Why become a member? ×

Rounds on an Acoustic Bass?

Linus27

My Washburn AB10 is currently strung with Bronze string but I was wondering how it would sound with normal roundwounds. Is this worth trying or has anyone tried this and can let me know if its worth doing or are Bronze strings a better choice for acoustic basses?

I thought they all came with bronzes!! lol. Anyway you can put what ever string you like on them (within the relms of sanity) That metalic zing of rounds and bronzes on an acoustic has a certain charme but when you put Black Nylon wounds on............

Once you've tried Black you'll never go back :)

A

[quote name='apa' post='1291740' date='Jul 4 2011, 07:12 AM']I thought they all came with bronzes!! lol. Anyway you can put what ever string you like on them (within the relms of sanity) That metalic zing of rounds and bronzes on an acoustic has a certain charme but when you put Black Nylon wounds on............

Once you've tried Black you'll never go back :)

A[/quote]
OT but which black nylons do you use? I tried some Roto TruBass on my Eko fretless acoustic and they were too plasticky sounding. I'm currently using TI Flats on it

[quote name='Clarky' post='1291742' date='Jul 4 2011, 07:24 AM']OT but which black nylons do you use? I tried some Roto TruBass on my Eko fretless acoustic and they were too plasticky sounding. I'm currently using TI Flats on it[/quote]

Thanks for the replies guys, makes me wonder why acoustic basses ship with Bronze strings as standard.

Clarky, thanks for asking. That would had been my next question :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1291742' date='Jul 4 2011, 07:24 AM']OT but which black nylons do you use? I tried some Roto TruBass on my Eko fretless acoustic and they were too plasticky sounding. I'm currently using TI Flats on it[/quote]

Im actualy using Trubass nylons on my Kingman. Yes I agree there is a plasticy element to them but with a bit of tweeking of the eq and gentle playing you can realy get a nice warm psudo DB sound (For want of a better term since you will never get that true DB sound from anything other than a DB). Im actually awaiting delivery of some GHS Nylons as we speak and in a couple of weeks I should have an Ashbury Fretless which is making my mouth water :)

A

I may give flats a go as well as some rounds to see what they both sound like. I am not after any sort of DB tone but something thats warm but with definition. The Bronze strings sound perfectly ok although they do clank about a fair bit.

I always use bronzewounds on my Washburn AB. Usually Elites though had some Adamas strings off ebay which were great too.
I just like the overall tone that bronze gives, so never felt the need to change really.

[quote name='casapete' post='1292305' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:36 PM']I always use bronzewounds on my Washburn AB. Usually Elites though had some Adamas strings off ebay which were great too.
I just like the overall tone that bronze gives, so never felt the need to change really.[/quote]

Same with me. I like my acoustic bass guitar to sound like a low-register acoustic guitar. Which is what it is.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1291790' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:49 AM']Thanks for the replies guys, makes me wonder why acoustic basses ship with Bronze strings as standard.

Clarky, thanks for asking. That would had been my next question :)[/quote]
I like the La Bella black nylon tapes, very lively and deep at the same time. Good tension.

Never tried them on an acoustic though. Edit: I lie! I did, they sounded deep but on my Washburn AB10, they seemed to sound quieter than the Phosphor Bronzes. Wonder why I forgot that :S

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Linus27' post='1291675' date='Jul 4 2011, 12:04 AM']My Washburn AB10 is currently strung with Bronze string but I was wondering how it would sound with normal roundwounds. Is this worth trying or has anyone tried this and can let me know if its worth doing or are Bronze strings a better choice for acoustic basses?[/quote]

So to answer your question Linus27................... erm dunno cuz it dont look like anyones actually tried standard rounds on an acoustic :) :lol: :)

A

[quote name='apa' post='1292595' date='Jul 4 2011, 07:29 PM']So to answer your question Linus27................... erm dunno cuz it dont look like anyones actually tried standard rounds on an acoustic :) :lol: :)

A[/quote]

See post #2.......

[quote name='paul_5' post='1291882' date='Jul 4 2011, 10:34 AM']Mine came with phosphor bronze strings - in the hot weather they can turn your sweat green, which came as a bit of a surprise.[/quote]

Jeepers!!!!!

That's really suffering for your art! :)

I've tried nickel roundwounds, D'Addario Chromes, and ended back on phosphor bronze again. I'd like to give the plastic coated a shot, though.

I've got phosphor bronzes on my Crafter 5 string ABG. I really like the fact that they're bright enough (but not too bright). The only downside is all the muck that comes off on your fingers :)

I've tried normal stainless steel rounds - didn't like it as it made the Washburn I had previously sound too much like an electric. So, off they came & on went a set of Bass Centre flats which were an improvement.

Cheers,
louisthebass