Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003

Guest MoJo

On 29/12/2023 at 18:37, MoonBassAlpha said:

Anyone have strong thoughts on the Seymour Duncan replacement pickups?

I've just acquired one with these fitted, but no point of reference.

They're both humbuckers,  so  at least it is quiet. The neck one seems to have quite strong string pull.

20231229_171837.jpg

Never tried the SD's in a 4003, I was tempted by them for a while when I had my first one, but I held off because it sounded so good. Same with the current one.

If you like them, great.

Reading through this topic, I note the comments about them being uncomfortable because of the sharp front edge. I just don't lean my arm on that sharp edge and the problem is solved.

These are my Rics.
I've had a few decent replicas and have sold them all because I decided why bother with replicas when the real thing is sat looking accusingly from a corner muttering 'take me out'.

The BB gets less use as the value has gone through the roof.
The MID still has the bleed in the binding, but plays like a dream.
The FG and W get the most use,, though.

ric_fg.JPG 

ric_bb.JPG

ric_mid.JPG

ric_w.JPG

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I like the baby blue one, was that a limited edition colour?

Looks like you need a black one! ;)

The second one is the 'Blue Boy' finish (BB) - it was a limited edition in 2002 when this bass was made.

Funny story - I took the Fireglo and the Blue Boy to a gig in Manchester. It didn't occur to me that the BB was Manchester City FC colours and we were playing at Old Trafford. It stayed on a stand behind my bass rig.

• Haha 4

I've had a request for pics of my very recently acquired 4003.  I didn't buy anything in 2023 (I completed the abstinence thread), the shop was shut on New Year's Day and it wasn't listed on the web site.  So after trying it on New Year's Eve the 2nd Jan was my first purchasing opportunity - duly taken with a deposit down about 20 minutes after the shop opened, balance paid, bass collected and back home by 1:30pm. 

I went to the shop to try out a pre-owned Fender American Pro Jazz, but saw the Ric so tried it too.  I've already got a white jazz (as you can see, albeit fretless) and the Ric interested me way more than the American Pro.  It ticks a lot (my wife hopes all) of my remaining gas boxes:

• A natural finish
  • A maple fretboard that isn't roasted (I have a short scale Ibanez that is beautifully roasted - not shown in the pics as it is headless)
  • Fret markers that aren't dots (though I do have very pretty ones on my acoustic 6 string pictured next to the Ric)
  • An iconic bass that wasn't designed by Leo Fender (there aren't many of them)
  • A sound I don't really get with my other basses, particularly with a pick

Although I didn't buy it for the Ric-o-sound, I'm starting to see possibilities which is making me think about affects again (which I didn't beyond those I already had at the start of my abstinence year). 

(Excuse the slippers - they aren't doing much for my street cred).

Ric by fireplace.JPG

Ric on wall.JPG

Ric me and fireplace.jpg

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, Simon C said:

I've had a request for picks of my very recently acquired 4003.  I didn't buy anything in 2023 (I completed the abstinence thread), the shop was shut on New Year's Day and it wasn't listed on the web site.  So after trying it on New Year's Eve the 2nd Jan was my first purchasing opportunity - duly taken with a deposit down about 20 minutes after the shop opened, balance paid, bass collected and back home by 1:30pm. 

I went to the shop to try out a pre-owned Fender American Pro Jazz, but saw the Ric so tried it too.  I've already got a white jazz (as you can see, albeit fretless) and the Ric interested me way more than the American Pro.  It ticks a lot (my wife hopes all) of my remaining gas boxes:

• A natural finish
  • A maple fretboard that isn't roasted (I have a short scale Ibanez that is beautifully roasted - not shown in the pics as it is headless)
  • Fret markers that aren't dots (though I do have very pretty ones on my acoustic 6 string pictured next to the Ric)

Although I didn't buy it for the Ric-o-sound, I'm starting to see possibilities which is making me think about affects again (which I didn't beyond those I already had at the start of my abstinence year). 

Ric by fireplace.JPG

Ric on wall.JPG

Ric me and fireplace.jpg

Ooohhh that is very nice and oddly enough you had a space on your wall just for a Ric bass. 

Enjoy and have fun. A Ric bass is on my "to do" list altho i did have one briefly in 80's but it didn't work in the band i was in at that time.

Dave

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Simon C said:

I've had a request for picks of my very recently acquired 4003.  I didn't buy anything in 2023 (I completed the abstinence thread), the shop was shut on New Year's Day and it wasn't listed on the web site.  So after trying it on New Year's Eve the 2nd Jan was my first purchasing opportunity - duly taken with a deposit down about 20 minutes after the shop opened, balance paid, bass collected and back home by 1:30pm. 

