Why become a member? ×

Hondo Rickenbacker

jacethebass

Hi all

I'm currently looking for a Hondo II Rickenbacker bass copy but would like a second opinion on these.

Basically can you tell me anything and everything about these. The one I'm looking atm has stereo output and he believes it is a solid body but I heard the Hondos were ply, whos right, how do they sound, build quality, feel, and how much would you pay for one of these?

Thanks in advance

Jason

[quote name='jacethebass' post='1281342' date='Jun 24 2011, 06:23 PM']Basically can you tell me anything and everything about these. The one I'm looking atm has stereo output and he believes it is a solid body but I heard the Hondos were ply, whos right, how do they sound, build quality, feel, and how much would you pay for one of these?[/quote]

I had one, it was definitely ply. I ripped the electrics out and stuck them in a rockinbetter. It now rocks better IMHO (though the hondo was lighter and perfectly fun and decent). Pay no more than £200 and you can't go wrong.

The 80's Hondo ricky copies were quite cheap a nasty
try and find a Ibanez copy, thats what Bruce foxton used in the Jams early days
Untill he could afford the real thing
or the latest rockinbetters seem quite good quality

Jay

Although, as Bassassin used to point out, the Ibanez was probably the [i][b]least [/b][/i]faithful copy of any of the Rickenfakers.

If it's the LOOK you're after then the Hondo not's too bad, but I'd still recommend searching for a better instrument.

Jon's own Rickenfaker is a Kasuga and he swears by it.

Just avoid the Kay at all costs. :)

I have just got a retrovibe one in fireglow and its great , its got musicman type pickups which may not look anything like the rick ones but they really pack a punch ,somewhere between a p bass and a musicman theres a natural one in the for sale section here for £190 with the case which is a steal if you ask me !

Edited by gub

A Hondo was my first attempt at a 4 to 5 string conversion and it was the bollocks. Single EMG 35DC in the bridge position with Pickguardian surround and 4000 style pickguard.

I get the feeling that the guy who bought it is or was on here. I remember he had a 4002 as well which is almost as rare as the 4005.