Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Museum Tour

Bilbo

This was another early favourite of mine.....

Follow the links to the other tracks on that LP. Some great sounding bass (not flash, just gutsy). The drummer, Andy McCulloch was a monster too but he left the music biz and now charters yachts and teaches sailing somewhere hot.....

Thanks for the thread Bilbo. I think the bass player's surname was spelt 'Briley'. I saw Greenslade whenever they played in Glasgow. I was a big fan. I have the album in question but preferred the first two albums especially 'Bedside manners are extra'. Tony Reeves was the bass player on the first three albums with Briley replacing Reeves for the fourth album 'Time and Tide'. In fact you've inspired me to dust down the albums and stick them on the turntable.

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1290947' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:53 PM']This was another early favourite of mine.....

. The drummer, Andy McCullough was a monster too but he left the music biz and now charters yachts and teaches sailing somewhere hot.....[/quote]

im pretty sure this is the same drummer who used to play with a group round the south coast called Shy limbs in the late 60s. They were a three piece with a hammond and Greg Lake played bass and sung, and they often ended up on the same bill as we were on at the time.

I seem to recall they got another bass player after Greg Lake left, but eventually ended up as the heaviest duo you can imagine.

Andy was awsome.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1291410' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:27 PM']Tony Reeves is actually a Basschat member - and also the MD of MTR Audio.[/quote]

Wow! I didn't know Tony Reeves was a basschat member. If you read this thread Tony can I just say thanks for some memorable gigs that I will never forget.

I have all of their LPs (yes, vinyl) and love them all. Reeves was great (have transcribed some of his stuff in the past as well) but I just liked the noise Briley (Sorry, Martin. Should have checked the spelling - I last read the sleeve in about 1986) made and, in many ways, the T&T LP is the least dated of the catalogue. Because noone ever mentions him, I thought I'd give Martin his 5 minutes of fame.

Then I found this on Wikipedia!!

[i]
Briley has received orchestral commissions, and has written songs for such artists as Céline Dion, *NSYNC, Dream, Michael Bolton, Mietta, Kenny Loggins, Pat Benatar, Jessica Andrews, 5-Star, Jeff Healey, Rebecca St. James, Nana Mouskouri, Willie Nile, Gregg Allman, Nightranger, David Hasselhoff, Patrick Swayze, Michael Monroe, Chastity Bono, Peter Tork, Nikki Webster, Hope Partlow, Natascha Sohl, Ballas Hough, Phil Stacey, Orianthi, The Maine and Barry Manilow.[/i]

BUt, yes, Tony Reeves is great. I also think Dave Lawson was one of the most underated singers of that era (and he played keyboards alongside Dave Greenslade). Great band, lots of talent.

I picked up the first album on vinyl on a whim in the early 80's as I was discovering the more progressive end of rock. Subsequently got all the other studio output. Lawson's voice is a bit of an acquired taste but he doesn't sound quite like anyone else that's for sure. They knitted double keyboards, bass and drums together really well. I loved the pic of Tony Reeves in the gatefold of the first album, looked like somebody who lived on the streets (sorry Tony if you are reading). Played like an absolute monster though. Looking at Briley's wiki entry he's not even really known as a bass player, more guitar and keys. Obviouisly a talented guy too.

[quote name='KevB' post='1291871' date='Jul 4 2011, 10:24 AM']Looking at Briley's wiki entry he's not even really known as a bass player, more guitar and keys. Obviouisly a talented guy too.[/quote]

Yeah, but if you can play guitar and keyboards, bass can't be that hard..... :)

I saw Tony Reeves at a demo tour late 70's for Burns basses along with guys from MM Sound desks.

My first bass demo and what a player. He could play just as good live as on the albums. I was extremely impressed by Mr Reeves.

Great memories :)

Cheers
Dave