Why become a member? ×

SP210 Vs RS210

waynepunkdude

I`ve played a Terror through the SP210, and have heard BurritoBass playing through that combination. They work very well. For me, the sound was perfectly loud enough - shockingly so in fact - but just not enough depth.

The TC cabs I`ve no experience of, but when I was looking at getting a new cab I had a fairly long chat with The Bass Merchant, who advised that TC cabs are very clear, modern, "hi-fi" sounding cabs - which put me off, btw. Tho as there`s a tweeter control, I`m sure this can be adjusted to roll off some of the "hi-fi" sound. Plus, being bigger, I would suspect that it may have a bit more depth to the sound.

If I was going to get an SP cab, it would be the SP212. I tested it at Orange down south, and it was loud, VERY light, VERY small, and quite 'middy'. There wasnt a lot of bottom end, but thats to be expected.

The RS210, to my ears, is a very very good 2x10! I bought two after hearing praise on talkbass, then hearing them in person stacked at the Bass Merchant.

I sold a Berg cab....yes, a Berg cab, to get them. I didnt want another squat 4x10, although I would have liked to have kept the Berg, but nevermind!

Im quite picky with cabinets. I like warm punchy mids, plenty of bass, but not a shrill high end....cant stand plasticky tweeter sounds, (and thats a little like what the Berg did with the tweeter IMO.

Id sum up the RS210 as:

Small, easy to move, well made, handles volume, slightly delicate finish (needs the £18 cover), punchy, smooth high end due to the tweeter, plenty of lows, low mid kick. They are probably inbetween vintage and modern in terms of tone.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1278361' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:53 AM']Been offered both

The SP210 for £350 the RS210 for £300

Which would be the better cab for the Bass Terror.[/quote]

Mate I wish I known when you came, you could have tried it through my rs210,

But I am not sure Id let you in my music room for fear of what you would do to my Sunburst P bass

If your nearby again soon come and try

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1278388' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:09 PM']I`ve played a Terror through the SP210, and have heard BurritoBass playing through that combination. They work very well. For me, the sound was perfectly loud enough - shockingly so in fact - but just not enough depth.

The TC cabs I`ve no experience of, but when I was looking at getting a new cab I had a fairly long chat with The Bass Merchant, who advised that TC cabs are very clear, modern, "hi-fi" sounding cabs - which put me off, btw. Tho as there`s a tweeter control, I`m sure this can be adjusted to roll off some of the "hi-fi" sound. Plus, being bigger, I would suspect that it may have a bit more depth to the sound.[/quote]

+1 on the SP210 thoughts. Plenty loud but it is a small cabinet so not a huge low end. My thoughts on how I use it and why are all over the other threads about the OTB.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='1278892' date='Jun 22 2011, 06:56 PM']I am not convinced by isobaric cab designs. They ahven't been necessary for about 20 years.[/quote]

Well I don't think it being necessary is ever going to be the view on these cabs. I cant really see anything being 'necessary' except an amp and a speaker,,,, however portable, lightweight, small footprint and high in power is the concept.

I use my Terror through an RS210. Doesn't sound HiFi at all. Tweeter off of course. If I want a bit more oomph (just showing off really) I stick my RS112 underneath it too.
I'm very pleased with the match up. The SP210 that I tried at the time was nice too. I just preferred the TC cab.

Neither, save some money and order something from Barefaced.

The SP210. For a 2x10 "technically" it sounds to me like a 1x10 a little dead, and probably a little bit more low end due to the second speaker pushing more air through the port. Because it's so low however to use it effectively at gigs you'll have to raise it and I'm sure it weighs 18kgs!! For something that small and the volume/sound it produces it could weigh far less.

The tc. Sounds as it should, pretty even sound and you only have to wedge it up to hear it while stood up. But just because it's got a tweeter and isn't specifically geared towards vintage sounds doesn't mean you can't EQ out the hi-fi ness.
It's 19kgs however. My S12T weighs that and probably goes a lot louder and sounds considerably better at those higher volumes.

It comes down to what you need really.

Personally I found that the Barefaced midget was fine for rehearsals and gigs with the OTB, but I want the cleanest flattest sound out my rig and not vintage so the head wasn't for me overall, but the added bass in the OTBs pre-amp produced a full sound even through the tiny 1x12.

I say get the midget, at 9kgs it's easyier to manage will still do clean hi-fi esque to vintage and will most definatly louder than the orange, maybe for the TC but as it's got better dispersal due to it's height the midget will probably be louder when right infront if it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1280768' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:43 AM']How far can I push this cab? I have a 250W head to me that'd mean I could push it all the way[/quote]

When we played with the Members last time Chris very kindly tested the cab by pushing the Terror through it at way past any level I've done before. It came through without a problem.
I'm sure it could take 250 watts.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of the RS 210 cabs. Only thing putting me off is the rear porting. I've had difficulties with too much volume on stage with rear ports in the past.... I find front porting makes more sense. Any one else noticed that with the TC cabs, or do they project forwards very well?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jesso' post='1301147' date='Jul 12 2011, 10:25 AM']I'm thinking about picking up a couple of the RS 210 cabs. Only thing putting me off is the rear porting. I've had difficulties with too much volume on stage with rear ports in the past.... I find front porting makes more sense. Any one else noticed that with the TC cabs, or do they project forwards very well?[/quote]

I don't know if it's due to the rear porting but after gigging my OBT 1000 with a RS210, I really don't like how it projects. I find it has no punch or throw whatsoever. And I feel it only has kind of windy, lazy bass. I've used it in rehearsal, mid size venues and on big outdoor stages. I also used it alone and paired with the RS212. Even with the latter I felt it had no punch and no impact. No chest thumping. Volume-wise, I was surprised that only the RS210 was enough with a loud rock band.

It's a shame because up close to the cab (1 feet away and at ear level), the cab sounds so good...! But in playing situation on stage, and I tried to move around a bit, but nothing did it. Only muddy, airy bass.

On the basis of hearing a RS210, albeit with its designated amp, the RH750, I'd go for this over a single 10" any day of the week.

But I'd also be looking to pr up that cab with another RS210 asap. Then you'd have a rig, I'd be pretty confident could handle anything that amp could throw at it.

In generally, I don't think a single 210 has the guts to do most gigs most of the time. Small pubs maybe, and at a decent level, maybe..but I'd want the insurance of another cab on a decent stage.