20 2011, 03:19 PM']Certainly an acquired taste that doesn't work in most contexts!

Here's a bit of Tony Levin with octave:

There's also Michael Jackson's execrable "Earthsong", featuring Guy Pratt and an OC-2 (IIRC). [b]God, that song makes my sh*t itch.[/b][/quote]

I just spat my coffee :)