Why become a member? ×

Short notice 'mates' dep gigs... don't you love em! LOL

warwickhunt

I was asked by a friend of a friend if I'd dep for his covers band as their bassist had dropped them in it for two gigs; a wedding do and a 50th birthday party... "Don't worry I've seen your band and you will already do or know the sets anyway" he says. Liar! :)

Turns out that of the 24 songs that I have to do on Saturday, I'm familiar with 6 of the 24 (3 of those I've never ever tried to play but at least I can hum them). :P

Problem is that several of the songs are just plain unknown to me; Don't worry baby - Los Lobos, Celebrate - An Emotional Fish (never even heard of the band), Rescue Blues - Ryan Adams, Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young + others

I'll blag my way through this with the help of cheat sheets but the moral of the story; ensure you get the full run down on songs before you accept gigs for mates (especially at 'mates rates' gigs where you are going to get £50 for doing a wedding gig where you need to be at the venue from 4.30). :) :lol:

Oh and I'm not whinging, just thought I'd share a recent experience. :D

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1287450' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:08 AM']Problem is that several of the songs are just plain unknown to me; [snip] Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young[/quote]

How can you not know Cinnamon Girl? I'm sure you'd recognise it if you heard it!

Most covers it's possible to learn the chord charts then do bits of improv, most cover band songs don't rely on the bass riff. Put in the time and it shouldn't be too hard. I've learned entire sets of originals for bands I've never even heard of before in 2-3 days (3 times in fact), just practice like mad.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1287464' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:14 AM']How can you not know Cinnamon Girl? I'm sure you'd recognise it if you heard it!

Most covers it's possible to learn the chord charts then do bits of improv, most cover band songs don't rely on the bass riff. Put in the time and it shouldn't be too hard. I've learned entire sets of originals for bands I've never even heard of before in 2-3 days (3 times in fact), just practice like mad.[/quote]
Honestly, despite the fact I've played in bands for 31 years I've never encountered Cinnamon Girl... never been a great NY fan tbh!

As I play a bit of guitar I'll be watching the guitars for some of the bridges etc but the main bass parts I can busk if I know the keys. I love the fact that they said the track 'Celebrate' by An Emotional Fish has a great bass intro... :) :) Turns out it's not exactly rocket science to play but it is a bit of a beggar when you just don't have any memory recall of how a song goes. Luckily any of the key changes are down a tone to another sensible key (A to G for instance) so I'm not in at the deep end with silly key changes.

Oh well, back to practice.

Are the rest of the band only getting £50 for the wedding gig?

Not being all diva-like but that's gonna be like 7+hrs work for that money.... Seems incredibly low for a wedding booking? Hope the money's being split evenly and youre not being diddled..?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1287468' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:20 AM']Ha.. I've been there with the same band. Canny lads, they are...!

I hate that Emotional Fish song. I'd never heard of it either.

Rescue Blues is nice...[/quote]
They are dead canny and easy going. Wish I'd known you'd done it previously, I'd have picked your brains. :)

[quote name='woodster' post='1287483' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:28 AM']Are the rest of the band only getting £50 for the wedding gig?

Not being all diva-like but that's gonna be like 7+hrs work for that money.... Seems incredibly low for a wedding booking? Hope the money's being split evenly and youre not being diddled..?[/quote]
If you knew the band you'd realise that the money is totally irrelevant, they just play what they want to play and enjoy it. We won't be doing any silly 'wedding sets', it's just their regular pub bluesey sets and the gig may even be for their mates anyway. I'm almost certain that it's a straight split between the 6 members with no hidden 'off-takes'.

<edit>

I should add that the singer has been to see my band on numerous occasions and even though I don't know any of the other guys, they are all straight up lads who just like playing in a band. It's defo more of me helping friends/fellow musicians out rather than a paid dep... as a matter of fact I have a strict policy with my band that I personally don't do weddings 'whatever the pay'! :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='Sibob' post='1287629' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:10 PM']And the public know any of those songs?? :-P

Si[/quote]
I am guessing that whoever booked the band have seen them before? (but £50 ??? for 7 hours)

Edited by BottomE

[quote name='BottomE' post='1287632' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:11 PM']I am guessing that whoever booked the band have seen them before? (but £50 ??? for 7 hours)[/quote]
It sounds crazy, but these guys are just happy to play. You know the sort... dead enthusiastic and that.

[quote name='Sibob' post='1287629' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:10 PM']And the public know any of those songs?? :-P

Si[/quote]
Not my band so in that respect I don't mind... I personally won't take a booking for a wedding as I dislike them intensely but this is a mate asking a favour NOT me doing a wedding per se.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1287632' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:11 PM']I am guessing that whoever booked the band have seen them before? (but £50 ??? for 7 hours)[/quote]
That is my assumption; as for the money. Looking back over the last 30+ years, if I did this for the money I'd be bankrupt! :)

I'm assured that this will be a nice relaxed gig with like-minded folk wanting the band, so I'm viewing it is an evening out whereby I get paid for playing some songs with new acquaintances. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1287644' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:14 PM']It sounds crazy, but these guys are just happy to play. You know the sort... dead enthusiastic and that.[/quote]

Certainly not knocking the band, simply commenting on how people are often completely inept at catering for the majority of their guests. Unless of course they know for a fact that everyone has relatively obscure musical tastes, in which case, I'll shut-up :)

Si

The saving grace is that it seems that no one is too fussed about a strict wedding set ..so you can tell the band what you know and go from there.

A freind of mine was booked by a local act as a dep and this guy isn't used to these sorts of things so he set about his homework fervently for a pub type set..
The booking band then told him..after giving him a set of 45 songs to learn for a potential fee of £50..that he was only on stand-by as the guy might be able to make the flight home anyway.

So all that work and no gig and NO money.

Two things came to mind there.... f*****g cheek and f*** off

[quote name='JTUK' post='1287673' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:29 PM']The saving grace is that it seems that no one is too fussed about a strict wedding set ..so you can tell the band what you know and go from there.[/quote]

Trouble is, 99% of the time, that translates to 'None of the crowd are too fussed about the band'

Si

[quote name='JTUK' post='1287673' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:29 PM']The saving grace is that it seems that no one is too fussed about a strict wedding set ..so you can tell the band what you know and go from there.

A freind of mine was booked by a local act as a dep and this guy isn't used to these sorts of things so he set about his homework fervently for a pub type set..
The booking band then told him..after giving him a set of 45 songs to learn for a potential fee of £50..that he was only on stand-by as the guy might be able to make the flight home anyway.

So all that work and no gig and NO money.

Two things came to mind there.... f*****g cheek and f*** off[/quote]

Oooooh ! that's gotta sting a bit.
i share your sentiments

Dave

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that every party/wedding HAS to have 'typical' function band set, but organizers should be acutely aware that to achieve a decent vibe at an event, you have to cater for the masses, rather than settling for more leftfield individualistic choices to save some money.

To be fair, any band worth their salt should be able to present a 'standard' setlist in a way that is different and exciting anyway!

Si

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1287485' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:29 AM']They are dead canny and easy going. Wish I'd known you'd done it previously, I'd have picked your brains. :)[/quote]

Or volunteered Michael for the gig! :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1287726' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:57 PM']I'm glad this is not my wedding lol[/quote]
I'm 99% certain that the band was booked as a direct result of either being fans of the band and/or mates of said band. I do concede that Si is right, there is nothing worse than a band just doing their normal thing to almost 'spite' the assembled masses at a wedding but this does appear to be a laid back affair.