Why become a member? ×

Seemingly obscure Japanese bands

retrohelix

I've come across 3 Japanese "prog" bands in the past few weeks that I'm finding completely inspiring, and couldn't go without recommending to somebody. If anyone has any further Japanese progressive oddness to share, please go ahead and post them :)

[b]mouse on the keys[/b] - maybe not so much prog, but just brilliant, hear for yourself...

[b]ruins[/b] - chaotic duo of bass and drums

(prog rock medley, see how much songs you can guess. there's 39...)

[b]kenso[/b] - no one song from them could do them any justice. check out the related links on YT for more.

Edited by retrohelix

[quote name='retrohelix' post='1301857' date='Jul 13 2011, 03:13 AM']What have I done now? :)

Mustering all my remaining brain cells, I'm going to guess it's something to do with the prog medley...[/quote]

Don't worry, it's nothing you've done mate. :lol:
It's just something that always happens when someone mentions 'japanese' and 'obscure' in the same sentence.
If you'd mentioned 'cross dressing' at the same time you'd already understand my reaction... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1301850' date='Jul 13 2011, 03:05 AM']I will personally hunt down and sing sea shanties at the first person who puts THAT video up again... :)[/quote]
:)

I love sea shanties. Check out The Keelers, George Unthank's north east group who sing shanties and pit songs. Beautiful stuff.

[quote name='thumbo' post='1302050' date='Jul 13 2011, 10:40 AM']And what would a thread about obscure Japanese bands be without the mightily insane [b]Melt-Banana
[/b]
[/quote]

I love Melt-Banana!!

anyone mentioned [b]Boris[/b] or [b]Zeni-Geva[/b] yet?

I saw [b]ruins[/b], but the version with only a drummer, last year in Bristol. Hugely entertining.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='retrohelix' post='1301837' date='Jul 13 2011, 02:46 AM']I've come across 3 Japanese "prog" bands in the past few weeks that I'm finding completely inspiring, and couldn't go without recommending to somebody. If anyone has any further Japanese progressive oddness to share, please go ahead and post them :)

[b]mouse on the keys[/b] - maybe not so much prog, but just brilliant, hear for yourself...

[b]ruins[/b] - chaotic duo of bass and drums

(prog rock medley, see how much songs you can guess. there's 39...)

[b]kenso[/b] - no one song from them could do them any justice. check out the related links on YT for more.

[/quote]
I accidentally pressed play on all of the first three, so they played all at once. Sounds great!!!!

[quote name='silddx' post='1302013' date='Jul 13 2011, 10:09 AM'] [/quote]

That is absolutely brilliant ... and what a great bass line.

ps: I've just discovered that the "official" title of this track is [b][i]Kiraa Chuun [/i][/b] which is simply wonderful.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_(Tokyo_Incidents_Album)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_(Tokyo_Incidents_Album)[/url]

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='icastle' post='1301850' date='Jul 13 2011, 03:05 AM']I will personally hunt down and sing sea shanties at the first person who puts THAT video up again... :)[/quote]
When i saw the title of the thread I was expecting it to be in here already.
Good job you nipped it in the bud!
Thanks for the links, there's some good stuff there.

[quote name='silddx' post='1302013' date='Jul 13 2011, 10:09 AM'] [/quote]

Could possibly just be my headphones here... but that is an insanely rockin' bass tone. Not what I'd usually go for, but good song as well.

[quote name='thumbo' post='1302047' date='Jul 13 2011, 10:36 AM']Check out [b]Toe[/b]. Their album 'For Long Tomorrow' is a thing of beauty! It's not prog. It gets dubbed post-this and post-blahblahblah, but who cares.. it's a good'n.

[/quote]

Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for :) Thank you.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1302226' date='Jul 13 2011, 12:42 PM']I love Melt-Banana!!

anyone mentioned [b]Boris[/b] or [b]Zeni-Geva[/b] yet?

I saw [b]ruins[/b], but the version with only a drummer, last year in Bristol. Hugely entertining.[/quote]

Boris are one of my all time favourites, they should be a househould name by now D:

[quote name='51m0n' post='1302236' date='Jul 13 2011, 12:49 PM']Best gig I ever saw was Ground Zero, they were the most incredible thing I have ever witnessed on a stage:-

*edited YT videos out to save space

I could go on....

:)[/quote]

That's mental. Thanks.

Edited by retrohelix

[quote name='retrohelix' post='1302597' date='Jul 13 2011, 05:05 PM']Boris are one of my all time favourites, they should be a househould name by now D:[/quote]

Definitely!

I'm looking forward to going back through this thread on my home computer. Then I can see the linked videos and know what people are talking about!

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1302539' date='Jul 13 2011, 04:10 PM']I downloaded a couple of Deerhoof tracks off the Gibson web site. It's not just the name that's odd.[/quote]

Deerhoof are from San Francisco! Although Satomi does sing some tunes in Japanese. They're technically 1/4 Japanese :) but they have that Japanese "charm" about them that comes from the singer.

They're one of those bands that change a lot from album to album. I think they've released 11 albums, so there's a lot to get through. However... Friend Opportunity and Offend Maggie are standout albums IMO. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yc2cjjemmA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yc2cjjemmA[/url]

Edited by thumbo