Why become a member? ×

Jam night question

davethebassman

Hi All

I have been plating bass now for about 4 months, in that time I have learned well 4 songs, and a shed load of arpeggio's and other related stuff.

I have been asked to go along to a local jam night. What is the usual form of a jam night at a local pub, is it similar to a folk club night where each person takes the stage and does something individually (difficult for a bass guitarist) or is it that you are invited to join the "house" band.

Cheers n beers for any help / guidance
Dave

Take your bass but leave it hidden in the car boot, Go and get a pint and watch for the first week and maybe just introduce yourself. If its a quiet night and you fancy a go pop to the car and grab your bass, shout up and tell them what you know (12 bar is a must and maybe all you need IMO) jump on and enjoy! If its busy and you feel like you dont know enough just watch and enjoy then go home and learn a couple of numbers from that night as most people will tell you "Its the same songs every week". Next week go in all guns blazing and blow them away! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1265200' date='Jun 11 2011, 06:38 PM']Take your bass but leave it hidden in the car boot, Go and get a pint and watch for the first week and maybe just introduce yourself. If its a quiet night and you fancy a go pop to the car and grab your bass...[/quote]
I know it might [i]seem[/i] like a week, but it's really only an hour or two, honest.

Scientists call it the 'Jam Night Infinite 12-bar Time Dilation Effect' :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1265200' date='Jun 11 2011, 06:38 PM']most people will tell you "Its the same songs every week".[/quote]
Well of course, am i meant to improvise over unknown material?? Then I'd seem like even more of an amateur :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1265295' date='Jun 11 2011, 07:53 PM']I know it might [i]seem[/i] like a week, but it's really only an hour or two, honest.

Scientists call it the 'Jam Night Infinite 12-bar Time Dilation Effect' :)[/quote]
Thats very true I'm sure if you sip your pint it can actually span more than one week! "Mustang Sally!" :)

[quote name='ZMech' post='1265299' date='Jun 11 2011, 07:59 PM']Well of course, am i meant to improvise over unknown material?? Then I'd seem like even more of an amateur :)[/quote]
There is a bloke at our jam who literally plays the root note from start to finish with the odd accidental thrown in but never the right one so he goes off a semi tone here and there other than that if they tell him it's in G that's what he plays over and over out of time too :) We all start somewhere though so give it a bash.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

OK, permit me to get serious for a moment.

Dave, if you know just four songs and you plan on going to a jam night, then I'd really think hard before agreeing to go up on stage. Most players at these nights, even relative beginners, are likely to have a wider repertoire than that and will expect you to as well.

If you want to get up to some sort of speed quickly, then get a Best Of Jimmy Reed album and learn to play most/all of those songs.

For all sorts of very sensible reasons, jam nights are built around 12-bar blues. The Blues Boom of the 60's in this country wasn't founded on Howling Wolf or B.B. King but on Jimmy Reed, and more stuff played at jam nights is based on his songbook than any other.

IMHO, of course.

For starters, check out:

Baby What You Want Me To Do
I Ain't Got You
Take Out Some Insurance
Shame Shame Shame
Big Boss Man
Bright Lights, Big City

That gives you NOT just six songs, but also the songs that are based on (or just plain copied from) those six songs.

Then learn Red House (Jimi Hendrix) and you're ready to go.

Make sure that the guy who runs the list knows that you have a limited repertoire, and he should put you up with friendly musicians who will help to carry you.

Hi, Just a quick follow up to what Happy Jack is saying. Yes I have a limited playlist, the songs which I know are:

Highway to hell
Midnight Hour
Green Onions
Autumn Leaves

and of course the crowd fave Summer of 69

I know 12 bar blues in C, G, D and E and can improvise around the 12 bar blues where necessary

My Bass tutor would rather me learn 1 song "well" rather than learning 50 songs "poor" and I am sure that players feel the same

thanks for your suggestions and help to date
Davethebassman

Go along to see how this particular jam night plans out.

Some are lead by good players who put together a session on a quiet night for them..and they may pull in a few favours from mates so it could be quite good.
It is normally an excuse for a pub and leader to occupy a quiet night when nothing is going on for both.
For players, it is a good way of meeting people...but you have to take advantage of it..and be worth a call-back.

Go along and have a go..and top marks for doing so...but after 4 months you might not be ready.

Other nights are put together by people who can't get a gig...and it can be a case of the blind leading the blind.

If this is a step up from your bedroom...know the lie of the land and what is expected, be in tune..know the notes on your bass and know the song you are going to play. If you can read gtr chord shapes, then that will get you out of a lot of trouble..

Good luck with it... if you are brave enough to drop in..you'll learn loads in a single session, I'd bet.

Come back and report how it went...??

Do the same shape that you are doing for a twelve bar in G but move it up two frets and you can play it in A too, Do that same pattern from whatever note as a start point and you can play it in all twelve keys. Play only the three notes in the shape to start with and you can't go wrong. Get a few verses under your belt until your happy with where the changes are (remember loads will tell you it's a straight 12 bar in D when it's not at all but easy enough to get around) then add a little bit of something to suit. I actually quite like a straight plucked root note bass line anyway so if your up for three numbers I usually do one as a regular 12 bar thing (dum de dum de dum de dum dum), next one straight almost pushing as a rock eighths things and finish the last song in shuffle/swing style at least then the three 12 bars in G don't turn out all the same (obviously change the order of the styles to suit if everyone else does). :)

[quote name='davethebassman' post='1265095' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:48 PM']I have been plating bass now for about 4 months[/quote]

You work in a seafood restaurant?

