Why become a member? ×

Which bass amp?

Steff

Hi,

decided to start this topic after I've been struggling for years to find the ultimate bass sound...

Basically, I am after a fat, deep sound with the "growl", with punchy low-mids and balanced, smooth top end. I play mostly with cover bands, but I do 4-5 original bands as well and I need an universal sound that would fit them all - from soul and r'n'b, to pop, funk, a bit of jazz, indie and rock. I do play mostly finger style, with the occasional slapping.

Now I've tried a lot of amps, but never found one that has all the qualities I need. Will try to list them all.

Gallien-Krueger MB series - a good little amp, sounded well all around, but lacked the power. Played with that one many years ago, so I don't have very clear memories...

Marshall DBS 72410 - a great combo, not bad for its value, but a way too heavy and didn't provide the warm punchy low-mids

Ampeg svt IIp preamp first with a cheap Crown amp, then with an Ampeg power amp - now I loved that one, but the amp wasn't as powerful as I needed. Probably the best all-around combination I've had so far. And that is the only Ampeg combination I like - all of the other ampegs sound very muddy to me in the lows...

Mesa bass 400+ - I sold that one here recently... What can I say - a great amp, but... too heavy, then it couldn't provide all the different sound variations I needed. Awesome for rock, but I couldn't get the right tone when playing slap, or playing soul or jazz...

Last one I bought here - it is an EBS TD650. Played 5-6 gigs already... It is a great amp too, very different to the Mesa, but I've found out I miss so much the dynamics of the valve amp I played with for a year... As for tone - it is great, but I kinda miss the punch the mesa had in the low mids.

So... I don't know where to go from here. As a full time bass player, I am keen on investing good money into the gear I use, just don't wanna waste the time, cos it takes 2-4 months to fully understand an amp, and then, every time you trade or sell/buy, you are wasting time and a bit of money...

Just to mention... this feels a bit weird, but I kinda like the tone of some Hartke amps, which amazes me in a way, cos they aren't really recognized as great bass amps and they aren't expensive either.

So... I am open to any advice and suggestions and will appreciate everyone's opinion, especially of the ones of you that has been gigging a lot lately.
Just to mention - I've tried Markbass, Genz-Benz and TC - definitely not my thing... they all kinda sound too shallow to me. Not SWR either.
I am currently using a MM Stingray5 and an Alembic Epic fretless, and 2 Schroeder cabs.

Cheers,
Steff.

Maybe try a totally different instrument instead? :) Thats a serious case of amp gas and Im not sure whats left to try, the Genz Streamliner 900 should in theory be the tool for the job from what you have said so far with a wider range of tones compared to most stuff and power aplenty. I prefer the Shuttle but its not going to be valvy enough by the sounds of things, Which GB amps did you try?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Steff' post='1264936' date='Jun 11 2011, 02:16 PM']So... I am open to any advice and suggestions and will appreciate everyone's opinion, especially of the ones of you that has been gigging a lot lately.
Just to mention - [b]I've tried.... Genz-Benz[/b] [snip] [b]definitely not my thing... they all kinda sound too shallow to me[/b].[/quote]
The Genz-Benz Streamliner changes all that. It WHUMPS.

I don't remember the GB models I've tried, definitely not the Streamliner tho... Would love to try one, the thing is and amp or a cab really shows it's advantages/disadvantages when gigging, in a room they all sound good :). As for trying another bass - I am thinking of getting a good jazz this year, probably a 5str Sadowsky, but I'll never part with my Stingray... it fits me so well, I think it's got something that many of the top basses can't provide...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1265033' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:01 PM']I meant try another instrument as in a trumpet or something :) The Ray5 is awesome anyway :)[/quote]

Lol, good point :lol: I do play drums as well, but my passion is for the bass...

[quote name='Steff' post='1265006' date='Jun 11 2011, 03:28 PM']I don't remember the GB models I've tried, definitely not the Streamliner tho... Would love to try one, the thing is and amp or a cab really shows it's advantages/disadvantages when gigging, in a room they all sound good :).[/quote]
Absolutely. Based on gigging it at least twice a week, and the Streamliner is the best amp I've owned by a long shot. It's reminded me what 'real' bass sounds like.

That said, the point has been made elsewhere that this thread is just going to be a list of everyone's favourite bass amps...

Yeah, you are right, I was just hoping everyone would read what I've said in the first post and will share opinion considering what I've described I am after and what I've tried so far... Really don't wanna turn that one into another junk topic.

