Why become a member? ×

Musicman sound from precision

buff

I can make my g&l -2000 sound pbass ish

If i solo the neck pickup and switch to series it sounds a bit like a pbass. a bit thicker but it has the series wiring tone shaping.

I think a sterling has a series switch so you might be able to a similar effect, but not the other way round! and not with stingray which is wired in series.

[quote name='buff' post='1301368' date='Jul 12 2011, 05:48 PM']Im guessing as both have a humbucker type pick up, it would involve fitting a prea amp of some sort . Anyone had any success ?[/quote]

NO chance.

The single most important factor is the position of the pickup, and the P-type is way off.
A Jazz pickup at the MM position will give you "some" of the character, in fact. maybe a P-type at that position will work to some extent... but not at its usual position.

The preamp modifies teh sound, but you need the right starting point to sound anything like a Stingray.

Similarly, a Stingray will not sound anything at all like a P bass... but when you have basses with a MM pickup at the P location, you get some P-like sounds. Not quite like a Precision, but in the ballpark.

Location, location, location :)

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='1301381' date='Jul 12 2011, 05:55 PM']I can make my g&l -2000 sound pbass ish[/quote]

True. And it's roughly in the P location.

But the bridge one sounds nothing like a MM, although it can sound a bit "Jazz bridge"

Very different pickup types, and different positions...

I have a decidedly un-jazzy Squier Jazz V DeLuxe... then I found the bridge pickup is closer to the neck than on a normal Jazz, so no surprise.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1301370' date='Jul 12 2011, 05:50 PM']Precisions don't have humbucker type pickups?[/quote]

True, it's a single coil, split, and wired such that they are in a humbucking configuration. So a lot of people just consider them humbuckers.
But they're not true humbuckers in the sense that each string only has a single coil "picking up" its vibrations.

Either buy both basses if you want both tones, or buy something that can do both. A variax would be a good place to start. And although it can't do P, the warwick corvette $$ can do just about any other bass (J, MM etc) you could want pickup config wise.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1301415' date='Jul 12 2011, 06:46 PM']Either buy both basses if you want both tones, or buy something that can do both. A variax would be a good place to start. And although it can't do P, the warwick corvette $$ can do just about any other bass (J, MM etc) you could want pickup config wise.[/quote]

I had a Corvette $$, great bass, great many different sounds. But one thing it did not do was "Stingray"

[quote name='mcnach' post='1301478' date='Jul 12 2011, 07:31 PM']I had a Corvette $$, great bass, great many different sounds. But one thing it did not do was "Stingray"[/quote]

It can have the pickup configuration of one, which is a damn sight more than most basses which dont have a specific mm pickup have.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1301525' date='Jul 12 2011, 08:10 PM']It can have the pickup configuration of one, which is a damn sight more than most basses which dont have a specific mm pickup have.[/quote]

Yes, but if it doesn't *sound* Stingrayish... :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1301585' date='Jul 12 2011, 08:57 PM']Yes, but if it doesn't *sound* Stingrayish... :)[/quote]

Depends how pedantic you wanna be, a $$ sounds a lot more stingrayish than a P/J i think. IMO stingrays sound different in everyone's hands i've heard them in. Also, if you want to side with the only stingrays sound like stingrays camp then I think you're being unnecessarily pretentious about your instrument, in that you can eq and filter a stingray and something else a million different ways, and i bet you wont tell the different for a whole bunch of samples if they were made to sound similar, and also in that it's taking an elitist attitude and essentially saying 'nothing else can compare.'

[quote name='dc2009' post='1301614' date='Jul 12 2011, 09:22 PM']Depends how pedantic you wanna be, a $$ sounds a lot more stingrayish than a P/J i think. IMO stingrays sound different in everyone's hands i've heard them in. Also, if you want to side with the only stingrays sound like stingrays camp then I think you're being unnecessarily pretentious about your instrument, in that you can eq and filter a stingray and something else a million different ways, and i bet you wont tell the different for a whole bunch of samples if they were made to sound similar, and also in that it's taking an elitist attitude and essentially saying 'nothing else can compare.'[/quote]

It's down to much more than the pickup configuration. I've owned a $$ and it was a very versatile bass (more so than my Stingray), but it didn't sound at all like a Stingray, even with the bridge humbucker solo'd. Same for my old G&L L2000.

And just to prove that I'm not being "pretentious", the only bass I've owned that got close to the Stingray tone was a cheap and cheerful Ibanez ATK. That did sound very like a 'ray and could also do a good P tone as well, as it happens!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1301614' date='Jul 12 2011, 09:22 PM']Depends how pedantic you wanna be, a $$ sounds a lot more stingrayish than a P/J i think. IMO stingrays sound different in everyone's hands i've heard them in. Also, if you want to side with the only stingrays sound like stingrays camp then I think you're being unnecessarily pretentious about your instrument, in that you can eq and filter a stingray and something else a million different ways, and i bet you wont tell the different for a whole bunch of samples if they were made to sound similar, and also in that it's taking an elitist attitude and essentially saying 'nothing else can compare.'[/quote]

Hold your horses dude! :D

I'm not being pedantic, I owned both basses side by side for some time. That Corvette $$ was my main bass for a couple of years, and for another two I kept it and used it alongside my various OLP and later "real" MM Stingray basses. I am simply speaking from my own personal hands on experience. That Warwick was a great bass and super-versatile... but it never sounded like a Stingray. I'm not saying better or worse, just not like a Stingray. At all. For whatever reason.

Pretentious? Bloody hell, where do you get that from? :lol:

YOU are the one implying that "nothing else compares", I never said such thing. So please, chill a bit. It's only a f***ing bass! :)

Selling that Warwick was very hard, because it had a fabulous tone and punch. It had a "thump" even unplugged that I haven't found in another bass yet, unfortunately the neck profile was not for me and it ended languishing in my guitar rack.

Saying that bass A does not sound like bass B is not passing a judgement on the quality of either of them.

Be cool now, alright? :)

If you want a close sound, put a MM type pup down near the bridge as per a MM.
You'll have to accomodate a pre amp to go full MM... and I doubt it will be cheap.

Might as well think about getting an MM... as all their design spec was to update the classic P-bass anyway..so same sort of Dims, feel, etc

Thats answered a few question's and caused a few arguements as well :) Have had a jazz with a MM emg in the bridge position but it didnt really give that sound, so the pre amp does help also. Had a MM but found the neck to wide, so i wont be getting a MM in the forseable future.