• A natural finish

Ric by fireplace.JPG

Ric on wall.JPG

Ric me and fireplace.jpg

Great pic......... and your slippers match your shirt.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Ooohhh that is very nice and oddly enough you had a space on your wall just for a Ric bass. 

Enjoy and have fun. A Ric bass is on my "to do" list altho i did have one briefly in 80's but it didn't work in the band i was in at that time.

Dave

Yes odd that It just fits the space on the wall. There are no more hangers to provide support. So it’s stop buying, or one in one out. Or decide to become a collector (I could fit 7 more hangers in the music room and study).  I think I’ll struggle to get that past the missus though - so a simple player I shall stay.

23 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

I have a little Kemble studio piano just like that. Lovely thing.

I paid about £300 for it 20 years ago. It plays and sounds great. I’ve never felt the need to look for anything else.

12 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Great pic......... and your slippers match your shirt.

Thank you.  Sartorial elegance has never been my strong point, so it’s good to know I’ve managed a wardrobe match.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Simon C said:

I've had a request for pics of my very recently acquired 4003.  I didn't buy anything in 2023 (I completed the abstinence thread), the shop was shut on New Year's Day and it wasn't listed on the web site.  So after trying it on New Year's Eve the 2nd Jan was my first purchasing opportunity - duly taken with a deposit down about 20 minutes after the shop opened, balance paid, bass collected and back home by 1:30pm. 

• A natural finish

Ric by fireplace.JPG

Ric on wall.JPG

Ric me and fireplace.jpg

Just curious which shop you picked this up from?  There seemed to be a few of these walnut Rics that hit the UK last year... and then they quickly seemed to vanish / get sold!

11 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

The 4003W is a lovely thing - doesn't feel like a regular Ric to me.

2020.01.26.04.jpg

I'm curious about your comment Ian, what makes you say this?  I'm especially interested in your opinion because you have so many other Rics!    

48 minutes ago, tvickey said:

Just curious which shop you picked this up from?  There seemed to be a few of these walnut Rics that hit the UK last year... and then they quickly seemed to vanish / get sold!

I was looking on Andertons site, and they suggested that Rick's are being produced in smaller numbers,  and there can be a long wait to get them (and the prices seem to be going up too).

Maybe it IS a good time to sell after all...

2 hours ago, tvickey said:

I bought it from Guitar Guitar in Epsom.  It is a 2022 model.  If my understanding of the serial numbers is correct then it was built in the 22nd week (a bit coincidental maybe that it's the 22nd week of 2022), but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it arrived in the UK in 2022.  It was pre-owned - the guys in the shop said the previous owner said it was sat in the case which is why he got rid of it.  I didn't see any other Rics in there.

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Simon C said:

I bought it from Guitar Guitar in Epsom.  It is a 2022 model.  If my understanding of the serial numbers is correct then it was built in the 22nd week (a bit coincidental maybe that it's the 22nd week of 2022), but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it arrived in the UK in 2022.  It was pre-owned - the guys in the shop said the previous owner said it was sat in the case which is why he got rid of it.  I didn't see any other Rics in there.

The bass looks brand new, so that's great!  Good deal!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tvickey said:

The bass looks brand new, so that's great!  Good deal!

Yes I thought so too.  Despite having bought it with a good chunk of my work bonus (of which I gave my missus half) I fully expect to have to justify the purchase once she is up from her sick bed.  I've been paving the way by telling the kids that I'd get more than I paid for it if I decided to sell, and by the time I pop my cloggs they'll be able to buy a house each with the proceeds. Hopefully they'll get the message to Mrs. C before I do - it will reduce the information requirement significantly and generally be better received coming from them 🙂.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Or does it lose zing because the body is not maple. Aaaaah, we enter the tonewood paradox!

Nowadays Rickenbacker basses are all maple through neck construction, so it's only the body wings that are walnut on the 4003W and 4003SW. I also hear more zing from my 4003SW and wonder whether it's due to the lack of the thick gloss finish that is used on most of the other colours? Saves a little weight too.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2023 at 18:37, MoonBassAlpha said:

Anyone have strong thoughts on the Seymour Duncan replacement pickups?

I've just acquired one with these fitted, but no point of reference.

They're both humbuckers,  so  at least it is quiet. The neck one seems to have quite strong string pull.

My 4003SW had the SD pups fitted when I bought it. The previous owner included the originals so I swapped back. To me the SD took something away from the classic Rickenbacker sound and eccentric output mis-balance between the bridge and neck pups. I'm perfectly happy with the Rickenbacker pickups and sold the SDs on here, making my 4003SW a bit cheaper too.

• Like 1