[quote name='Steff' post='1265006' date='Jun 11 2011, 03:28 PM']I don't remember the GB models I've tried, definitely not the Streamliner tho... Would love to try one, the thing is and amp or a cab really shows it's advantages/disadvantages when gigging, in a room they all sound good :). As for trying another bass - I am thinking of getting a good jazz this year, probably a 5str Sadowsky, but I'll never part with my Stingray... it fits me so well, I think it's got something that many of the top basses can't provide...[/quote]

Well I tried a streamliner last week (900 version) - and was dead impressed. I was determined not to like it either, on grounds of being newfangled but it got me thinking I need to start saving up! It struck me as being really slick and light - whislt also being a serious bit of kit. The "less is more" approach seems to get it right, like back to basics but without feeling like you're missing anything. And it sounded superb in the shop (not a good road test I know :) )...really meaty, which might have something to do with all those values. I dunno. But it seemed to go really well with the ray I used, which not everything does. I'd love to hear that amp in a band situation. I haven't researched them at all, so can't comment on reliability etc.

[quote name='Steff' post='1265072' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:24 PM']Yeah, you are right, I was just hoping everyone would read what I've said in the first post and will share opinion considering what I've described I am after and what I've tried so far... Really don't wanna turn that one into another junk topic.[/quote]

In your OP you say you like the sound of Hartke but dismiss them because they are inexpensive, from my experience they are reliable well made amp I just don't get on with the tone.

[quote name='Hamster' post='1265165' date='Jun 11 2011, 05:56 PM']Ever tried an Eden? - I had a WT550 - an excellent, powerful and versatile amp with fantastic EQ - A WT800 might be your nirvana?[/quote]

I think I've tried a WT550 and it wasn't bad at all, but that was with another speaker cabs I had by the time. Gotta check if it does 2oHm though.

[quote name='Steff' post='1265169' date='Jun 11 2011, 06:00 PM']I think I've tried a WT550 and it wasn't bad at all, but that was with another speaker cabs I had by the time. Gotta check if it does 2oHm though.[/quote]

It does 2 ohms :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1265069' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:21 PM']Absolutely. Based on gigging it at least twice a week, and the Streamliner is the best amp I've owned by a long shot. It's reminded me what 'real' bass sounds like.

That said, the point has been made elsewhere that this thread is just going to be a list of everyone's favourite bass amps...[/quote]

[quote name='Steff' post='1265072' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:24 PM']Yeah, you are right, I was just hoping everyone would read what I've said in the first post and will share opinion considering what I've described I am after and what I've tried so far... Really don't wanna turn that one into another junk topic.[/quote]

Do I win anything for not recommending my favourite amp and reading the OP? :) I know the make is the same but thats not why I suggested it just thought it fitted the bill. I prefer the Shuttle (from the Ed Friedland clips mainly) as I dont even use the valve I already have so a more authentic valve drive isnt really my bag but I can appreciate why I does for others inc the OP.

[quote name='Steff' post='1264936' date='Jun 11 2011, 02:16 PM']Gallien-Krueger MB series - a good little amp, sounded well all around, but lacked the power. Played with that one many years ago, so I don't have very clear memories...[/quote]

Am I reading that right? What cab was it going through? I use an MB Fusion which is (IIRC) the same power section as an MB500 and it does fine. I'd be confident gigging it with one of my (GK Neo) 2x12s. I usually take both 2x12s around though for gigs, more elevation, speaker surface area and they're easy enough to manage that it's never caused me a problem.

There's people on here doing gigs (couldn't comment on size) with the MB200 and I personally played an MB200 through an 8Ohm 4x10 at the LBGS and while it wasn't drowning anything out, it was certainly holding it's own against the much more powerful amps surrounding it.

If you like the tone of Hartke amps, check them out. I was pleasantly surprised by an LH3500 I used recently at a festival gig. They are generally recognised as good amps, just inexpensive. If people like Wooten (IIRC) use them, they must have some merit.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1265069' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:21 PM']That said, the point has been made elsewhere that this thread is just going to be a list of everyone's favourite bass amps...[/quote]

Ineviably, but people suggesting their own amps can be of benefit too. If the OP takes opinions with a pinch of salt and looks at facts presented in posts, there's a lot to be learned. Asking for the "best" in an area that's down to opinion is basically asking for peoples' favourite anyway.

Of course I've posted in favour of my fave brand of amps so I would say that though. :)

Out of all the amps I`ve had, and used, I`ve found Hartke & TC Electronics to be the most versatile, so may be worth checking these out. Especially the Hartke LH series, from what I`ve read on here, tho I`ve no personal experience with them.