Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Hot looking Lakland DJ..

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1274295' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:24 AM']yep for sure.. but do you think it matters.. not saying either way but does it make a bad bass?[/quote]

Yep. Definitely. Sorry but if Squier can get it right, a £2000+ Lakland should be amazing. It's poor attention to detail which even my £120 SR P Bass got right lol.

No offence of course, it's a nice looking bass, as are most Laklands. I just don't trust their quality now.

The edge of the fret board so if you pulled the bridge over to align the G you would have the same issue with the E. You could have it centred so the E and G got equally worse from nut the heel, Alter the neck width to suit at the heel end or make a new bridge to splay the string spacing to fit equally across all four strings. Does that make sense?

I think the string should follow the line of the fretboard and be equi_distant on both strings. For this reason, I like adjustable rollers on the bridge.

I have noticed that obviously different width necks at the nut need these measurements tweaking, so custom builds are most prone to
the line up from peg to bridge being a problem.
This shouldn't be an issue at all for production runs, so if these things are out, that is poor QC or workmanship, IMO.

[quote name='risingson' post='1273828' date='Jun 18 2011, 03:29 PM']I've seen these but I don't like them, at all in fact, they look cheap IMO at least. Also I didn't think of them as the natural successor to the DJ, but I suppose there was a large market for afterstock preamps in the DJ's so I guess that's what they're doing.[/quote]
It looks all wrong to me. The warped bell plate is particularly horrible. The pups would look good on a different shape bass, but not on this one. Ugly.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1275519' date='Jun 19 2011, 11:39 PM']The edge of the fret board so if you pulled the bridge over to align the G you would have the same issue with the E. You could have it centred so the E and G got equally worse from nut the heel, Alter the neck width to suit at the heel end or make a new bridge to splay the string spacing to fit equally across all four strings. Does that make sense?[/quote]
No, it doesn't make sense. Look at a bass on Sadowsky's website for example, things line up. This is just sloppy work and the fact that you can make it just as bad on the other side of the neck doesn't mean it's good work.

[quote name='silddx' post='1275711' date='Jun 20 2011, 11:28 AM']It looks all wrong to me. The warped bell plate is particularly horrible. The pups would look good on a different shape bass, but not on this one. Ugly.[/quote]

I agree. Personally i think the Chi's are very retro looking and suit the Decade and Hollowbody much more than this bass.

Then again i think they make any bass look like my first ever guitar that came from Woolworths.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1274287' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:16 AM']That G is way too far into the board. 100%.[/quote]

Yep. Damn sloppy work. I can't believe some of the sh*t I see on instruments costing over a grand. You can also see the A and D clearly don't line up over the inlays too.

Edited by silddx

Wow, Lakland are getting slammed!

I agree if you're paying upwards of a grand for a bass you should be getting a much better level of QC but I really can't fault mine. In fact it killed my Fender Jazz stone dead in terms of playability and sound, so much so I sold the Fender recently.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' post='1275800' date='Jun 20 2011, 12:33 PM']Wow, Lakland are getting slammed!

I agree if you're paying upwards of a grand for a bass you should be getting a much better level of QC but I really can't fault mine. In fact it killed my Fender Jazz stone dead in terms of playability and sound, so much so I sold the Fender recently.[/quote]

Ive had 5 Skylines and none had any issues. I also had 3 MIA Fender Jazz basses last year that were miss aligned in some way.
Both my Squiers are spot on.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1275803' date='Jun 20 2011, 12:38 PM']Ive had 5 Skylines and none had any issues. I also had 3 MIA Fender Jazz basses last year that were miss aligned in some way.
Both my Squiers are spot on.[/quote]
I think that's just the way things are. One wonders about the competency of whoever does the final quality inspection checks though.

[quote name='Wil' post='1273800' date='Jun 18 2011, 02:48 PM']I love the look of those Chi Sonic pickups. Nice looking bass.[/quote]
We have the 44 and 55 in stock in GuitarGuitar Epsom if anybody was struggling to find one?

Also got a couple of Laklands with the Chi Sonic pickups as well.

I was looking at a DJ5 about a year ago and I liked it in terms of playing, sound and feel.
There was a another bass that caught my eye and ear so I bought that.
I can't say I really really looked it over like I would have had I been really serious but a friend of mine on here did and panned it..so I'll take his POV on it.

I have to say there was £400 difference in the the bass I bought and the DJ5 on sale, but in terms of everything, there might as well have been over £1000 plus...
On reading things on here, and my own personal observations, I don't get the impression that £1000 outlay is any garauntee that the bass will be decent

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1275779' date='Jun 20 2011, 12:15 PM']No, it doesn't make sense. Look at a bass on Sadowsky's website for example, things line up. This is just sloppy work and the fact that you can make it just as bad on the other side of the neck doesn't mean it's good work.[/quote]
Hmm I don't think your understanding my posts? I'm not defending it, I was trying to explain that your idea of it being bridge alignment doesn't make sense as that would just make either the (currently correct ) E string out or have to be half as bad but on the E & G strings, The only proper fix would be to fit a bridge with wider spacings possible or taper the neck more at the heel end. I'm not sure I can explain myself clearer does anyone else understand me or am I insane :)

[quote name='risingson' post='1275800' date='Jun 20 2011, 04:33 AM']Wow, Lakland are getting slammed!

I agree if you're paying upwards of a grand for a bass you should be getting a much better level of QC but I really can't fault mine. In fact it killed my Fender Jazz stone dead in terms of playability and sound, so much so I sold the Fender recently.[/quote]
I've seen great Laklands too. I think people need to remember this is one bass and not all things Lakland getting slammed here.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1276127' date='Jun 20 2011, 09:36 AM']I don't get the impression that £1000 outlay is any garauntee that the bass will be decent[/quote]
I couldn't agree more. I think the odds go up and they're more likely to be setup well but I've seen enough multi thousand dollar basses that are blown away by my Peavey Foundation to know price only guarantees how much you paid for it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1276239' date='Jun 20 2011, 11:33 AM']Hmm I don't think your understanding my posts? I'm not defending it, I was trying to explain that your idea of it being bridge alignment doesn't make sense as that would just make either the (currently correct ) E string out or have to be half as bad but on the E & G strings, The only proper fix would be to fit a bridge with wider spacings possible or taper the neck more at the heel end. I'm not sure I can explain myself clearer does anyone else understand me or am I insane :)[/quote]
Well if you're insane it should be easier for us to communicate :)

I see what you mean. I don't agree that the outer strings should be parallel with the fretboard edge though. They need much less overhang by the nut than the 12th fret so I expect the fretboard edge to follow closer to what another strings path would be. So on a 4 string the fretboard edge would be somewhere in the middle of where the outer strings of a 6 string would be with that spacing. I think in this case a simple remount of the bridge splitting the difference and centering things would remove the one flaw on this bass (not counting the pearloid pickguard of course).