Sorry. More seriously.... If it was me in your position I would go along and just check things out the first time. Some jam nights can be very cliquey and what they really mean when they say "come down and join in" is "come down and watch us sad gits that can't get a paying gig".

If you like the set-up, the people and the music then go back again next time with your bass.

If you are by yourself (sometimes you get entire bands turning up!), let the "house" bass player know, as it is basically his spot you will be taking. You will also be using his backline unless the venue or organiser provides this, so it's only polite to ask him if he minds you changing his settings etc.

If you only know four songs, let the organiser know which they are. Chances are there will be other musicians there who will know them and want to play them - but the big issue is finding a singer that knows the tracks. Without that you will end up doing an instrumental version - better known as a "guitar solo".

There are some great jam nights around, where the cream of local musicians turn out month after month. Others are not so good...

Did a couple of jam nights as the' house' bassist... It was quite a buzz not knowing what was coming next - a few guys would want to play their own songs amongst the usual Johnny B Goode,Green Day,Oasis,All Right Now,Hey Joe etc,etc.

With the unknown material I used to keep it simple... get the chords from the guy/girl and play varying combinations of root,fifth,octave with a few runs for interest.If you can't get to speak before the song, get in view of the rythym guitar and follow the fingers.

Most of all have fun and don't worry if you bum a note, you are only ever one semitone out - just slide until it sounds good :)

Lot of good advice so far.

Learn some basic 12 bar blues.
Visit venue and get a feel for the event.
Let organisers know your preferances and limits.

One Jam session i used to attend started with full bands doing their spot for 1 or 2 tracks and handing over to another band.
That let everyone settle in, relax and from there it was mix & match.
Everyone new some basic tracks some of which were mentioned earlier like Alright Now, Johnny B Good, ZZ Top, AC/DC even some Floyd. All very well known tracks at the time.
Regularly get different versions of same song - simply done with a different feel and taking a ZZ Top track and giving it a Reggae feel was always good for a laugh amongst the hard rock fans.

Before I went on I always got a feel for the event and who and what was being played. Our events were a regular occurence usually a Sat afternoon which ran onto 5 or 6 pm and the band hosting the gig that night would then play their set from circa 8 or 9 pm.
The most important part is to remember you are there to enjoy yourself.
Don't be over critical of others and realise that we are all at different stages of learning and will continue learning thereafter.
If the event is done well it will be a good night and everyone will come away with a positive and happy feeling.

Have a good one

All the very best

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Get hold of a copy of the hal leonard "Blues Bass" book by ed friedland, that will give you everything you need to survive a jam night, most important thing tho' is to say thank you to the house bass player if he lets you use his gear, jam nights are mean't to be fun & remember we were all beginers once so don't be afraid to have a go, best of luck, mike b.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1265828' date='Jun 12 2011, 10:53 AM']Just don't play Red House. OK?[/quote]

Quote heard from a female non-player at a local jam night - "Don't they play any modern stuff or recent hits? We came here to be entertained!"

Thus, thought for the day -

"I am playing for free so that the pub can attract spending punters on a quiet night or am I here to make some friends, learn more and have some fun whilst the pub makes some money?"

Over to you................................. :)

[quote name='Jazzneck' post='1265876' date='Jun 12 2011, 11:42 AM']"I am playing for free so that the pub can attract spending punters on a quiet night or am I here to make some friends, learn more and have some fun whilst the pub makes some money?"[/quote]

After the first few weeks/months, it becomes: "I am spending the evening in the pub with my mates, entertaining them and being entertained by them. I don't give a monkey's what the pub gets out of it."

[quote name='Jazzneck' post='1265876' date='Jun 12 2011, 11:42 AM']....thought for the day - "I am playing for free so that the pub can attract spending punters on a quiet night or am I here to make some friends, learn more and have some fun whilst the pub makes some money?"....[/quote]
The house band gets a gig on a quiet night.
The pub gets punters buying beer on a quiet night.
The punters get to see their mates play.
The musicians get to meet other musicians and network.

Usually there are no negatives, other than a long, boring slow blues, hence the Red House comment!! A slow blues is the jam night equivalent of Stairway to Heaven or Smoke On The Water on Saturday morning in a music shop!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1265907' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:01 PM']The house band gets a gig on a quiet night.
The pub gets punters buying beer on a quiet night.
The punters get to see their mates play.
The musicians get to meet other musicians and network.

Usually there are no negatives, other than a long, boring slow blues, hence the Red House comment!! A slow blues is the jam night equivalent of Stairway to Heaven or Smoke On The Water on Saturday morning in a music shop![/quote]

- the house band gets paid for the gig?

[quote name='Jazzneck' post='1265912' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:04 PM']....the house band gets paid for the gig?....[/quote]
The jam I do is a paid gig for the house band.

As much as I love listening to players trying to turn my gear up to 11 I'm afraid I wouldn't do it if I didn't get paid.